NYU!

cheshirey

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be starting a PhD program in the Fall. Will need Bobst library buddies!

I'm excited to find that someone's decided to be a library animal. more than interested in it~~~may I know what's your major?

Has anyone applied to the MacCracken housing programme? Have they reacted in any way? I've already sent all the documents + deposit (within the deadline) so it should be ok, but they aren't even replying to my e-mails!

On a related note, does anyone have information on the best areas to live off campus? Also, how is the quality and experience provided by on campus housing? Info from the city guide thread seems sparse. Are there preferred areas for NYU students in Brooklyn and Queens?

• 5 weeks later...

On a related note, does anyone have information on the best areas to live off campus? Also, how is the quality and experience provided by on campus housing? Info from the city guide thread seems sparse. Are there preferred areas for NYU students in Brooklyn and Queens?

Brooklyn (Williamsburg,etc), Queens (Astoria), and Upper East Side (below Harlem) are more affordable and popular with grad students. The East Village is ideal but a bit pricey. Manhattan apt hunting is an art so I recommend doing lots of research before you make any moves. Student housing may not always be the cheapest option but it is probably the easiest.

Brooklyn (Williamsburg,etc), Queens (Astoria), and Upper East Side (below Harlem) are more affordable and popular with grad students. The East Village is ideal but a bit pricey. Manhattan apt hunting is an art so I recommend doing lots of research before you make any moves. Student housing may not always be the cheapest option but it is probably the easiest.

I'll second all of this. In Brooklyn, Williamsburg is popular and still somewhat affordable. In Queens, Astoria is great and Forest Hills is good and cheap, although a bit far away.

Be aware that the housing market has turned again, and it's become even harder than in the last couple of years to get a place. That said, I spent the last two weeks apartment hunting in Manhattan and ended up with a decent place on the Upper East Side, so it's certainly doable!

I'll second all of this. In Brooklyn, Williamsburg is popular and still somewhat affordable. In Queens, Astoria is great and Forest Hills is good and cheap, although a bit far away.

Be aware that the housing market has turned again, and it's become even harder than in the last couple of years to get a place. That said, I spent the last two weeks apartment hunting in Manhattan and ended up with a decent place on the Upper East Side, so it's certainly doable!

About how long does it realistically take to get from the UES to NYU every day? I've been commuting over 45 minutes each way to school for 5 years now, and have no desire to keep doing that. Is the commute 30 minutes or less? I've tried looking on HopStop and Google Maps, but the times don't align.

About how long does it realistically take to get from the UES to NYU every day? I've been commuting over 45 minutes each way to school for 5 years now, and have no desire to keep doing that. Is the commute 30 minutes or less? I've tried looking on HopStop and Google Maps, but the times don't align.

It depends entirely on where on the UES you are. If you're relatively close to one of the express subway stops (86 St and Lex or 59 St and Lex), you can get there in about half an hour. Otherwise I'd say from 40 to 50 minutes depending on location.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations, just wondering what your GPA/GRE were like I would love to go there but am wondering if my credentials are what they want. Thanks!

Just decided to go to NYU too! Anyone else going to be in their Speech Pathology MS program?

Congrats! I would love to go there just wondering what your GRE/GPA was. Would like to know if my credentials are what they are looking for. Thanks!

Just decided to go to NYU too! Anyone else going to be in their Speech Pathology MS program?