Raleigh, NC

Mohammad Ali

9 hours ago, BayesianLove said:

@devbioboy Just heard back from them. Grad loft in Wolf Ridge are for single students only.

Do you have an opinion about the area near Western Manor? Is it a safe place overall? How does it compare with ES King in terms of safety? It's unfurnished, so I'll need to figure out how to buy a bed as soon as I get off the plane :D

I personally like the area around Western Manor! It seems safe (but it's pretty dark at night over there at night, but seems way safer than ES King). The apartments in Western Manor are nicer than the ones in ES King from what I've heard. It's right across the street from Centennial Campus and is right on Avent Ferry, so you'll have easy access to most of the Wolflines. I'd go with those over ES King's any day. In terms of beds, you can look into Fred's Beds which deliver all over the Raleigh area, or Craigslist.

9 hours ago, Kimia said:

Hello everyone!

I recently got admitted to NCSU with 2200/month (without tax) for TAing. Does anyone know whether this amount is enough for my monthly expenses? I am moving from another country so I don't know anything about expenses in the USA. 

Thank you all in advance!

Hi @Kimia , based on my personal experiences, I think that 2200/month is enough to live. You'll have to save some money aside for taxes every month to pay at the end of the year whenever you file (I'd suggest somewhere around 200-250 just to be safe). Rent around NC State is generally very reasonable (I've seen unfurnished, one bedroom, apartments for around 700-800/mo, you can go even cheaper than that if you get roommates which a lot of international grad students do). Groceries are pretty cheap (I personally spend around 100/month) and eating out every week or so isn't too much of an additional expense. If you live near campus on or around Gorman St or Avent Ferry Rd, you can use the Wolfline, which are free to ride.

20 hours ago, devbioboy said:

I personally like the area around Western Manor! It seems safe (but it's pretty dark at night over there at night, but seems way safer than ES King). The apartments in Western Manor are nicer than the ones in ES King from what I've heard. It's right across the street from Centennial Campus and is right on Avent Ferry, so you'll have easy access to most of the Wolflines. I'd go with those over ES King's any day. In terms of beds, you can look into Fred's Beds which deliver all over the Raleigh area, or Craigslist.

Thanks a lot for your comments. Looks like you'll be leaving Raleigh (probably for Boston :P), let me know if you're in the city next Fall though, I owe you a beer!

On 2/21/2018 at 10:53 PM, Isocrates2.o said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but what are the best coffeeshops/cafes/public workspaces in Raleigh? Preferably near NC State? 

On Hillsborough street (right beside NC State's main campus) there are a few coffee shops that I know are decent for studying/working: Cup a Joe, Global Village, and Liquid State. There's also Jubala Coffee on Hillsborough street, though I only went there once for breakfast, and there's another Cup a Joe in Mission Valley (the shopping center between Main Campus and Centennial Campus). There are also quite a few Port City Java coffee shops, as well as a Starbucks, sprinkled throughout both campuses, which can be convenient places to get work done. 

Edited by shroomish

On 2/21/2018 at 10:53 PM, Isocrates2.o said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but what are the best coffeeshops/cafes/public workspaces in Raleigh? Preferably near NC State? 

Some other good on-campus workspaces that I've encountered over the years include Hunt Library (on the weekends) and the Natural Resources Library in Jordan Hall. In the nearby Cameron Village, there's a branch of the Wake County Public Library that I know people also use. In downtown Raleigh, some people frequent Morning Times (hip coffee shop) to do work on the weekends. Also, I totally agree with Cup a Joe, Global Village, and Liquid State being amazing places to get coffee and get work done near campus!

On 2/25/2018 at 9:50 AM, devbioboy said:

Some other good on-campus workspaces that I've encountered over the years include Hunt Library (on the weekends) and the Natural Resources Library in Jordan Hall. In the nearby Cameron Village, there's a branch of the Wake County Public Library that I know people also use. In downtown Raleigh, some people frequent Morning Times (hip coffee shop) to do work on the weekends. Also, I totally agree with Cup a Joe, Global Village, and Liquid State being amazing places to get coffee and get work done near campus!

