Brandeis 2011

moraurora

Any news from Brandeis? There was one acceptance in the beginning of february and since then it's been all quiet.

I know they do not have a waiting list, but I am not sure whether or not all acceptances have been notified. For every declined acceptance, they will accept a new candidate.

What are people's thoughts on the Sociology program at Brandeis?

I've heard they have a strong focus on qualitative research. I applied, but am more interested in the quantitative side of things, so will probably not be attending.

A professor of mine unfortunately suggested that it's apparently very common for Ph.D. students at Brandeis to "lose their way" and spend 10+ years before graduating. Outside of him, though, I haven't really heard much about Brandeis' reputation - I feel like there are only a select few Brandeis applicants (past and present) on these boards.

Edited by direshark

I've heard they have a strong focus on qualitative research. I applied, but am more interested in the quantitative side of things, so will probably not be attending.

A professor of mine unfortunately suggested that it's apparently very common for Ph.D. students at Brandeis to "lose their way" and spend 10+ years before graduating. Outside of him, though, I haven't really heard much about Brandeis' reputation - I feel like there are only a select few Brandeis applicants (past and present) on these boards.

Interesting. I am still waiting to hear from the social policy doctoral program at Brandeis (Heller). If I am to get in I would then apply to the sociology programso that I can do the joint degree.

The qualitative focus is good for me but hearing that students get "lost" doesn't sound so promising.

Interesting. I am still waiting to hear from the social policy doctoral program at Brandeis (Heller). If I am to get in I would then apply to the sociology programso that I can do the joint degree.

The qualitative focus is good for me but hearing that students get "lost" doesn't sound so promising.

I've been accepted to the polisci PhD program at Brandeis, and it's currently one of my two top choices. This morning I had a good conversation with a prof (who, coincidentally, mentioned that he does a lot of work with the sociology department), and have had encouraging contact with the department in general. I too was wondering about the length of time grad students there typically take to finish (one of the rankings websites listed the percentage of their students graduating within five years as something like 12%).

Department and university culture surely plays a big role in this, but it seems to me that the student has final responsibility for how long it takes him or her to finish. Of course, if they keep offering to extend the funding package, anyone might be tempted to stay around, no matter how responsible they are.

Good luck with your application!

did you hear from the social policy program from brandeis as yet?

did you hear from the social policy program from brandeis as yet?

I did. I was accepted but without funding rather waitlisted for funding. I was just notified I am third on the waitlist for funding but not sure what type of funding that is.

Have you heard anything?

I was also accepted without funding and wait listed for funding. Did they tell you the rank in the email itself? I do not know my rank in the waitlist, though ....

I did. I was accepted but without funding rather waitlisted for funding. I was just notified I am third on the waitlist for funding but not sure what type of funding that is.

Have you heard anything?

Hello Curlygrrl,

Yes to the Social Policy program. I just found out today as I am currently abroad. Did they tell you how many people actually received funding and what is the likelihood of being moved off of the waiting list? I just emailed the admissions office as well. I am praying that I am not ranked really low without any chance of making it off the list.

Hello Curlygrrl,

Yes to the Social Policy program. I just found out today as I am currently abroad. Did they tell you how many people actually received funding and what is the likelihood of being moved off of the waiting list? I just emailed the admissions office as well. I am praying that I am not ranked really low without any chance of making it off the list.

This is a direct quote as to what was shared with me:

"It's hard to predict what will happen, but you are third on the wait list for one of the three funded assets slots, which is very high on the wait list. "

Now I don't know how this works as if I recall they have a number of different fellowships/scholarships available with different funding arrangements. I do not know how many people receive funding but looking at the history on the results page it's not that much and some of those that do receive funding it is only partial tuition or worse no tuition but a small stipend.

Maybe though you asked specifics and then will be willing to share that information with us.

Edited by Curlygrrl

What I don't understand is whether silence means rejection or waitlist... And if it means rejection, why on earth they just don't notify people, because come on it's march 17th... This whole thing is really unprofessional, because I have rejections or waitlists from other schools but nothing, nothing from Brandeis.

Anyway, Bonkers, congragulations again :)

When were your other applications due? Most of my other applications were due in early December but Brandeis was due Jan 1st. Which program did you apply to?

What I don't understand is whether silence means rejection or waitlist... And if it means rejection, why on earth they just don't notify people, because come on it's march 17th... This whole thing is really unprofessional, because I have rejections or waitlists from other schools but nothing, nothing from Brandeis.

When were your other applications due? Most of my other applications were due in early December but Brandeis was due Jan 1st. Which program did you apply to?

I didn't apply to prrograms whose deadlines were in december...

Have you heard anything yet? Which program did you apply to? Hope all works out.

