Industrial Design

There doesn't seem to be much activity around The Grad Cafe for Industrial Design candidates, so I thought I'd start a thread.

I think I've seen some activity on the Results page, but I can't remember what schools they were for. I've applied to RISD, Pratt, and Carleton, and I have only received official confirmation from Pratt and unofficial confirmation from Carleton (an email in response to my inquiry). I haven't heard anything from RISD so far. I have the sense that decisions should be received by Pratt and RISD by late March / early April, but I've found no information for Carleton.

Anyone else waiting, and looking for the right place to check up on other ID applicants?

hey there,

Applying to Pratt and Art Center for Industrial Design. SAIC for Designed Objects and RISD for furniture design (first choice). [bs in architecture] I also have only received a confirmation from Pratt. SAIC and Art Center I'm still waiting to hear from. Interviewed with RISD yesterday. Getting pretty anxious!

That makes me nervous that you heard from RISD, but since it's from I different program I shouldn't be jumping to an conclusions... just the nerves

I received an acceptance letter from Carleton today, which includes a TA position and a scholarship. I have 21 days to respond, and from what I've seen in the Results history, I can't be confident that I'll hear from either Pratt or RISD by then. I guess I'll have to do some calling - maybe it's an opportunity to use the first acceptance as leverage / proof that I'm a worthwhile candidate. Either that, or I'll be forced to let the offer lapse as I hold out hope.

totally ask for an extension first. ID at risd is competitive, but I don't think anyone from that program has heard anything. same with pratt. go extension!!

Edited by prickly pear

Yay! An ID thread at last!!

I thought I was the only one on here (not really though), but I'm very glad to see familiar (faces?)

Haven't heard a peep from RISD and have received the confirmation from Pratt a while back. I've applied to a few other programs, and was accepted into RIT's ID program last week. Still waiting on additional funding info outside of the merit scholarship I was offered. It would be nice if other programs released something before the end of this month. It's hard to plan when there are large gaps between various admission decisions. We'll see how it goes I guess unsure.gif

Asking for an extension sounds like a no-brainer now. Thanks for the advice!

To kill time, and to torture myself, I've been browsing Peterson's for the following information, which some of you may find interesting:

Pratt Institute MID

Student Statistics: Average age 29. 247 applicants, 27% accepted, 26 enrolled.

RISD MID

Student Statistics: Average age 29. 127 applicants, 15% accepted, 8 enrolled.

I'm not sure how current these stats are, but comparison of different schools and programs has been mildly entertaining nonetheless. You can find similar stats for other programs at http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools

The 15% acceptance at RISD is intimidatingly low, but at least it's higher than the 4% of their MFA Painting...

It seems from the results page Pratt may send letters out late March, early April. I have another friend applying to RISD's MID program, but she hasn't heard anything yet either. On a better note, just received word that i've been accepted to RISD's furniture program. wootwoot!

Edited by prickly pear

Wow, congratulations! I'd say the outlook is pretty good for the rest of the programs you applied to... but since you got into your number one I guess it's all just confidence boosters now. Not that those aren't welcome, haha - good stuff!

Sheesh, these schools really know how to make us wait. It's mid-March already... I feel as if Industrial Design applicants are the last people on Earth to be notified. This is what I think is truly going on while we wait, and wait, and wait... (a little humor never hurts :) )

*End of March adcomms and graduate schools*

Adcomm: "Ahh yes, March 31st came so fast this year! All right, I believe that was everyone... Good job on application season '11 guys!" **high five**

Graduate School: "Hey, did you guys decide on the incoming class for the Industrial Design program?"

Adcomm: ... "CRAP! Quick, hand me that pile of applications" **snatches applications from Industrial Design secretary and tosses applications into air, hastily grabbing 8 of them off of the ground**

Adcomm: "Here is our incoming class, sir..."

Graduate School: "Looks good, we'll send out the notifications by 5pm, April 14th."

Adcomm: "What about funding, sir?"

Graduate School: "Really? For Industrial Design? Well, I think I have a little change in my pocket..."

Adcomm: "Good, toss it to me. I will tape it to the front of their acceptance letters"

:blink: The wait is never ending...

As the RISD decision notification deadline of March 24 ( http://www.risd.edu/...pply/Graduates/ ) approaches, I'm growing doubtful that I will receive an offer, as I have not been contacted for an interview yet.

In late January, I sent the department an email about the possibility of visiting, and maybe working in an interview. They responded by saying that if applications make the final cut, they will call with any questions they might have. The wording leaves room for the case where they wouldn't call if they didn't have any questions... but I can't help but take it as a bad sign. Just saying. Anyone heard of cases of RISD acceptances without interviews?

Edited by helsinki

Remember, it's not over until the fat lady sings! I haven't been contacted for an interview either, though I do believe interviews for the MID program at RISD are not required for admission (I could be wrong however... gulp) We shall know our fate at the latest Monday, March 30th for RISD (anticipated 3 day postage transit time in the states). So best of luck and keep your head up in the last days of the 2011 application season!

I have a friend who was admitted to risd's architecture dept. without an interview. they sent out the acceptance letters via email, i believe. granted, different program, but i wouldn't get too worried as of now.

i'm pretty floored that no one has heard anything from any school's industrial/objects program yet. it's unfortunate because i know risd will want an answer for furniture soon...though i'm still waiting to hear from three programs.

ah, the wait continues. good luck everyone!

Edited by prickly pear

Tomorrow is the 24th ladies and gents! Let us all see what RISD had to say... Pratt might come around sometime next week I think, we'll see though. Nothing worse than not having a clue as to what is going on, bleh

A rejection to RISD ID has been posted on the Results page. This could be a good sign that I have missed the rejection wave, or could just mean that they didn't have enough time on Friday to send all the decision emails. Either way, it's more torturous waiting.

hopefully the latter is not the case! goodluck! hopefully we'll all be at risd. i'm not sure if any of you applied to Art Center, but i also saw someone posted a rejection to art center from earlier in march...alas, who really knows.

It looks like I dodged the first rejection bullet from RISD as well. It's weird that a rejection was posted however because I broke down and emailed the admissions department Friday afternoon and this is their response:

"Hi ____,

The Industrial Design decisions are not final yet, so check back Monday afternoon for updates!"

That why a posted rejection is a little confusing to me. Oh well, I'll take it for what it is right now... :shrug:

Edited by NUcat72