What's your religious tradition?

Phenomenologist

If you are at St. Mike's I think we'll get along quite well. I'm the same but would add heavy influence from process philosophy.

Aw man, I could've used you around for my MA! I've pretty much been the "resident evangelical" even though I'm not entirely sure that Mennonites (particularly those left of centre) should be lumped in with evangelicals. That being said, it's a very ecumenical place. Just... don't mess up mass or liturgy TOO badly :rolleyes:. It's actually kind of funny, I can get through any discussion about my denominational background with my Catholic colleagues by bringing how much I like free will. Then it just becomes a love in.

The Belief-o-Matic is an amusing quiz I found a while back that aligns your beliefs with how well they match up to major religions. It even gives you a percentage of compatibility.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

It's for amusement purposes only, of course, but it's fun to see.

My own highest match was Reform Jew, because - I think - of its belief in a higher power, but a priority on being a good person in the here and now for its own sake.

The Belief-o-Matic is an amusing quiz I found a while back that aligns your beliefs with how well they match up to major religions. It even gives you a percentage of compatibility.

http://www.beliefnet...liefOMatic.aspx

It's for amusement purposes only, of course, but it's fun to see.

My own highest match was Reform Jew, because - I think - of its belief in a higher power, but a priority on being a good person in the here and now for its own sake.

My top results:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)

2. Liberal Quakers (90%)

3. Neo-Pagan (87%)

4. Reform Judaism (79%)

5. Secular Humanism (79%)

6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (74%)

7. New Age (71%)

Edited by Trin

Liberal Mennonite with Catholic leanings and an ecumenical philosophy.

I absolutely love Mennonite biblical scholars because they know Bible and the Bible and its greater narrative context gives them some sort of paradigm and parameters for their theology. Very conservative, yes. Even a bit literal sometimes, yes. But for war studies --- these folks are fantabulous!

I absolutely love Mennonite biblical scholars because they know Bible and the Bible and its greater narrative context gives them some sort of paradigm and parameters for their theology. Very conservative, yes. Even a bit literal sometimes, yes. But for war studies --- these folks are fantabulous!

He's more of a theologian than a Biblical scholar, but have you read John Howard Yoder's "Politics of Jesus"? It sounds alot like what you're talking about.

I used the Belief-O-Matic option, with interesting results.

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%) 2. Orthodox Quaker (96%) 3. Liberal Quakers (86%) 4. Unitarian Universalism (83%) 5. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (82%) 6. Eastern Orthodox (77%) 7. Roman Catholic (77%) 8. Baha'i Faith (76%) 9. Seventh Day Adventist (76%) 10. Hinduism (72%) 11. Mahayana Buddhism (71%) 12. Theravada Buddhism (69%)

If I were assessing myself I'd probably just say, "Christian with no known ties to a particular church, a deep admiration for Roman Catholicism, and a general love of Ubuntu philosophy." But usually I don't assess myself. I'm still figuring out what I believe, to be honest.

My results:

1. Orthodox Quaker (100%)2. Seventh Day Adventist (98%)3. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (97%)4. Eastern Orthodox (86%)5. Roman Catholic (86%)

Apparently they don't know what to do with a Baptist that holds to a Constitution view of the body and thinks Genesis and science don't need to contradict each other.

He's more of a theologian than a Biblical scholar, but have you read John Howard Yoder's "Politics of Jesus"? It sounds alot like what you're talking about.

I haven't read that one yet, but I just started reading The War of the Lamb: The Ethics of Nonviolence and Peacemaking!

• 2 months later...

I consider myself to be a liberal Presbyterian (PCUSA) but was raised Catholic( the Easter and Christmas variety) and recieved Seventh-Day Adventist undergraduate education.

1. Orthodox Quaker (100%) 2. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (96%) 3. Liberal Quakers (95%) 4. Unitarian Universalism (79%) 5. Reform Judaism (69%) 6. Seventh Day Adventist (66%) 7. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (64%) 8. Neo-Pagan (63%) 9. Taoism (63%) 10. New Age (60%)

Methodist with a view of Jesus heavily influenced from the Third Quest

...apparently it shows

1. Orthodox Judaism (100%)

2. Sikhism (95%)

3. Islam (92%)

4. Baha'i Faith (91%)

5. Eastern Orthodox (79%)

6. Roman Catholic (79%)

7. Hinduism (76%)

8. Reform Judaism (76%)

9. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (72%)

10. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (68%)

11. Orthodox Quaker (65%)

12. Seventh Day Adventist (65%)

13. Jainism (62%)

14. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (59%)

15. Liberal Quakers (55%)

16. Jehovah's Witness (54%)

17. Neo-Pagan (52%)

18. Mahayana Buddhism (49%)

19. Unitarian Universalism (47%)

20. Scientology (42%)

21. New Thought (36%)

22. Theravada Buddhism (34%)

23. New Age (33%)

24. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (32%)

25. Nontheist (22%)

26. Secular Humanism (19%)

27. Taoism (18%)

I'm pretty sure my result is because I am all over the map on social issues, including some conservative beliefs, and I have a less than orthodox understanding of Jesus.