(Aero Eng@UIUC) vs ( Aero/Astro@Purdue)

colin12345

Hi, all

Can any body give me some advice on the two schools?

I am an International applicant, I hope to work in US after earning MS.

So which admission should I accept ?

Purdue University: Aeronautics & Astronautics,

MS--Structure & Material

no funding

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Aerospace Engineering

Non-thesis degree MS--Structure & Material

no funding

Thank you very much!!

In your case i would look for the structural faculty's research and see if its aligned with what you did in your undergrad/work xp. Reading their papers is a good way to know

Hi, thefuqu

Thank you for your advice.

As what you said, the ranking of Aero Eng @ Purdue might be higher than that of UIUC.

But to some degree, UIUC is really a big university with other related resources which impressed me.

So it is difficult for me to make a decision.

Anyway, thanks again!

no problem,

what kind of "other related resources" are you considering?

if it's assistantships, it's gonna be tough on both unis, since it's unfunded.

if it's part time jobs, I think they're pretty equal everywhere.

After all, UIUC is one of the top universities, so there are a lot of facilities, labs, lectures, academic activies. Do you think so?

But the point is UIUC gives me non-thesis degree.

Some of my friends told me: non-thesis degree might be disadvantageous when compared with thesis degree, especially applying for a PhD.

I am not sure if what they said are ture.

What do you think of this point? What kind of degree do you have?

I am not sure about the UIUC aerospace program. but I've been to Purdue and conducted summer research program over there.

IMO, Purdue is great for aerospace program. They have a very spacious lab nearby school just for space shuttle testing. I've been to their physics lab and visualized the particle accelerometer! It is huge, and could be useful for any aerospace research. Neil Armstrong came from that school along with over 30 astronauts from that school too. I've heard that 3/4 of NASA research lab came from Purdue.

UIUC: I've never been there, cant say more...

I am not sure about the UIUC aerospace program. but I've been to Purdue and conducted summer research program over there.

IMO, Purdue is great for aerospace program. They have a very spacious lab nearby school just for space shuttle testing. I've been to their physics lab and visualized the particle accelerometer! It is huge, and could be useful for any aerospace research. Neil Armstrong came from that school along with over 30 astronauts from that school too. I've heard that 3/4 of NASA research lab came from Purdue.

UIUC: I've never been there, cant say more...

wow, amazing!! "3/4 of NASA research lab came from Purdue"

Thanks!

And are there many career opportunities in AE industry around Purdue ? Do you know that?

wow, amazing!! "3/4 of NASA research lab came from Purdue"

Thanks!

And are there many career opportunities in AE industry around Purdue ? Do you know that?

i heard that top aerospace companies send their HR people to Purdue to look for talent. Actually, the same can be said for all top aerospace programs in the States (Caltech,MIT,Stanford,GeorgiaTech,UMich)

Purdue is definitely top notch for Aero. It's hard to believe that you'll be without funding for long at Purdue considering the opportunities for TAships in their large undergrad engineering departments. I'm not too sure about the 3/4 NASA research coming from Purdue, but it definitely has a massive presence there. Companies like Northrop Grumman, Lockheed, Boeing are regulars and consistently hire even underperformers - which should be an indication of the reputation that Purdue Aero enjoys.

Purdue is definitely top notch for Aero. It's hard to believe that you'll be without funding for long at Purdue considering the opportunities for TAships in their large undergrad engineering departments. I'm not too sure about the 3/4 NASA research coming from Purdue, but it definitely has a massive presence there. Companies like Northrop Grumman, Lockheed, Boeing are regulars and consistently hire even underperformers - which should be an indication of the reputation that Purdue Aero enjoys.

Thank you very much for your reply!

As you know, I am an international applicant, so my english is not well enough as a Teaching Assistant. It is really a pity. Furthermore, I cannot be able to work in companies, such as Boeing, Lockheed. The reason is also that I am an international student :)

After Purude & UIUC, i got other two admissions, AE @ UT-Austin and ME @ USC, also no fundings.

So what about Austin, when compared with Purdue? Which one do you think is better?

• 2 weeks later...

Think it this way: 300 millions people in US and even more can speak English, but only 3 millions can do engineering jobs. English is some thing you'll learn along the way. Engineering materials are much harder to grasp :)

Think it this way: 300 millions people in US and even more can speak English, but only 3 millions can do engineering jobs. English is some thing you'll learn along the way. Engineering materials are much harder to grasp :)

Spot on