W from a class

Hello,

I've applied to several universities (MPPs and MA in IR) and on the trascripts that i've sent is reported that I am enrolled in 5 courses this semester, but since I wanted to focus more on my thesis i was wondering if I could drop 2 courses that i don't need in order to graduate (general elective/microeconomics). Do you think that the universities that accepted me could refuse me to let me in once they will receive the official transcripts with the 2 Withdraws?

thank you so much!

Italianstudent2, I don't know if you are an international student or not but I guess if I were to give you an advice...may I suggest that you switch these classes to a CREDIT/NO CREDIT or PASS/FAIL grading basis on your transcript. That way, it would not have any effect on your overall GPA or transcript..just saying. I am not sure how your school system works but if indeed you do withdraw from these classes, I don't think that should have any issue with the schools admitting you. It is your personal choice and if they ask you questions about it, I do hope that you already have a valid or reasonable reason as to why you withdrew from these classes. I don't think it should be a problem. The other thing you could do is contact the schools and see if they will have any concerns with you withdrawing from these classes. Good luck

and,if yes, could i make it up enrolling in these courses during summer session? as i've mentioned before these are 2 courses that i don't need in order to graduate.

Edited by abogs78

Italianstudent2, I don't know if you are an international student or not but I guess if I were to give you an advice...may I suggest that you switch these classes to a CREDIT/NO CREDIT or PASS/FAIL grading basis on your transcript. That way, it would not have any effect on your overall GPA or transcript..just saying. I am not sure how your school system works but if indeed you do withdraw from these classes, I don't think that should have any issue with the schools admitting you. It is your personal choice and if they ask you questions about it, I do hope that you already have a valid or reasonable reason as to why you withdrew from these classes. I don't think it should be a problem. The other thing you could do is contact the schools and see if they will have any concerns with you withdrawing from these classes. Good luck

thank you! Yes, I am an international student. The reason would be the fact that i want to focus more on my senior thesis (it's a 10.000 words piece) and i don't need these classes in order to graduate. is this a reasonable reason? I already contacted the school but they are not replying,probably too busy with the admission process :( I am only a bit worried about microeconomics because MPPs sometimes consider it a pre-requiste. Another option,as i mentioned before, would be taking these classes during summer. What do you think about it?

thank you so much!

You are correct - microeconomics is a prerequisite for most of these programs and you should not drop it. Many MPA/MPP programs also require that you receive a letter grade in microeconomics - so don't take it pass/fail. You could take it in the summer, but you probably want notify the admissions offices beforehand and let them know what you are doing.

I don't know what the "general elective" is but it does not sound important.