Where are you going? (2008)

Philmajor

religiousphilosopher,

Does the school have any language requirements? Uof Chicago requires French and German unless a petition is submitted requested a difference language but one of the 2 is required. Before you decide, check with your advisor. I stuck with French and passed the language exam. For my second language I'm petitioning for Sanskrit; hopefully it will be accepted :roll:

^^ From what I understand I'll need to pass a language exam in either French or German, but I can petition another language if I can show that its more relevant to my studies. However, I've decided I should just do French. I studied it for a few years, can get a grammar review book, and just start reading books in French. Since I already know Spanish from growing up, I should be able to gain a pretty good grasp of the French language. That way I can take the language exam and won't have to take a language class next year.

Religiousphilosopher,

I also did the french exam but it wasn't required until the beginning of my 2nd year. The school had older tests posted on-line for students to practice with - check and see if that is something you're university offers. Also, I happened to get friendly with one of the older grad students who had taken the prep class that the school offers and he let be use those. I found, at least at UChicago, the graders were most interested in making sure that the verbs and nouns agreed. The word for word translation wasn't as important. Although I found the test to be rather easy it was intense. Good luck!