Colorado- Boulder Linguistics

lagarconne

Hi!

The latest news I got from their department was the following e-mail:

"All applications are being evaluated and considered by the Graduate Admissions Committee throughout March. An admissions decision should be made by the end of March".

I am also hoping and waiting, because this is the only school I applied....

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't get in.... :(

Boulder was my top pick for many, many reasons, despite having applied to several Ivy Leagues, so I am super bummed.

On a lighter note :):

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!!!!! Would you mind sharing your stats? This is my second time I've applied there; when I didn't get in

I understand your pain with funding; out of all of my acceptances I haven't been offered a penny, and funding my studies is a huge problem. Hopefully they just haven't sent out award notifications yet. Do you think you'll go if you have to fund yourself?

Don't be disappointed! I am sure you will find your graduate school! Boulder is a great school, but it is not the only one.

My TOEFL was 90.

GPA 3.9

Bachelor's degree in Linguistics (methods of teaching English and German)

No GRE scores since the program did not require them

Research interests:

In sociolinguistics (Language and identity)

Political Discourse Analysis (Russian national identity construction in New Year Presidential Addresses to the nation)

Cognitive Linguistics (English Language means of representation of the concept of pain)

A bit of teaching experience (school practicum)

6 months of living in Germany, 2 visits to the USA as an exchange student.

Yeah...Funding is essential if you are an international student. I cannot pay for my education in the USA and I hoped to get any type of financial assistance.

In my home country I did not pay at all while I was an undergraduate student.

We will see. Maybe I will figure something out with funding....

Edited by Marina

Your research interests sound great! I am an American but currently living in Germany. I don't know what sort of funding Boulder offers, but their website doesn't make it sound promising, does it? I applied just on the off-chance that I'd get in and hopefully get offered something. They seem to offer more TA positions through other departments. Have you contact any foreign language departments (maybe German, or do you speak Russian, as you mentioned Russian?) to see if you can get a TA position with them? It's a start!

I wish you the best!

lagarconne,

Thanks! I contacted the Department of Linguistics, but the situation with TAships is not really promising there. I contacted the Office of Financial Aid, but got the answer that I am not eligible for the federal aid. Now I contacted the Department of Germanic and Slavic languages to find out anything about TAships there. I am a native speaker of Russian.

I liked Germany! I liked the USA. Are you currently studying in Heilderberg? Would you mind talking to me via Skype? I love meeting new people!

lagarconne,

Thanks! I contacted the Department of Linguistics, but the situation with TAships is not really promising there. I contacted the Office of Financial Aid, but got the answer that I am not eligible for the federal aid. Now I contacted the Department of Germanic and Slavic languages to find out anything about TAships there. I am a native speaker of Russian.

I liked Germany! I liked the USA. Are you currently studying in Heilderberg? Would you mind talking to me via Skype? I love meeting new people!

Sure! I just PMed you!