Would you choose a lower ranked school over a higher one?

Iknownothing

OK....this is getting ridiculously weird and wonderful. Just received my official funding letter from UM and they've now upped their offer to a point where I would be just stupid to say no.

Yes and no. It's 24K promised for the first two years, while it's 17K for the next three years + the ability to apply for additional summer funding/grants. I've been told summer funding is very easy to get as long as you have faculty support. Regardless, I'm certainly not complaining.

Yes and no. It's 24K promised for the first two years, while it's 17K for the next three years + the ability to apply for additional summer funding/grants. I've been told summer funding is very easy to get as long as you have faculty support. Regardless, I'm certainly not complaining.

Yes, the funding drops off after year two, but they've offered me (maybe you too) $8000 of guaranteed summer funding paid out in one lump sum over the first summer but intended to cover two summers and an additional $6000 to attend a summer institute. Have you received your official letter yet?

Yes, the funding drops off after year two, but they've offered me (maybe you too) $8000 of guaranteed summer funding paid out in one lump sum over the first summer but intended to cover two summers and an additional $6000 to attend a summer institute. Have you received your official letter yet?

Yeah, I got mine...same as you, minus that additional $6k--congrats on that. Regardless, it is still a good offer, especially since it does seem like Michigan is really committed to supporting their students with various awards/fellowships. I also was not expecting the guaranteed summer funding to be as high as 8k.

I bet you can bargain for that 6K, seeing as you have more than one offer!

Yeah, I got mine...same as you, minus that additional $6k--congrats on that. Regardless, it is still a good offer, especially since it does seem like Michigan is really committed to supporting their students with various awards/fellowships. I also was not expecting the guaranteed summer funding to be as high as 8k.

Contrary to what a lot of folks around here think, bargaining is not usually an option. Funding budgets don't tend to be all that flexible. My advice: take your already generous offer and don't attempt to wheel and deal. This kind of behavior has the potential to tarnish your relationship with faculty, staff, and your fellow grad students.

Contrary to what a lot of folks around here think, bargaining is not usually an option. Funding budgets don't tend to be all that flexible. My advice: take your already generous offer and don't attempt to wheel and deal. This kind of behavior has the potential to tarnish your relationship with faculty, staff, and your fellow grad students.

I wouldn't actual try to bargain, but I am curious what the program is/if it's something I could apply for...that's all.

@Transnational:

The SI provides advanced academic preparation in one of the following areas: humanities research methodology, laboratory research and research ethics, language study, mathematics, or social science research methodology. These courses and the weekly Summer Institute seminars are designed to enhance the academic experiences of the fellows as well as enrich their specific disciplinary research interests.

@Boring:

I'm not sure....it's worked well for me so far. And I think there is a difference between blatant and aggressive bargaining and polite honesty. I've never asked for anything, but both of my schools just know I'm honestly struggling with a tough decision.

Well, I wouldn't bargain directly (i.e. say "I won't go unless you give me this). But asking for things is perfectly ok, and often works. At Johns Hopkins I asked about getting money for language study this summer (ie the summer before I entered) and after initially telling me he didn't know whether it was possible, my potential advisor wrote saying I could get $5,000 for it. And I don't think I would have come off as pushy/aggressive: I simply asked if it was possible.

I wouldn't actual try to bargain, but I am curious what the program is/if it's something I could apply for...that's all.

The $6000 is funding to participate in the Rackham Summer Institute. Only students who get their funding through the Rackham Graduate School get that. You're probably getting your funding through the department, so no Summer Institute.

@Chiba,

It sounds like you know a thing or two about this. Did you go through the Summer Institute? If so, did you find it worthwhile and did the $6K help you relocate and settle in?

The $6000 is funding to participate in the Rackham Summer Institute. Only students who get their funding through the Rackham Graduate School get that. You're probably getting your funding through the department, so no Summer Institute.

@Chiba,

It sounds like you know a thing or two about this. Did you go through the Summer Institute? If so, did you find it worthwhile and did the $6K help you relocate and settle in?

It was fine. I did a language class for six weeks. Got one of my language requirements out of the way. Met a bunch of people. Hung out in Ann Arbor during the summer. Moved into a sublet at first and had the whole summer to find a great apartment. If they offered it to you and you have nothing else going on, not a bad way to spend the summer.

I would add that it depends on the situation. Most professors at various institutions I've been do encourage bargaining.

In fact, my POI/future supervisor at the U I've chosen had actively encouraged me to do so; with an offer from another place, she could leverage more $ from the dean to + my offer $4k.

My advice:

sound them out. If they really want you, they may be able to do something.

• 1 year later...

I would always go with the place that I think suits me best. Rankings bring out pettiness and elitism in people. I would feel that those working towards PhDs now are those in a position to subvert the rankings in future.

If you're willing to put the effort in, and your research is good then where you did it should be an afterthought surely, but alas that is not how it is.