CUNY J-School (and others!)

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of applying to journalism schools right now, and I just heard by email that I was admitted to CUNY journalism school. I'm still waiting to hear from Medill, Columbia, and NYU. I visited CUNY when I took the writing test and did the interview, and I loved it - the facilities and faculty seemed great. I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on the CUNY program or on any of the other programs.

Good luck to all!

Kevin

I've applied to CUNY too, and I received an email a few days ago that I THINK is an unofficial acceptance! (YAY!) I've also applied to NYU and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse, but I'm waiting for the decisions.

From what I've heard CUNY is fairly new but is really really good. I haven't visited the campus -- I'm from India and it was too expensive to do so, and I would love to hear more about it.

I got a similar e-mail from CUNY J-School, seemingly an unofficial acceptance. I absolutely love CUNY, the facilities of the J-School are amazing in my opinion, and the faculty are so helpful. It's a really personal environment and it's in the middle of the city, which is great. I'm specifically interested in their Urban Reporting program, but their other focuses are great too. It was my number one pick, but I'm still waiting on a fellowship offer from Syracuse Newhouse, and I'm also still waiting to hear from NYU and Columbia. Any thoughts on Syracuse & their programs?

Just figured I'd update a couple of things since I last posted... The unofficial acceptance email said that the actual decisions would be mailed March 8, so I'm hoping to see that sometime soon. I did see that CUNY just added Tom Robbins from the Village Voice as the "investigative journalist in residence," which sounds like an exciting faculty addition. I emailed a CUNY student from another forum who said that the students have developed a great reputation with media companies for internships in the city, a definite plus.

With regard to other schools, I received a similar unofficial acceptance email from the Reporting New York program at NYU, so that's also in the mix now...

I don't know that much about the Syracuse program other than the fact that they have a great reputation. I spoke with one of their magazine journalism professors a few months before I applied to schools and he seemed to really know his stuff and to love the field. I just decided to stick with programs in NYC and Chicago...

I just received the CUNY decision letter via post! And I have officially been accepted, with some (very) limited funding to boot. And I just got an email from Syracuse saying that I've been accepted there as well. Was a bit surprised by the latter -- they only accept, like, 15 people total in the Goldring Arts Journalism program! Still waiting for funding decisions from Syracuse and still waiting for a reply from the CRC department at NYU. It's going to be hard enough to decide between Syracuse and CUNY, and if I get accepted, then NYU too. All three sound soooo good. Frankly, considering my financial position, I'll probably just end up going to whichever works out the cheapest. Sigh.

So far I've just heard from CUNY and NYU, which will be a hard enough decision... Nothing from Medill or Columbia yet, but I'm kind of expecting to hear from both soon (maybe today or tomorrow?). I did notice that on the Columbia application page, if I log in to my application, it now says "application complete" instead of "application under review."

Got wait-listed at Medill this morning for IMC. You should be hearing soon I'd think. Best of luck!

So far I've just heard from CUNY and NYU, which will be a hard enough decision... Nothing from Medill or Columbia yet, but I'm kind of expecting to hear from both soon (maybe today or tomorrow?). I did notice that on the Columbia application page, if I log in to my application, it now says "application complete" instead of "application under review."

I am waiting on a reply from CUNY. The admissions office at the journalism school said all letters should be received this week. But there seems to be a disconnect between the journalism school and the main admissions. Is anyone else still waiting on a reply?

Hello to everybody. I am a broadcast journalist from Russia. I have applied to CUNY, SFSU BECA Dept, Emerson College and Boston University. I've already been accepted to CUNY and SF State and waiting for the other school's decisions.

If you choose between CUNY and SF State, what would you decide?

As I've got from googling, CUNY is a more respective place, but SF would really be the nice place to study...Both places are public. Would the difference be significant?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what you guys' undergraduate gpa was prior to applying to J-school? (MA Journalism) Also, what did you submit for your work experience. Published clips, academic papers? Also, what were your average GRE scores? I currently have a 3.45 cum gpa, I write for the college paper, and I'm taking the GRE in Nov. I would really appreciate your responses.