Admissions Mistake

Beth_OKState

Offer letters started going out this week but I hadn't heard from the school. I decided to call the contact person for the SLP program and she told me that they didn't have my transcripts yet. I had checked with them BEFORE the deadline to ensure they had everything and my paperwork was in order at that time. She referred me to the graduate office who confirmed that they did have my transcripts and they would RESEND them to the SLP program contact. The contact person called me the next day to let me know she had everything and would forward my application packet on to the professors for review. The problem is that I DID have my application in order and submitted before the deadline and now the offer letters have already gone out. Is there anything I can do without making the situation worse?

Offer letters started going out this week but I hadn't heard from the school. I decided to call the contact person for the SLP program and she told me that they didn't have my transcripts yet. I had checked with them BEFORE the deadline to ensure they had everything and my paperwork was in order at that time. She referred me to the graduate office who confirmed that they did have my transcripts and they would RESEND them to the SLP program contact. The contact person called me the next day to let me know she had everything and would forward my application packet on to the professors for review. The problem is that I DID have my application in order and submitted before the deadline and now the offer letters have already gone out. Is there anything I can do without making the situation worse?

Something like this happened to me. I sent them an e-mail asking if my application would still be considered the same way the others were since it was still sent on time. Luckily, it was and I was accepted. However - totally different field.

Why don't you email the same person who called you, making sure that you are still considered for admission as if they had received everything on time?

I don't think it would make things worse, and it might put your mind at ease

Something like this happened to me. I sent them an e-mail asking if my application would still be considered the same way the others were since it was still sent on time. Luckily, it was and I was accepted. However - totally different field.

We're on the same page about sending an e-mail. I sent one that said 'I'm concerned about the impact this may have had on being considered for the program. Have all of the spots been filled?' Instead of replying to the e-mail she called to let me know that she was forwarding my application on for consideration and completely sidestepped the question. I think she realizes it was her error and doesn't want to say anything else. I feel like I can't go around her because she works at the clinic and if I do get in, I don't want to already have a problem.

I think most graduate programs are understanding of this issue. Unless the department sent out all their invites at once, and even then I don't see any reason why they wouldn't consider you. But I agree with the others, I don't see how an e-mail to the department could hurt if you just explain what happened.

There's really nothing you can do at this point except for wait it out. The program knows that you submitted your transcripts on time in order to be admitted to the program. If they didn't have any more spots available they probably would tell you and not pretend that you still have a shot at the program. I would take solace in the fact that your case is now "special" because it was not put together in time and has been singled out from the rest of the herd. This may positively impact the professor's assessment of you.

I know exactly how you feel.

I applied to the MA program at my undergrad which luckily waived the app fee because I am a student there. About 3 weeks ago, I got an email from them saying they were missing my app. fee, my transcripts, and my GRE. I walk past the office two days a week, so I went in and asked about it, the lady there told me my app. was complete.

Fast forward a week. I get another email that says they still don't have my GRE scores. So, when walking by I went in AGAIN and spoke to them about it. It was a different person this time, and this person told me that the application was complete.

Yesterday I get a very friendly personalized email from Graduate Admissions reminding me that my application is still incomplete, and that in order to be considered I need to take care of this ASAP. I called Grad Admissions last night and they checked again and told me that they have everything that I need and just to ignore any future emails.

I'm taking bets that my application never goes to the department for review.

Hi Beth, I'm an SLP student myself so, trust me, I know how competitive the applicant field is. But, do you really want to even go to a school that did this?

Hi Daniela - I get what you're saying. The reason why I am considering this school is because their faculty have an really good reputation. Also, there are two people from my leveling study group that have been accepted. I don't see a lot of people mention classmates as a factor when they are choosing a grad school, but I think this is something that should be considered.

I agree that the person in charge of the admissions applications at this particular college may not be the best part of their program. :)

Hi Beth, I'm an SLP student myself so, trust me, I know how competitive the applicant field is. But, do you really want to even go to a school that did this?

I had something similar happen, although I had already been accepted. They actually lost the copy of my acceptance letter that I had to sign and return to them. I kept looking at my status online and I was still listed as having "applicant" status. I waited, thinking that they would notify me when it was time to register for classes. Then one day I was thinking it was getting pretty late and shouldn't I be registering. I contacted them and it turned out the registration period had already started. By the time they got it figured out, most of the classes I was interested in taking had already been filled. I wasn't happy.