Grants/Fellowships for First-Year Humanities Ph.D. Canidates

TransnationalHistory

I didn't have the drive to apply to any fellowship before I knew I was actually going to grad school, since all my schools were pretty much crap shoots. Now I'm in, and while my funding packages are generous I wouldn't mind a little extra (for my field I'll have greater than average travel costs) and certainly I know that the prestige of getting grants/fellowships certainly doesn't hurt on your CV. I know about the Javits, but I was hoping to start a resource here of other grants/awards/fellowships for people in the humanities who are just starting out/pre-dissertation. Searching in Google has proven to be pretty unhelpful. Thanks!

Maybe SSRC? I know it's "Social Science Research Council", but I've been told in the past that they aim to fund more humanities-focused topics....

Of course, I may be wrong...

I didn't have the drive to apply to any fellowship before I knew I was actually going to grad school, since all my schools were pretty much crap shoots. Now I'm in, and while my funding packages are generous I wouldn't mind a little extra (for my field I'll have greater than average travel costs) and certainly I know that the prestige of getting grants/fellowships certainly doesn't hurt on your CV. I know about the Javits, but I was hoping to start a resource here of other grants/awards/fellowships for people in the humanities who are just starting out/pre-dissertation. Searching in Google has proven to be pretty unhelpful. Thanks!

Transnational-

You should consider applying for Critical Language Scholarships, FLASes, and Fulbrights during the dissertation stage. The big, multi-tiered fellowships are great, but if your field demands that you travel and learn languages, it is much easier to get the summer/AY publicly-sponsored grants.

And yes, the SSRC--but its for dissertation research, not predoctoral (which is what I think you're interested in).

Maybe SSRC? I know it's "Social Science Research Council", but I've been told in the past that they aim to fund more humanities-focused topics....

Of course, I may be wrong...

Isn't there an SSRC award for pre-dissertation research support?

Transnational-

You should consider applying for Critical Language Scholarships, FLASes, and Fulbrights during the dissertation stage. The big, multi-tiered fellowships are great, but if your field demands that you travel and learn languages, it is much easier to get the summer/AY publicly-sponsored grants.

And yes, the SSRC--but its for dissertation research, not predoctoral (which is what I think you're interested in).

You should also look at the following:

1. Ford Diversity pre-doctoral Fellowship (if you are a minority)

2.Rotary Fellowship (for international travel when you are ready to do your dissertation research)

3. Fulbright (also international travel)

sbt

Transnational-

You should consider applying for Critical Language Scholarships, FLASes,

Yeah, the problem for me is the languages I want to learn are not covered by my school's FLAS or the CLS. If anyone knows a fund for people wanting to learn Afrikaans, Swahili, German and/or French (intermediate-advanced) I'd love to know. I don't know German at all but would like to, but it seems difficult to get support to learn any common language. I already know French alright, but would love to become more advanced. And finding scholarships for Sub-Saharan African languages is for some reason really difficult. So any advice on that would be great!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the problem for me is the languages I want to learn are not covered by my school's FLAS or the CLS. If anyone knows a fund for people wanting to learn Afrikaans, Swahili, German and/or French (intermediate-advanced) I'd love to know. I don't know German at all but would like to, but it seems difficult to get support to learn any common language. I already know French alright, but would love to become more advanced. And finding scholarships for Sub-Saharan African languages is for some reason really difficult. So any advice on that would be great!

Fellow historian - I thought you could apply for a FLAS to take classes elsewhere. You should check that. Also, there are often specialized summer language workshops, so you should keep an eye out for it. A good way of keeping up with potential new fellowships, workshops or intensive language classes is to join the H-net listserv for your specific topic.