57 members have voted

1. 1. Which degree did you apply for?

• M.A. in Arab Studies
    • M.A. in German & European Studies
    • M.A. in Latin American Studies
    • M.A. Russian, Eurasian & East European Studies
    • M.A. in Security Studies
    • M.S. in Foreign Service

Thought I'd make a thread for Georgetown School of Foreign Service (SFS) since decisions for MSFS applicants are supposed to be released on Tuesday (3/15). I for one am a bit nervous given the small size of their incoming class (90 students!).

Who else is applying? Feel free to share stats, career objectives, other programs applied for, and how you're passing the time until decisions are released.

Thought I'd make a thread for Georgetown School of Foreign Service (SFS) since decisions for MSFS applicants are supposed to be released on Tuesday (3/15). I for one am a bit nervous given the small size of their incoming class (90 students!).

Who else is applying? Feel free to share stats, career objectives, other programs applied for, and how you're passing the time until decisions are released.

Just out of curiosity, where did you here 3/15 from? Thanks!

I was just thinking to open this thread because there is a very good chance that we will hear back from Gtown this week, though i am not sure if the date of March 15 has officially been declared by the school, and the website says "on or before April 1".

I myself am waiting my inevitable rejection, due mainly to my relatively low GPA -but i don't know how will World Education Service converse my GPA to 4 scale system-, the fact that the average GPA of MSFS'ers is 3.7 is not really encouraging. I have a sense that MSFS is the most GPA-driven program among its peers.

Edited by apsuwa

Just out of curiosity, where did you here 3/15 from? Thanks!

Good question - I just went back and checked why I'd written down that date, but I couldn't find anything definitive. My only two pieces of info are: 1) 3/15 is the date they started releasing last year (late in the day via email according to last year's thread) and 2) that's the date the MBA program releases decisions.

So... nothing conclusive. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part?

Apsuwa - I'm concerned about GPA too. My GRE scores were higher than the averages posted on the admission site, but my 3.2 undergrad GPA is definitely a source of worry! With a class size of less than 100, I think everyone is rolling the dice to some extent.

Good luck everyone!

I find myself wondering about the average applicant's profile. I know that I have spent the past three years of my life attempting to make my application to MSFS competitive. I feel it is, and if I don't get in, I did the best I could. What I wonder is what % of applicants are applying on a lark versus very premeditated decisions. The admissions website makes international work / study experience seem highly important. With 90 spots, what percentage of applicants do you think are competitive?

I find myself wondering about the average applicant's profile. I know that I have spent the past three years of my life attempting to make my application to MSFS competitive. I feel it is, and if I don't get in, I did the best I could. What I wonder is what % of applicants are applying on a lark versus very premeditated decisions. The admissions website makes international work / study experience seem highly important. With 90 spots, what percentage of applicants do you think are competitive?

Not sure about what % of all applicants are competitive (or qualified), but this is from the website:

The program normally receives around 1000 applications and admits 20 – 25%. Our goal is select a diverse and talented pool of students who can not only benefit from the program, but also have valuable experiences to share with their fellow students.

I'm not a math genious but how come the size of incoming class is 95, when they admit 20-25 % of around 1000 applications? Shouldn't it be at least double of that number?

It has to do with what the schools call "yield". That is, the percentage of students who are accepted that end up matriculating. Based on previous years, Georgetown SFS knows that if they admit 250 applicants, 90 will end up matriculating. Yield is one data point that people use to rank schools (if a school is really great, everyone who gets in will want to go). It's also a reason why if Georgetown is your absolute first choice, it's good to convey that to them because then they will be reassured that you'll matriculate if accepted (improving their stats).

I'm not a math genious but how come the size of incoming class is 95, when they admit 20-25 % of around 1000 applications? Shouldn't it be at least double of that number?

It's confusing, but it has to do with the fact that a certain percentage of students admitted will decline the offer of admission (to go to another program, continue to work, etc.) Not sure about SFS specifically, but I think the top IR schools (Fletcher, SAIS, SIPA, G-town SFS, etc.) admit around a third of those who apply and then about a third of those admitted will eventually enroll. That's how you go from 1000ish applications, to 250ish admitted, to 90ish enrolled.

It has to do with what the schools call "yield". That is, the percentage of students who are accepted that end up matriculating. Based on previous years, Georgetown SFS knows that if they admit 250 applicants, 90 will end up matriculating. Yield is one data point that people use to rank schools (if a school is really great, everyone who gets in will want to go). It's also a reason why if Georgetown is your absolute first choice, it's good to convey that to them because then they will be reassured that you'll matriculate if accepted (improving their stats).

