Freak Out Forum Eh? Seems to fit the bill...

TobiHWill

Alright, I met with the department head of the PhD I REALLY want to attend before the hollidays last year.

I'm not tooting my own horn when I say it was a great interview. It ended with her writting my name at the top of the list for the 2011 Cohort, but, the whole admissions commitee hasn't met since then (I know this for a fact as I have made contact with a lesser member of the commitee).

Is this an unofficial acceptance? Do you think I can count on this? So many things have to be done before I leave for school (sort of a small business person). My other option is nearby, so the scenario is so different! I wish I could count on this other acceptance...

Meh.... I guess this is more or less a re-assurance topic, but I'm at wits end...

Alright, I met with the department head of the PhD I REALLY want to attend before the hollidays last year.

I'm not tooting my own horn when I say it was a great interview. It ended with her writting my name at the top of the list for the 2011 Cohort, but, the whole admissions commitee hasn't met since then (I know this for a fact as I have made contact with a lesser member of the commitee).

Is this an unofficial acceptance? Do you think I can count on this? So many things have to be done before I leave for school (sort of a small business person). My other option is nearby, so the scenario is so different! I wish I could count on this other acceptance...

Meh.... I guess this is more or less a re-assurance topic, but I'm at wits end...

While this makes it look very likely you'll be offered acceptance, I wouldn't count on it to the extent that you start re-arranging your life until you see something in writing.

Not to panic you, but: two years ago (F09 season) I visited a campus and a DGS said all kinds of incredibly complimentary things ("I remembered your application when you emailed me about visiting," "You seem like exactly the kind of student who would do well here," "I wouldn't be surprised if you were offered acceptance,", and the like) and then I got a big fat rejection in the mail about 1.5 months later. A friend of mine in the program assured me it probably had mostly to do with funding issues at the uni, and maybe it was because a meeting I'd had with a POI didnt go very well, but still, who knows what happened.

It sounds like you heard something more strongly reassuring than I did, and I really don't want to rain on your parade (congrats on the successful visit/interview you described!) but my point is to wait for official word before you start changing around your life. You never know what kind of surprises might crop up between your visit and the committee's meeting.

From my own experience and reading others experiences on this board, one cannot solely rely on a POI/DGS/etc., until you have an acceptance in writing. Your experience sounds very positive, but unless one person is in charge of admissions, there is an entire committee that must be consulted regarding admissions. So, I would have to say no, this does not sound like an unofficial acceptance; you had a great experience with a POI, and I wish you luck in your application!

Yeah it was a really good experience, but It had better end well!

Someday I hope our ancestors live in a wolrd with a streamlined application process... I hope these Profs know what they put us throud :P

I would sure be surprised if I was dropped after being penciled in like that, but without it being official I'm still totaly constrained...

Well, Pray for me!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use