I AM CANADIAN.

everygirl

The University of Ottawa has a lot of things going for it -- a great city, lovely campus, good connections for international, NGO and gov't work, solid roster of profs and research chairs (in my subject at least) and competitive funding. The administration there, however, has so many problems that it might severely derail your uni experience. Think classes getting cancelled at the last minute, poor communication about university deadlines and regulations, and some seriously questionable responses to campus issues.

As with any university, but particularly with U of O, it might be a good idea to look into campus culture and some of the ways the university has been in the news in the process of making your decision.

The University of Ottawa has a lot of things going for it -- a great city, lovely campus, good connections for international, NGO and gov't work, solid roster of profs and research chairs (in my subject at least) and competitive funding. The administration there, however, has so many problems that it might severely derail your uni experience. Think classes getting cancelled at the last minute, poor communication about university deadlines and regulations, and some seriously questionable responses to campus issues.

As with any university, but particularly with U of O, it might be a good idea to look into campus culture and some of the ways the university has been in the news in the process of making your decision.

The only news I get from google is that of a tenured professor fired for academic squatting.

I am not interested in campus politics [as long as I am left to be myself]. Visiting is not an option for me. My question was mainly about the academic reputation UoO has in physical sciences, let's say, in comparison with UBC.

Thanks in advance.

The only news I get from google is that of a tenured professor fired for academic squatting.

I am not interested in campus politics [as long as I am left to be myself]. Visiting is not an option for me. My question was mainly about the academic reputation UoO has in physical sciences, let's say, in comparison with UBC.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not in physics, but I would bet a large sum that UBC's physics department is quite a bit better than Ottawa's, in terms of both resources and reputation. For instance, there's a particle accelerator on the UBC campus (TRIUMF); I visited there when I took a physics course at SFU. I don't know how 'cutting edge' it is, but I'm sure it provides research opportunities.

York is a really good school, but very activist orientated (and likes to strike). It really depends on what type of person/ research you're into. One negative is that campus life is minimal to none! That being said, the academics are phenomenal.

Looking for some input:

I've applied for an MA in Anthropology at U of T, Carleton, and Waterloo and am trying to decide. U of T hasn't responded yet (UGH!) but apparently has a guaranteed $15k funding, is close to home, and is 12 months. Carleton is offering me a huge scholarship/ TAship, is 2 years, and seems like a great environment, but is 6+ hours from home. Waterloo is the lowest funding package, 4 terms (16 months), is a new-ish program, fairly close to home, and is a great campus/ city in general. Does anyone have any input?

I feel like I'm in a stalemate!

LIke Rock Lobster, I'm a bit stuck too, and I'm trying to choose between two funded PhDs, one at an established program (McMaster) and one at a new program at a highly ranked schools (UBC). Does anyone know anything at all about UBC's Religious Studies program? I know no one who has gone there, so it's very difficult to tell.

Another Canadian checking in!

I went to UofT for undergrad, and Queen's for my MA- now I'm headed back to UofT in the fall.

I have friends that were very happy at McMaster- though, as far as I know, it isn't too highly ranked in my area (history). I tend to see it as more of a medical/science university.

Another Canadian checking in!

I went to UofT for undergrad, and Queen's for my MA- now I'm headed back to UofT in the fall.

I have friends that were very happy at McMaster- though, as far as I know, it isn't too highly ranked in my area (history). I tend to see it as more of a medical/science university.

Mac's generally science oriented, with the very notable exception of Religious Studies. When I was at UofT for my undergrad, we were often assigned a lot of the work of current faculty at Mac for readings and such. Mac's been strong in Religious Studies since its founding, since it started as a Divinty college.

Hi everyone, I am new to the gradforum blog but I am pretty stoked that there is a place I can ask questions. I just recently received my acceptance letter from Simon Fraser for a Masters in Crim (via email, the hardcopy has not arrived). It basically just says I have been admitted to the program make sure to send my final transcripts the end. I am wondering if anyone else has had to wait to accept their acceptance before they hear anything about funding, TAships etc. Thanks!

I might be the only Rye High cheerleader! Absolutely loved my time at RU. Was a former YorkU bio geek.

I am packing up and leaving for NYC. Will miss the streets of Toronto! And perhaps the HNIC commentators.

Hi everyone , I'm a student from China, studying in the States and now applying for master programs in Canada... What do you guys think about the difference, or say the comparison, of the universities between the States and Canada? For example, if my university, U of NE- Lincoln, compare to UWO or McMaster. (My major is Biomedical Engineering). What do you think?

Hi everyone , I'm a student from China, studying in the States and now applying for master programs in Canada... What do you guys think about the difference, or say the comparison, of the universities between the States and Canada? For example, if my university, U of NE- Lincoln, compare to UWO or McMaster. (My major is Biomedical Engineering). What do you think?

I'll bite... the main difference, I think, is the expense. The schools in the States are significantly more expensive, aren't they? When my brother was an international student, my parents were constantly freaking out over the fees they had to pay, and he eventually transferred to McGill. Plus, depending on your field, you need the GRE to apply to the States whereas in Canada I didn't have to write it, thank God.

Otherwise, it all depends on which country you want to live in. My family ended up choosing Canada, and I think we're better for it. Also, as an international student, the healthcare options in Canada might be better than in the States. And our money is colored!

YMMV. Except about the colored money.

I'll bite... the main difference, I think, is the expense. The schools in the States are significantly more expensive, aren't they? When my brother was an international student, my parents were constantly freaking out over the fees they had to pay, and he eventually transferred to McGill. Plus, depending on your field, you need the GRE to apply to the States whereas in Canada I didn't have to write it, thank God.

Otherwise, it all depends on which country you want to live in. My family ended up choosing Canada, and I think we're better for it. Also, as an international student, the healthcare options in Canada might be better than in the States. And our money is colored!

YMMV. Except about the colored money.

Thanks!~

GRE is nightmare for students from China.. I don't want to take it anymore..