A Little Optimism

Amalia222

It dawned on me today that all of us applying this year are at a major crossroads in our lives. Once we get into grad school, the next two years, or five years, of our lives will be set. After graduate school, most of us will settle into our careers of choice. So we should embrace this moment---right now, this instant of crazy waiting and anticipation. After all, it is probably one of the most exciting times of our lives---anything could happen! We could go anywhere from here. We could end up at a school on the other side of the globe, or one right around the block from our houses. We have taken such leaps of faith, sending our applications out and hoping for the best, taking a stab at (we hope) greatness. What an exciting time! After we get that acceptance, our future path is set. So why not embrace the adventure, the not-knowing? How many times in your life will all the cards be in someone else's hands? Relax, and let the cards fall where they will.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I often think about that. I fancy myself an optimist.

On the other hand, there's the possibility of getting rejected from everywhere and having to play a whole new deck of cards.

I completely agree with you. Of course, it's a lot easier to say when we already have an admit. It can be really nerve racking waiting and waiting and then eventually not getting in.

I try to be optimistic about the process and it is exciting. But like newms said, it is so much easier to be happy about it AFTER you have just one admit. I didn't have a backup plan after I graduate (i would hate getting a job i have no interest in) so not getting into grad school would be stressful for me.

Glad to see some optimism posted in a time of high stress :)

Maybe it's just my faith talking here, but I feel like no matter what happens, it happens for a reason. Even before I had an acceptance, I kind of had to shrug and chalk it up to a higher power. If I was meant to get in, I'd get in. If not, then...there was something else I was meant to do, or I wasn't meant to get in until next year. I would work it out. In the meantime, I tried to focus on the fact that I'm healthy, and young, and I have all my family supporting me. I also am educated and capable of getting a job, so not getting in to grad school would not have been as bad as, say, going to Iraq. So I tried (even in my nerves and anticipatory hell) to focus on the positives. I just hope that for you all.