University of Texas at Austin

Gradhorn

I'll be joining the Sociology department at Texas in the fall! I'm mostly looking forward to the SUN! We worship the sun here in the Midwest whenever we are blessed to be in its presence, so I'm quite looking forward to lots of sunshine! Also, I really loved the city when I visited and the food. Oh yea, the department and faculty were pretty sweet as well...

Agreed. Coming from Cleveland where we never see the sun from October through March, I too am looking forward to some sunlight.

I'll be in the Civil Engineering-Transportation MS program next year. I'm coming straight from my undergrad at Northwestern in Chicago (but I'm originally from Colorado). Never been to Texas before except to visit Austin, but from what I've heard it sounds like an awesome city to live in.

I'm starting to look for apartments for next year, thinking about heading down in July to check them out and start a lease in August. Anyone have ideas for finding a roommate (not necessarily in the same department/program)? Or is anyone here looking for a roommate? I'm a pretty laid-back female engineering student. I'm planning to have a car in Austin but not use it everyday. I like biking, literature, and baking. That's me in three sentences. haha. Message if you want to know more/talk about looking for a place.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Austin looking at apartments a couple weeks ago. July might be a little late to be looking for apartments for Fall 2011 semester. Most places I looked at north of campus in the Hyde Park area pre-lease well before July. It might make sense for you to go apartment hunting in May instead of July.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone ...

I am international student , going to join UT austin , Operations research and Industrial Engineering.

Anyone joining the same?

Conquistador

Hey, I am joining UT ORIE too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am a pass out of National Institute of Technology, Srinagar, India... i was thinking of going for MS or preferably an MS, PhD in structural engineering in 2013 fall session.. i was a gold medalist (civil engineering) - 2011 pass out, with a good CGPA of 9.603.. plus i have a symposium pub in the earthquake engineering field as well..also, i m hoping of two more papers to get published this september.. i m currently working in the structural erection dept. of National Thermal Power Corporation, Ltd., at nagpur, India, at a super thermal power plant... and by the time i shall join the MS course, i.e. in august 2013, i shall be having a field experience of around 2 years. . . does the field experience really count?

my LORs would not be from IIT professors but from the professors of my college.. will that be enough?

what areas should i be targeting right now so as to ensure admission in a good university, preferably with a reasonable scholarship..

I am appearing for GRE in this october how far does GRE matter and whats the minimum required i should be aiming at?

regards..

Ahmad Wani,

structural erection dept.

NTPC Ltd,

Nagpur, INDIA.

mobile: +91-8275787368