Hımm, ok. But I would be absulutely amazed if more than half of the admits decline MSFS's offer. Isn't it a bit higher given the reputation of the program?

Hımm, ok. But I would be absulutely amazed if more than half of the admits decline MSFS's offer. Isn't it a bit higher given the reputation of the program?

I imagine a good number of people who are admitted with no funding are hesitant to take on the high cost of the program coupled with the cost of living in DC. Especially if these same people might have full/partial funding elsewhere. I'm not holding my breath, but if I do somehow luck into getting admitted to the MSFS, I would almost certainly not get funding and ultimately have to decline.

Yeah, I agree with you. But I think there are lots of other variables involved. Students that are accepted to SFS are going to be strong candidates at other schools too, including SAIS, SIPA, WWS, HKS, etc. Maybe some end up receiving financial awards elsewhere. Or maybe some end up not enrolling because they get a promotion at work, or don't want to take on all the debt in a slow economy.

I guess when it comes to MA programs, it doesn't take all that much to apply GRE, 75$, a couple essays, and somewhat standard LORs (compared to an MBA program that requires a higher application fee, a more expensive test, school-specific questions for recommenders, and more essays) . So there may be some applicants who applied just to keep their options open - and still might be unsure about whether or not the program is the right fit.

Yeah, I agree with you. But I think there are lots of other variables involved. Students that are accepted to SFS are going to be strong candidates at other schools too, including SAIS, SIPA, WWS, HKS, etc. Maybe some end up receiving financial awards elsewhere. Or maybe some end up not enrolling because they get a promotion at work, or don't want to take on all the debt in a slow economy.

I guess when it comes to MA programs, it doesn't take all that much to apply GRE, 75$, a couple essays, and somewhat standard LORs (compared to an MBA program that requires a higher application fee, a more expensive test, school-specific questions for recommenders, and more essays) . So there may be some applicants who applied just to keep their options open - and still might be unsure about whether or not the program is the right fit.

I don't care what reasons they have or have not to accept us or accept us not...

Let's just hope we get our decisions soon :)

so, i guess now.. my question is funding being equal for the different programs... how are you making your choice? for me it will be between american sis, sais, and sfs, and i have no idea how to approach the decision. i can see differences in the programs, but i don't know what that means in terms of decisions?

so, i guess now.. my question is funding being equal for the different programs... how are you making your choice? for me it will be between american sis, sais, and sfs, and i have no idea how to approach the decision. i can see differences in the programs, but i don't know what that means in terms of decisions?

I think it's a matter of your fit with the school, both personally and professionally. Have you had the chance to visit the campuses? That might help give you a sense where you'd fit on a personal level.

Also, what do you want to do professionally in the short term/long term? Depending on your goals, one of the three programs you're looking at might be much better suited to your needs.

Just got a call from the MBA program - I'm in. Now I'm really nervous about the SFS program... ohpleasepleaseplease. Wait, begging doesn't help does it?

Just got a call from the MBA program - I'm in. Now I'm really nervous about the SFS program... ohpleasepleaseplease. Wait, begging doesn't help does it?

It does help. If you beg me, I will make all your dreams come true!

Well, at least I will try

Edited by Fong Sai Yuk

Any guesses (informed or otherwise) about when we'll hear? I was hoping for tonight- but hope is fading.

on the faq page it says "An official decision letter will be mailed to every applicant by the Graduate School Dean."

So I'm expecting something in the mail. Hopefully we'll all get word in the next couple days!

on the faq page it says "An official decision letter will be mailed to every applicant by the Graduate School Dean."

So I'm expecting something in the mail. Hopefully we'll all get word in the next couple days

It looks like last year all admits received an email on the evening of 3/15 - they also received a paper letter a few days later. I don't have any reason to think admissions will do the same thing again, just hoping I guess.

It looks like last year all admits received an email on the evening of 3/15 - they also received a paper letter a few days later. I don't have any reason to think admissions will do the same thing again, just hoping I guess.

Ah okay, didn't know they got emails. Sorry then, I have no clue :(

last year most people found out march 15th... i'm hoping they come out soon, but i emailed the admissions office monday to update about a fellowship status and they said "The review committee has begun its deliberations and you can expect to receive notice of their decision by mail within the next three weeks."

i hope they are being generous with that three week timeline