Have you heard anything yet? Which program did you apply to? Hope all works out.

I applied to sociology program. Haven't heard anything yet. Either waitlist or rejection, though I think it's the latter one...

I applied to sociology program. Haven't heard anything yet. Either waitlist or rejection, though I think it's the latter one...

You should e-mail in and ask- to have you wait this long is crazy and a bit rude actually

I am a little confused. According to the website, the sociology dept deadline was Dec. 15th. However, you stated you did not apply for programs that had due dates in December. Curlygirl, Why is this considered rude? From what I can see, Brandeis does not give a notice date for sociology or for social policy. It is actually rude to say that a program is rude because it does not reply at a convenient time for you. And, yes I am being a tad rude myself.

I am a little confused. According to the website, the sociology dept deadline was Dec. 15th. However, you stated you did not apply for programs that had due dates in December. Curlygirl, Why is this considered rude? From what I can see, Brandeis does not give a notice date for sociology or for social policy. It is actually rude to say that a program is rude because it does not reply at a convenient time for you. And, yes I am being a tad rude myself.

I was just reacting to not having heard by now- when the april 15th deadline is fast approaching. It's nervewracking and so I was sympathizing.... I didn't know or look into when the due date of the Sociology application was Johnnyquest2009- didn't even think to check. Nonetheless a late application does not excuse a lack of response by now

I always believe in e-mailing the grad coordinator- a nice e-mail can go a long way into getting some peace. Even when the news is bad I'd personally just rather know then wait.

The deadline was not in december. I am sure of that. Maybe they extended if after you checked out the website, but I am a hundred percent sure that I applied in January and this wasn't a late application.

I think that once the decisions are made, applicants should be notified as soon as possible. Making them wait until the end of march is rude and mean. You may ask why this is rude and mean. And I say, WHY NOT? Especially if you are an international student, and it takes weeks for the mail to arrive, the situation is a lot worse. And as far as I understand, A's W's and R's were decided many weeks ago. If the decisions are made, I see no point in making people wait in agony. I emailed Brandeis and they told me that they can't give results electronically. Now I am waiting for a letter which can arrive weeks later. And yes, I don't think this is right and fair.

Edited by moraurora

Yes, one can always email the coordinator. I did my time in that role when in grad school. Trust me, admissions offices check these sites as well and can usually figure out who is who. However, in regards to the sociology program. I dont see much "chatter" on the results website, except within the last day or two. So I assume that their decisions may or may not have gone out yet. What April 15th deadline are you talking about? Does the sociology program have an April15th deadline? It is possible, but I didnt look. I just think it is never good to call an admissions office rude because you have not heard anything.

I was just reacting to not having heard by now- when the april 15th deadline is fast approaching. It's nervewracking and so I was sympathizing.... I didn't know or look into when the due date of the Sociology application was Johnnyquest2009- didn't even think to check. Nonetheless a late application does not excuse a lack of response by now

I always believe in e-mailing the grad coordinator- a nice e-mail can go a long way into getting some peace. Even when the news is bad I'd personally just rather know then wait.

Yes, one can always email the coordinator. I did my time in that role when in grad school. Trust me, admissions offices check these sites as well and can usually figure out who is who. However, in regards to the sociology program. I dont see much "chatter" on the results website, except within the last day or two. So I assume that their decisions may or may not have gone out yet. What April 15th deadline are you talking about? Does the sociology program have an April15th deadline? It is possible, but I didnt look. I just think it is never good to call an admissions office rude because you have not heard anything.

As an international student I did not know of the April 15th deadline- till coming to this site. So please correct me if I am wrong...

Basically if you have an offer the school cannot harass you as to your decision till April 15th but also students can lose their offer if they do not accept or reject their offer by April 15th as well. Once having accepted an offer you cannot rescind past that deadline, but you can before (even though some might consider that in bad taste). There is a whole forum on this national deadline on GradCafe.

Johnnyquest2009 in the letter you got from Brandeis they allude to this deadline (or at least they did on mine). They also though noted that as we haven't secured funding that we can respond after this set date. This is why I am so concerned about my offer. In my case it’s a catch -22. I am waiting to hear about funding from Brandeis. Usually students don't respond if they are accepting or declining an offer till April 15th- so most likely the chances of securing funding won't be clear till after that date, meaning I would potentially lose the offer made to me from another program/school. I have no preference for one school or another I just don’t feel like the choice is mine to make but rather that under these circumstances they are being made for me. On the other hand I understand why such a policy has been put in place- those on a waitlist must be going nuts wondering if they have a shot this year or not. It’s all around a crappy situation to be in.

Moraurora I am sorry I know none of this helps you out at all.