Agreed with all of these. My favorites were Cup a Joe and Global Village - though to be honest Global can get kind of packed sometimes and they have limited seating for their popularity. They are busiest in the late morning (in my experience) but if I went in the afternoon, it was usually less crowded. The Cup a Joe in the Mission Valley shopping center was always less crowded for me as well. Sometimes, the Bruegger's Bagels on Hillsborough street can be good too. There is also one located in Mission Valley for an alternate location. 

If you don't mind walking a little bit, only a few minutes away in Cameron Village is Benelux Coffee. They have amazing coffee (and waffles) and they aren't too busy most weekdays. 

On 2/19/2018 at 10:15 AM, Kimia said:

Hello everyone!

I recently got admitted to NCSU with 2200/month (without tax) for TAing. Does anyone know whether this amount is enough for my monthly expenses? I am moving from another country so I don't know anything about expenses in the USA. 

Thank you all in advance!

I think that this is a good amount to be able to live with in Raleigh. For more info on saving, I would be sure to ask if your program pays your university fees for you. They were around $1,100 per semester and I was required to pay them myself when I was there. These fees are used to pay for facilities that you can use for free (and incentive to use those things) such as the gym, Wolfline, etc. 

On 2/20/2018 at 4:06 AM, devbioboy said:

Hi @Kimia , based on my personal experiences, I think that 2200/month is enough to live. You'll have to save some money aside for taxes every month to pay at the end of the year whenever you file (I'd suggest somewhere around 200-250 just to be safe). Rent around NC State is generally very reasonable (I've seen unfurnished, one bedroom, apartments for around 700-800/mo, you can go even cheaper than that if you get roommates which a lot of international grad students do). Groceries are pretty cheap (I personally spend around 100/month) and eating out every week or so isn't too much of an additional expense. If you live near campus on or around Gorman St or Avent Ferry Rd, you can use the Wolfline, which are free to ride.

Thank you! That was very useful!

I think I might get a roommate because I have to save some money for the student fee. 

On 2/26/2018 at 11:50 PM, scarvesandcardigans said:

I think that this is a good amount to be able to live with in Raleigh. For more info on saving, I would be sure to ask if your program pays your university fees for you. They were around $1,100 per semester and I was required to pay them myself when I was there. These fees are used to pay for facilities that you can use for free (and incentive to use those things) such as the gym, Wolfline, etc. 

Yes, I have to pay them myself too. Sorry if it's a dummy question :D what is Wolfline? I have to pay 2000 $ per semester.

On 2/28/2018 at 1:28 PM, Kimia said:

Yes, I have to pay them myself too. Sorry if it's a dummy question :D what is Wolfline? I have to pay 2000 $ per semester.

It's the free bus system that can carry you around campus and around Raleigh! Very convenient, sometimes very full, and there's a mobile app that they have which in my experience was pretty reliable. 

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to have found this thread! I will likely be attending UNC this fall, and although I had hoped to live somewhat closer to campus, it looks like the closest I'll be able to manage will be Raleigh. My husband's job can transfer him about an hour out on the other side, so we'd both be commuting. To make things even more complicated, we have two kids. I'd love to hear from  anyone about their experiences with 1) commuting to UNC from Raleigh and 2) any knowledge of the schools and daycares in Raleigh. 

On 3/22/2018 at 10:26 AM, JustPoesieAlong said:

Glad to have found this thread! I will likely be attending UNC this fall, and although I had hoped to live somewhat closer to campus, it looks like the closest I'll be able to manage will be Raleigh. My husband's job can transfer him about an hour out on the other side, so we'd both be commuting. To make things even more complicated, we have two kids. I'd love to hear from  anyone about their experiences with 1) commuting to UNC from Raleigh and 2) any knowledge of the schools and daycares in Raleigh. 

