anyone heard from SDSU? Advice...please

herestohoping

My best friend applied to the master's of social work (MSW) program at SDSU (San Diego State University), and hasn't heard back yet. The webportal info just states that her application is still "under review," even though she was under the impression that acceptance letters for the 2 year program would have already been sent out by now.

Does anyone know if the letters have been sent out? and if so...should she have already received it?

I'm torn between thinking that she didn't get in (because it is the middle of April--after April 15th--and shes already heard back from other grad schools), OR maybe SDSU is slower--hence the "still under review." If she were denied, wouldn't the website just state that?

Yes, I know she can call, but that's her decision. *I'm* trying to get as much info I can to prepare myself to either console or congratulate her. Ya know?

Please help me...if you know.

much appreciated...

Sometimes the websites will be the way applicants are informed that they are denied, generally through kind of a complicated process of logging in with secret passwords and codes which takes 20 minutes to find out they did not accept your application, what a cruel thing to do (my opinion). I knew a person who had to become a Wolverine Friend to check her application at the U of Michigan website, which was: Denied. She wanted to revoke the friendship. Other schools just say "under review" on the websites until the fatal e-mail or letter arrives via post office. That is the way U Mass does it. They want to tell you first, somehow and then you can read the news on the website a couple of weeks later. I don't know why they have a check your status option because they really do not update your status. I don't think Under Review at this late date is a good sign, but I have read of late acceptances--a few--and it would be best to take courage and phone the school or e-mail the admissions coordinator. Sit with her when your friend does this but have a stash of kleenex in your pocket.

Thanks for replying. It's difficult, because she's extremely smart, but not hearing, as you so aptly stated in this late of the game, makes me think that she'll be denied. Does it make a difference that she sent her application in without knowing anyone? The reason I ask is that she lives on the East coast, and like most people, has better luck when putting a face to the name. She knows no one at SDSU, and sent in her application with her fingers crossed. I would imagine that those with "priority" have already been notified, and that either she's been denied, waitlisted, or possibly one of the last one's to decide on.

I've always heard that not hearing about April 15th is a bad thing, so I'm guessing that's your opinion as well. I thought that perhaps it was taking the USPS a few extra days to deliver a letter from the West to East coast, but if she hasn't heard by today, I'm guessing it's probably a "no."

Is that reasonable?

In a sad but one-word answer, yes. The east coast-west coast thing is irrelevant. It's fine to apply where you don't know anyone. They just look at your folder, letters of recomendation, and GREs--and make their decision. Some are lucky. There is a lot of luck in this, as everyone says. NEXT: This is true but most don't do it. If she doesn't get in, e-mail or phone the Admissions Committee chairman (after the semester ends) and ask how to make the next application more successful. NO ONE WANTS TO DO THAT. But I didn't get in anywhere last year and learned that a different strategy was needed. I still haven't gotten it down right because I didn't get my first choice places, but I did get in this year. Anyway, there is life after 100% rejection, as I know personally, and your friend is fortunate to have a friend when needed.

So...she found out she's waitlisted, and that SDSU gives preference to Cali residents. They're waiting to hear back from the "in-staters." She's going to call today to see if they'll tell her what her "rank" is, but seriously...ummm deadlines? How fair is it to be waitlisted when you have other options, and other schools and jobs awaiting an answer?

How likely is it to be accepted once waitlisted?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use