My MA application deadline was March 15th

Poppet

I have to preface this by stating that I'm not an American, so bear with me.

Like the title says, the application deadline for the MA in Human Rights at Columbia was March 15th, which is precariously close to this April 15th deadline. Does anyone know if students accepted to my program are bound by this April-15th rule? Applications aren't rolling, so this seems like a very short turn-around time the school's imposed on itself if they have to have responses out before April 15th... I would look for this information myself because I know not all schools are bound to the April 15th-thing, but I really don't know what these rules even are.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm Canadian and our schools admit and reject you according to their own schedule and there are no mandatory state-wide dates that determine anything for us. ;)

I believe the April 15th deadline is in regards to accepting funding, and if the school is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools.

Check out this link: http://www.cgsnet.org/?tabid=201

That's my understanding as well -- it's really for funded programs and for early applicants. March/April deadlines are typically for non-funded consideration from what I can tell, and these seem to be handled differently. Last year I applied in early March to a school with an April 1 deadline for non-funded consideration, Jan 1 for funding. They responded to the early applicants by mid-March, but I didn't hear until mid-June. So the April 15 deadline wasn't an issue, but it also meant that -- because I'd applied later than the early deadline -- I wasn't guaranteed a response before April, so it would have been tough weighing multiple options, assuming I'd had multiple options. I also wasn't given a deadline for my response, just "as soon as possible."

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use