Switching Subjects?

I did my undergraduate work in history and am presently finishing up an MA in American History. I want to be an academic more than anything, but I really want to switch my field to American Literature. I was in an honors track in undergrad. where I got a strong background in literature, but have not taken English courses beyond that. I want to switch for numerous reasons, some having to do with preference and some having to do with what I have, in the course of my MA, found my strengths to be. I worry that going so far in history might count against me, but if it were not for my work for my MA I would have not known how much I preferred Am. Lit. I have always used substantial amounts of literature as primary sources in my historical studies, and did well on the subject-specific GRE. I realize that I will need to get an MA in Lit. before applying to PhD programs, but is it even possible for me at this point? Has anyone else done this? Are there some schools that would be more accepting of this than others? For whatever it's worth, I am taking continuing ed. courses in writing to help polish up my writing samples.

I was the same way, all through undergrad and my MA. I got generic humanities degrees, then decided to specialize. I applied to both disciplines (History and English), and it ended up working out. My best suggestion is to find programs that fit your interests, and to make sure you have a variety of applications out there -- that is, if you have one in to Prestigious U, make sure you have one in at Mediocre U and Podunk U, as well. More often than not, fit is what will get you in, but it's also important to remember that the Prestigious U's of the world get hundreds of applications for tens of spots. Best to send out lots of apps to a variety of programs.

Also, a few PhD apps wouldn't kill you. If you've done work in U.S. History, you might just have to fill some deficiencies when you get to your PhD program. I would contact the program directors and ask them what they thought. That way, you can get some PhD apps out at the same time as your MA apps. No sense doing a second terminal MA if you could earn an incidental one during your PhD program.

You actually probably don't need to get a MA in lit, particularly since you already have one. If you want the PhD, apply directly to PhD programs. English literature programs do take students without MAs and accept them into PhD programs. Another thing you may want to consider depending on your interests is applying to American Studies PhD programs...

Thank you, to both who replied. My only concern with an American Studies PhD is job opportunities. Even American Studies departments seem to be staffed by History or English PhDs. Does anyone know of a program with a good placement record?

I imagine that Brown would be a good place to look. Try these links for more ideas: http://community.livejournal.com/who_got_in/80937.html ; http://community.livejournal.com/who_got_in/7405.html ; http://community.livejournal.com/who_got_in/31621.html . I really don't know much about American Studies PhD programs but it seemed like it could be a good fit for you.