Does this Email mean an admission?

gxdq1985912

I just received an Email for PHD in Economics, please help me out, does it really mean an admission ?

"I am happy to inform you that you are in our third group of international students. We are sending first-round offers of acceptance with full fellowship to the first group. The second group is on the first waiting list of international students. And your group is on the second waiting list for offers of acceptance with full fellowship. Unfortunately, because of the current budgetary situation in California, we have fewer full fellowships to offer this year than in previous years. As a result, even though we were very impressed by your application, it appears unlikely that we will be in a position to offer you acceptance with full fellowship.

I can however make you an offer now with limited financial support. Unfortunately, the Graduate Division does not allow offers to be altered or renegotiated, so if you accept an offer with only limited support, there is no possibility of its later being upgraded to a full fellowship. An offer with limited financial support entails fees and non-resident tuition (NRT) for the first year, and NRT in the second year.

Recently, we have been able to provide teaching assistantships to all Ph.D. students who have applied for one, including those who were accepted with limited financial support and with no support. I hope this situation continues, but the state budget situation creates considerable uncertainty.

Please let me know if you would like to receive an offer of admission with limited financial support. If you do not respond, you will remain on the second waiting list. "

I have never heard of "second group of waitinglist" before, does it mean if I accept the offer with limited financial support, I will be admitted immediately? And what does the "limited Financial Support" mean? Any reponse will be appreciated, thanks....

I have never heard of "second group of waitinglist" before, does it mean if I accept the offer with limited financial support, I will be admitted immediately? And what does the "limited Financial Support" mean? Any reponse will be appreciated, thanks....

Definitely an admissions offer if you're willing to give up the (apparently remote) possibility of a full ride. They don't give any more information on what "limited financial support" means, although I read the email as stating that if you accept, there are three possibilities:

1. You'll get some kind of limited tuition remittance, and possibly a T.A. position, though this is not guaranteed.

2. You'll only get a T.A. position, but again they're not going to guarantee it. But they're really, really, like 99% sure you'd get one of these.

3. You'll get little or no tuition remittance, and the T.A. thing falls through and you're stuck with the bill for everything.

I think my questions for them would be:

1. What kind of limited financial assistance are you offering right now?

2. If I stay on the second waitlist and am not admitted with full support, how does that affect my chances of being admitted later under the terms you're offering now? (How much of a risk am I taking by not accepting this offer?)

3. When do I need to decide?

Congratulations on the offer, though... At least you have a few options there. Best of luck!

Congratulations! Yes, it means admission. But, unfortunately not with full financial support. You should make your decision soon. If you accept the offer, the financial support will entail fees and non-resident tuition (NRT) for the first year, and NRT in the second year, as it says above. PhD programs are usually about 4-5 years, so you will need to pay the tuition for your third and fourth (so on) years. But, they say you have a chance for assistantship.

If you don't have any better offer, you should accept this one. If you get the assistantship position, you won't have to worry about the tuition since they cover it for TAs. If you don't get the TA position, you may find a scholarship from somewhere else. But, of course, it is not an easy thing. They say they have been offering TA to all PhDs so far, so there is a good possibilty for TA position.

Edited by DRT23

If you get the assistantship position, you won't have to worry about the tuition since they cover it for TAs. If you don't get the TA position, you may find a scholarship from somewhere else. But, of course, it is not an easy thing. They say they have been offering TA to all PhDs so far, so there is a good possibilty for TA position.

Not saying you're wrong, but how do you know this? The e-mail didn't seem to say anything about tuition being paid for TAs. It says the 'limited' financial support covers fees and NRT, but that's not dependent on being a TA. I think the OP would need to check on this.

I would also ask if they anticipate being able to offer your funding after your first year? I was offered admission somewhere without funding, but they explicitly stated there are new opportunities for funding for second year students.

When do you have to accept this by? If you wait it out, could you possibly get a full fellowship offer from the other waitlist?

I'm hesitating at the 2nd paragraph that says if you accept at a partial fellowship you can never get a full one later. Limited support for year 1 is student fees and non-resident tuition waiver. For year 2, it's just the non-resident tuition waiver. But the rest of the years of a PhD program will be a big financial burden without any more limited support. What's their average completion rate? How many years will you be paying for it all?

They seem cautiously optimistic that you could possibly get a teaching assistantship. You should find out what the TA will give you..does it provide stipend, health insurance, and a tuition waiver (partial or full)? If you get a TA, how many quarters/semesters is it good for, one or multiple? Will you have to keep reapplying and hoping for a TA?

