Where are you going? (2008)

Philmajor

I am going to the University of Dayton (OH) for a PhD in Theology. I was given full tuition remission for all of my coursework and dissertation, as well as having all University fees paid for. I was also given $15k stipend for three years, and they are trying to get a fourth year of funding added. Since I am coming in with a MDIV they say I can finish the whole program in four years. The Chair of the Department called me a few weeks ago to make me the offer and a faculty member with whom I have been in conversation sent me an unsolicited email letting me know the faculty in the Department were looking forward to my arrival! I felt such a personal touch in those communications that my decision to go there was a whole lot easier. In this process, as you all know, it is easy to feel unnoticed and anonymous; it felt tremendous to finally be wanted! I am never going to experience the NBA draft, so this is probably the closest thing I'll come to it--I admit, I like it!

I was offered admission to Marquette and Loyola's PhD programs in the theology and ethics areas, but didn't receive funding. I was also offered admission to Princeton Seminary's ThM program with no funding. Dayton's program, interest in me, and funding were decisive. I am ready to start this process! Hope to hear great things from you all in the future. See you at AAR! :D

^^ Good choice. What are your theological interests?

I'll be going to Harvard Divinity School next year to pursue a Master of Theological Studies with an intended concentration in philosophy of religion. They offered me a grant that included tuition, health insurance, and fees. Not the ideal situation, but still very good. My stats? Undergrad philosophy major ~3.8 GPA, knew my recommenders well, I did not include the GRE scores, but I did include a 10 page written sample.

I'd like to CONGRATULATE the Religion majors who were accepted this cycle to either MA or PhD programs. I've tried to keep up with the threads during my mourning period (I was declined admission at UofChicago) but I probably missed a few entries. I hope everyone will post the results and be back in the fall/winter to support the next group.

I'm going into the PhD program at Southern Methodist University, concentrating in systematic and historical theology. They offered to cover tuition and fees and gave me a $10,000 stipend guaranteed for five years. I'm coming fresh out of the MTS at Emory with a final GPA of about 3.8, a 690V/680Q/6.0A GRE score, an undergraduate degree in theology and philosophy, and letters of recommendation from profs who didn't know very well at the time they had to write them. I've turned down an offer from Fordham because I was waitlisted for a stipend there, and that never came through for me.

I'm going to the University of Chicago for PhD work in theology. I was admitted in off of the waitlist. They cover tuition, health insurance, and give a $20K/year for four years stipend. My stats:

UGPA: 4.0

GGPA (from YDS): 3.97 (though Yale does not assign actual GPAs)

GRE: V:800 Q: 800 A: 5.5

I'm going to Claremont.

They only gave me a 50% tuition remission but CGU only charges $1500 a semester starting in the third year. So the financial burden is not that bad. Plus, the only place I really wanted to go was Claremont and, luckily, they're the only place that accepted me.

I was also very fortunate to get a $12,000 per year stipend... from my dad. What a loser... but I'll take it.

My GPA was:

MA Philosophy - 3.9

MA Theology - 3.9

GRE - Q: 630, V: 630, A: 6 (I got a better analytic than Ting... small victory dance)

Looks like I'm going to Cambridge for an MPhil in Theological and Religious Studies. I received an e-mail from the Faculty secretary telling me I've been admitted, and I'm still waiting on the official letter from the BGS (which I heard can take ages to arrive). I was also accepted to Harvard Divinity School's MTS program in Early Christianity (with full-tuition and stipend). Still waiting on Oxford's Jewish Studies program. But I'm really excited about Cambridge... fantastic faculty members, unbelievable library, and, what can I say, location location location!

Congratulations for everyone's hard-earned achievements!

I chose Fordham over SMU less because of the extra money (which won't go far in NYC) and more because of fit. There were only two people I really cared to study with at SMU, but Fordham has a ton of people working on good projects. I have a big interest in Orthodox theology, and Fordham can accommodate that interest in ways that few other departments can. Plus, the proximity to other great theology departments is a nice bonus.

And rafnow- Congrats on Emory! I'm finishing my MTS there this week. Be sure to take a seminar with Ian McFarland, who's probably the best theology teacher I've ever had.

I'm in off the waitlist to UChicago Divinity! Received a voice message this morning and a follow-up e-mail offering me 5 years of full funding including medical insurance and 2 summers.

I am so shocked and yet thrilled!

Religiousphilosopher - Yes, Phil of Religion. The Divinity school was very concerned about being able to provide funding for the incoming group this year; thus they cut the acceptance numbers to only 18. As applicants declined - especially in the Theology group it became apparent that they needed to rank the waitlist. They did that earlier in the week and I was very highly ranked (so I was told) and thus was offered admission. I'm still somewhat in shock - I had finally gotten my head around the fact that I wouldn't be in school come Sept. and that I needed to find a job. Now I need to put that aside and get my head back into school - crazy (but fantastic)!

Tingbarring - I'm sure you've posted it numerous times but what area are you studying? Have you decided on where to live as of yet? Any questions, I'll certainly try to answer for you!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'll need to study a language next year. My interests are in philosophy and theology... should I study French or German? Which is more useful in your opinions? I took French in high school, and I could build on that, making my knowledge of it very good. Or I could start with a completely new language such as German if it is more useful for philosophy and theology. Both options seem to make sense.

religiousphilosopher,

What kinds of philosophy and theology interest you? If you're a fan of really contemporary work being done at the intersections of philosophy and theology, my guess would be that you'd be best served by developing your skills in French, since a lot of contemporary folks seem to be in love with Derrida et al. Otherwise, I would think that German would prove more useful, since it will cover a good chunk of the major Enlightenment-era philosophers and most of the major non-English-speaking theologians from the bulk of the 19th and 20th centuries. But you'll probably end up doing both before you get far into your graduate studies anyway, so I don't think you'll be in bad shape whichever you choose to do first.