Course-based M.Eng gpa requirement

StructIntern

I am in my final year of civil structural eng with 1.5 years of internship experience in the industry. However, my gpa is a bit on the lower side of the scale approx 3.15 due to some time management issues before. I spent too much time on humanities and reading non-eng books, which I don't think it's a legitimate reason for my GPA.

However, my internship really changed me and got me interested in working on challenging projects in the future. I learned a great deal from my work experience and would like to continue learning in a more systematic manner. To do that, I think I need a M.Eng (non-thesis) to build my credential and confidence.

I was wondering if this gpa is good enough for a course based M.Eng at reputable schools like UIUC or Michigan with fair/average LOR and GRE scores. I don't need any funding.

Any input is certainly welcomed !!

Thanks

Some schools have an MS non-thesis program where you just take classes and sometimes take an exam at the end. Then there's M.Eng. where there's a project built in instead of a thesis. Not many schools offer an M.Eng degree in civil/structural yet. Cornell, Lehigh, and Berkeley are ones that I applied to, but I'm quite sure Michigan and UIUC don't. You'd probably be able to get into an M.Eng. program with a GPA of 3.15. It's still above a 3.0, which is the cut-off for a lot of places. I think the best think you need to do is start researching programs. They'll often list a preferred or required GPA once you start digging around their websites. Every places is different. I think you should calculate your major GPA, and if that's higher you can always use that as evidence of your academic strength in civil/structural engineering when you write your SOP.

Some schools have an MS non-thesis program where you just take classes and sometimes take an exam at the end. Then there's M.Eng. where there's a project built in instead of a thesis. Not many schools offer an M.Eng degree in civil/structural yet. Cornell, Lehigh, and Berkeley are ones that I applied to, but I'm quite sure Michigan and UIUC don't. You'd probably be able to get into an M.Eng. program with a GPA of 3.15. It's still above a 3.0, which is the cut-off for a lot of places. I think the best think you need to do is start researching programs. They'll often list a preferred or required GPA once you start digging around their websites. Every places is different. I think you should calculate your major GPA, and if that's higher you can always use that as evidence of your academic strength in civil/structural engineering when you write your SOP.

I am referring to non-thesis master in general with a project built-in (most cases). I was wondering if 3.0 is cut-off or considered enough. How hard is it to get into UIUC or UMich caliber schools without asking for funding.

Thanks for the advice.