5 yrs from now

For all those looking to enter the professional line (after doing the likes of MPP or MA-IR or similar programs), in 5 years from now, does it matter which program you studied? Or is it just the name of the university/school that matters?

5 years from now? I don't think either really matter if you're going into government (assuming that's what you're going for.)

I think the intervening variable is what you've done in the past 5 years that will be more important.

That being said, the program you studied will probably determine what you do during the first few years after graduation :P

Then again... I think it really depends on which sector you're working in, (federal government doesn't really care, but the swanky private sector is more picky.)

For all those looking to enter the professional line (after doing the likes of MPP or MA-IR or similar programs), in 5 years from now, does it matter which program you studied? Or is it just the name of the university/school that matters?

5 years from now? I don't think either really matter if you're going into government (assuming that's what you're going for.)

I think the intervening variable is what you've done in the past 5 years that will be more important.

That being said, the program you studied will probably determine what you do during the first few years after graduation :P

Then again... I think it really depends on which sector you're working in, (federal government doesn't really care, but the swanky private sector is more picky.)

Thanks for the reply. Giving my current situation, I might have to pick up a job in the private sector immediately after graduation to pay off my debts. Having done that I would like to return to the public sector after a couple of years.

define private sector and government.

In general, private sector is going to be more interested in an MBA than an MPA

if government = "US federal government," then the school is not as relevant, since everything is driven by the GS schedules anyway, which I don't think really factor for school prestige

if government = "world bank, UN, etc..." then school prestige definitely matters

define private sector and government.

In general, private sector is going to be more interested in an MBA than an MPA

if government = "US federal government," then the school is not as relevant, since everything is driven by the GS schedules anyway, which I don't think really factor for school prestige

if government = "world bank, UN, etc..." then school prestige definitely matters

A couple notes on this: US Federal Government is not all GS schedules. A healthy number of federal government positions are contractor positions and political positions (e.g. special/confidential assistant etc). You have basically one route to getting those gigs: connections. This isn't about the prestige of your school, it's about who you know in that fed agency.

Putting aside prestige (and at the risk of sounding like a calculating jerk), I'll put this point forward for debate: the top schools are going to have more hot shots who you will meet and who themselves will be successful in 5 years. Your hot shot classmates are the folks who will help you get ahead in the future. This doesn't have anything to do with prestige of the institution, just the relative awesomeness of the student body. Every school is going to have hot shots, but the more selective the school, the higher percentage of hot shots, and the better network for the future.

A couple notes on this: US Federal Government is not all GS schedules. A healthy number of federal government positions are contractor positions and political positions (e.g. special/confidential assistant etc). You have basically one route to getting those gigs: connections. This isn't about the prestige of your school, it's about who you know in that fed agency.

Putting aside prestige (and at the risk of sounding like a calculating jerk), I'll put this point forward for debate: the top schools are going to have more hot shots who you will meet and who themselves will be successful in 5 years. Your hot shot classmates are the folks who will help you get ahead in the future. This doesn't have anything to do with prestige of the institution, just the relative awesomeness of the student body. Every school is going to have hot shots, but the more selective the school, the higher percentage of hot shots, and the better network for the future.

Speaking as a federal contractor - I wish I could say there's a lot of prestige and better pay, but don't get your hopes up...

Smerd raises a good point though - what you're getting from a better ranked program is a network. You're going to learn more or less the same thing wherever you go - the quality of instruction and resources available might be a little better, but you're essentially buying a better network at a higher ranked school. You get jobs through networking, not through applying on websites, so the stronger and better connected your network, the better chance you have of getting the job you want.

The caveat though, is that you need a network in the field you want to go into. If you want to do international policy, and you're at a domestic school, there's not a lot of value in the network.

In undergrad it's okay to not know what you want to do - if you don't have a really clear vision of what you want after you finish grad school (and how your chosen program will get you there), it would be a really good idea to defer for a year and think through that. Case in point - I have an MBA from a top-25 school. I chose the school because they offered me a full scholarship. However, I have not really been able to use my network from there, since it's a manufacturing school, and I work in international development.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a few years out of Wagner (not yet five) but here are my thoughts:

Much of how you approach the professional world whether its the way you present yourself to future employers, the specific interests you develop, or the connections you make will be a function of the masters program you went to. For instance, most of my Wagner friends who did domestic work ended up taking their first post grad school job in New York.

That being said, the more you do to connect with interesting people in and out of your program, the more options you'll have. If you have your heart set on something then there is a good chance you will be able to figure out a plan to work towards it. If you're looking at people who have great jobs that you'd like to have and notice they all went to a few very select schools that are not like your school start looking out for great summer opportunities or network with professors at other schools through professional associations, conferences, etc. I know I'm repeating a point made by other posters but this aspect of the professional school experience cannot be emphasized enough.

The short version is that each school has its path of least resistance but ultimately you determine what you do.

Speaking as a federal contractor - I wish I could say there's a lot of prestige and better pay, but don't get your hopes up...

Smerd raises a good point though - what you're getting from a better ranked program is a network. You're going to learn more or less the same thing wherever you go - the quality of instruction and resources available might be a little better, but you're essentially buying a better network at a higher ranked school. You get jobs through networking, not through applying on websites, so the stronger and better connected your network, the better chance you have of getting the job you want.

The caveat though, is that you need a network in the field you want to go into. If you want to do international policy, and you're at a domestic school, there's not a lot of value in the network.

In undergrad it's okay to not know what you want to do - if you don't have a really clear vision of what you want after you finish grad school (and how your chosen program will get you there), it would be a really good idea to defer for a year and think through that. Case in point - I have an MBA from a top-25 school. I chose the school because they offered me a full scholarship. However, I have not really been able to use my network from there, since it's a manufacturing school, and I work in international development.