Raleigh is a pretty big area, so the the commute and area where you live could really vary. For example, you could live in Raleigh and your husband could work in Raleigh, and he could still find himself driving 25 or 30 minutes to work. Downtown Raleigh and the NC State University area are very well connected via buslines, including a daily express bus to and from Chapel Hill. Lots of people take this bus, and it's very convenient. You can usually get a pass from your university to take the bus for free, and it will take you directly to UNC's campus.

Other areas, like suburban North Raleigh, are less connected and would involve a drive of about 45 minutes, perhaps more if traffic is heavy. Parking can also be difficult at UNC; I'm not sure what accommodations and options are available for commuting students. 

4 hours ago, heysickah said:

Raleigh is a pretty big area, so the the commute and area where you live could really vary. For example, you could live in Raleigh and your husband could work in Raleigh, and he could still find himself driving 25 or 30 minutes to work. Downtown Raleigh and the NC State University area are very well connected via buslines, including a daily express bus to and from Chapel Hill. Lots of people take this bus, and it's very convenient. You can usually get a pass from your university to take the bus for free, and it will take you directly to UNC's campus.

Other areas, like suburban North Raleigh, are less connected and would involve a drive of about 45 minutes, perhaps more if traffic is heavy. Parking can also be difficult at UNC; I'm not sure what accommodations and options are available for commuting students. 

Thank you! My husband would be working pretty far out to the east of Raleigh--Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, or Wilson. So, it looks like it'd be difficult to locate near enough to downtown to make riding the bus worth it, although I would really like to. I'll keep it in mind as we look. Do you know much about living in the areas closer to downtown? We've got a pretty difficult situation to parse out, so any input is appreciated! 

On 3/27/2018 at 3:28 PM, JustPoesieAlong said:

Thank you! My husband would be working pretty far out to the east of Raleigh--Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, or Wilson. So, it looks like it'd be difficult to locate near enough to downtown to make riding the bus worth it, although I would really like to. I'll keep it in mind as we look. Do you know much about living in the areas closer to downtown? We've got a pretty difficult situation to parse out, so any input is appreciated! 

We used to live in Southwest Raleigh when my partner was in graduate school at NC State, around Lake Johnson and the Avent Ferry Rd. area, very close to Cary. This was a nice area to live and really convenient to the beltline (the highway loop that runs in a circle around Raleigh) and downtown. That may be a good place to live. The closer you get to NC State, the more graduate students there will be from that university, but it could be convenient. 

Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, and Wilson are all pretty far. That sounds unpleasant, but doable. My aunt commutes from the Goldsboro area to Raleigh daily, and I know she leaves very early in the morning and works an early day so that she can avoid traffic.

Are you attending the Open House next week? I will also be there (I'm on the waitlist for Comp Lit still).

21 minutes ago, heysickah said:

We used to live in Southwest Raleigh when my partner was in graduate school at NC State, around Lake Johnson and the Avent Ferry Rd. area, very close to Cary. This was a nice area to live and really convenient to the beltline (the highway loop that runs in a circle around Raleigh) and downtown. That may be a good place to live. The closer you get to NC State, the more graduate students there will be from that university, but it could be convenient. 

Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, and Wilson are all pretty far. That sounds unpleasant, but doable. My aunt commutes from the Goldsboro area to Raleigh daily, and I know she leaves very early in the morning and works an early day so that she can avoid traffic.

Are you attending the Open House next week? I will also be there (I'm on the waitlist for Comp Lit still).

Thank you for this information! Yes, the next year or two will be a challenge. If this does end up being our situation, I'm hoping that things will get much easier when I'm ABD. So, at least we can take comfort in the knowledge that it's temporary. 

I do plan on attending the open house! My spouse and kids will be traveling with me and will be exploring the area while I do the Open House stuff. I'll PM you!