Thanks for the ppl up there commented on this post, though, I have Emailed them yesterday morning, mentioning to accept the offer with "limited finanical support", until now, more than 24 hours passed, no further response from UCR, whether they are waiting other applicants' response at the same time? I can't stay cool until they email me about the decision, have to be more patient~~~ Hope everyone on this forum getting their dream school offer~~:)

Thanks for the ppl up there commented on this post, though, I have Emailed them yesterday morning, mentioning to accept the offer with "limited finanical support", until now, more than 24 hours passed, no further response from UCR, whether they are waiting other applicants' response at the same time? I can't stay cool until they email me about the decision, have to be more patient~~~ Hope everyone on this forum getting their dream school offer~~:)

Below is the response I received just now:

"Amanda should be sending you a form letter from me today or tomorrow with more details on what "limited financial support" means. If I do not hear back from you, I shall go ahead and process your offer. You should receive the formal offer in about two weeks."

Definitely an admissions offer if you're willing to give up the (apparently remote) possibility of a full ride. They don't give any more information on what "limited financial support" means, although I read the email as stating that if you accept, there are three possibilities:

1. You'll get some kind of limited tuition remittance, and possibly a T.A. position, though this is not guaranteed.

2. You'll only get a T.A. position, but again they're not going to guarantee it. But they're really, really, like 99% sure you'd get one of these.

3. You'll get little or no tuition remittance, and the T.A. thing falls through and you're stuck with the bill for everything.

I think my questions for them would be:

1. What kind of limited financial assistance are you offering right now?

2. If I stay on the second waitlist and am not admitted with full support, how does that affect my chances of being admitted later under the terms you're offering now? (How much of a risk am I taking by not accepting this offer?)

3. When do I need to decide?

Congratulations on the offer, though... At least you have a few options there. Best of luck!

Thanks for your sincere comments, I have already eMailed this school that I wish to accept this offer, and the I-20 form is on the way, the thing is what if my dream school is willing to give my full funding, is it an unethical behavior if I declined it and accept my dream school's offer? Does it violate "415"?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been REJECTED after receiving the offer email from department coordinator in UCR at the end of march, I was shocked by the desperate news, the coordinator said the graduate division did not follow his recommendation, low GPA and just-over-acceptance GRE turns me down, I am being really pissed off, how school could do this to an me? Any similar case happened before?? is there anything I could do right now??

I've been REJECTED after receiving the offer email from department coordinator in UCR at the end of march, I was shocked by the desperate news, the coordinator said the graduate division did not follow his recommendation, low GPA and just-over-acceptance GRE turns me down, I am being really pissed off, how school could do this to an me? Any similar case happened before?? is there anything I could do right now??

That's very unfortunate, but I don't think there's much you can do. It's unfair that they don't let you know about such requirements upfront (if indeed this rejection was due to not meeting a cutoff GPA), but that seems to be the way things go. Transparency isn't exactly a strong point of the admissions process.

So sorry to hear that -- what terrible news! Is there any chance of a "probational" acceptance (probably not, but no harm asking)? When I first heard about the system used, I thought it sounded very peculiar. How can you be accepted by your program and rejected by the school? However, it's apparently a pretty standard set-up. :angry:

I guess probably they were not impressed with your enquiries for the term in your previous email comparing with others response. Then they make an excuse to turn you down.

I don't think there is much to do at this point of time. This experience tells us that we need to be cautious with the opportunities that appear. A lapse of an opportunity may mean very serious results.

@wendychina: Oh come on, you're not allowed to ask for clarification on your financial situation for the next 5-7 years or they'll retract their offer? I can't imagine they are THAT touchy, at least if the inquiry is written reasonably polite. Probably more "first group" people accepted their offers than they thought, so they don't have any more places.

Edited by TheCantervilleGhost

@wendychina: No, the US is not like China. They LIKE questions, the LOVE giving clarifications, because it makes them feel that the person requesting them is genuinely interested. I come from a country with a mentality like that: don't ask any questions, they make you seem stupid/pushy. I can tell you first the US is NOT like that. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions here! Not asking questions can do more harm than good (at an interview for example)

I think the main point here is that a decision is not final until you've heard from the grad school - in writing, with a signature. An email from a POI can only be considered informal. I am sorry about this, and I think it is truly awful. I also think that the fact that they have money problems is awful too (I thought it was just a rumor). Good luck with your other applications!