GA / RA Awards

adinutzyc

I know this is not something you usually ask (or consider appropriate), but I am dying of curiosity and this is an online forum, so theoretically we're anonymous. I believe the average for CS is $18,000 (correct me if I am wrong). I also know awards may vary according to the living expenses close to the university, but do share with us what your highest award was until now, regardless of the city! Mine was $27,000.

Edit: I messed up the title -- it should say "TA / RA Awards"

Edited by adinutzyc

All of my other offers are the average (I expressed above), and all offers are 12 month assistanships. The program is actually very well ranked, so it's not like the school is trying to convince me to come by giving me money... Makes me think they value their students pretty highly. And the living expenses really aren't high where it's at, if maybe a little higher than other places! My understanding (from reading the results board) is that 27k is on the higher end, but was wondering what other people got... I know it's not about the money, and was prepared to turn down a pretty high offer if it came from a safety...

Edited by adinutzyc

The highest I've received was 30K, but that was with a fellowship top up. The others have been 24.5K to 26.5K, so more than enough to live off of. Fortunately for me, I'm able to choose the school that's the best fit for me, and not have to take finances into account so much, since the offers have been more than enough.

All of my other offers are the average (I expressed above), and all offers are 12 month assistanships. The program is actually very well ranked, so it's not like the school is trying to convince me to come by giving me money... Makes me think they value their students pretty highly. And the living expenses really aren't high where it's at, if maybe a little higher than other places! My understanding (from reading the results board) is that 27k is on the higher end, but was wondering what other people got... I know it's not about the money, and was prepared to turn down a pretty high offer if it came from a safety...

Since other people have been viciously attacking me in other thread, I don't care to speak out about this anymore.

There are two easily observable trends:

- US nationals tend to get a lot more money (especially when the offer comes from public school)

- The more your research interest steers to Math and theory, the less money you get. The more it steers to Engineering and application, the more you get.

27k, in my opinion is average for graphics if you are US citizen

Edited by DezB88

27k, in my opinion is average for graphics if you are US citizen

I am not a US citizen.

Just got a 25k offer from somewhere else, so maybe I was wrong about the 18k average.

But I did not get accepted for graphics, anywhere! Every acceptance that I got was into the computer science department, area to be decided in your first year (although they are aware of my interests).

Are there programs that accept you into a specific field?

And how come I didn't apply to those (rhetoric question)?

I am not a US citizen.

Just got a 25k offer from somewhere else, so maybe I was wrong about the 18k average.

But I did not get accepted for graphics, anywhere! Every acceptance that I got was into the computer science department, area to be decided in your first year (although they are aware of my interests).

Are there programs that accept you into a specific field?

And how come I didn't apply to those (rhetoric question)?

That's not a bad problem if they let you choose your area in the first year - that way you get to experience a little of each area before you have to commit to one. One of my acceptances was like this the others specified that I would be in the group that I mentioned in my SoP.