Technology

thelowendhz

Hey everyone,

I'm starting at UCLA in the fall and I'm going to be investing in a new laptop (my current computer is 4 years old and breaks at least once a semester). I was wondering if people out there could give me some pointers in picking out a new machine for all my fancy upcoming grad school responsibilities (i.e. researching, writing, teaching, traveling). I currently own a PC, but I feel like the majority of grad students I see around campus own Macs. I hear that Macs are much more reliable; also, since I'm not really going to be playing games, then program compatibility issues with Macs would not really be a problem. So, what do you think?

For what it's worth, if you're considering a PC, be prepared to be stuck with Vista. Microsoft is phasing out XP (in June I believe) and all PCs come with Vista unless you buys as a small business.

Your school's IT department will have some sort of guide, and possibly a link to student discounts, for buying computers or software for school. Ask your grad director if there is a departmental preference for Macs or PCs and if there are any programs that you simply must have. Also check which computer brands have licensed warrenty service shops on campus. That way, if anything goes wrong or you just need some tech help, there will be actual people you can talk to. At Notre Dame, my motherboard fried (my own fault) and I was able to take my computer in, get it diagnosed, and have a replacement part ordered and installed within 24 hours. The IT department's website will tell you what brands it will service.

The reliability of Macs has somewhat lessened of late, but that's mostly because people are running Microsoft programs on them and it's the Microsoft programs that are causing the problems. I've been very happy with my Dell.

You can still get XP through Dell. I have a Vostro that I like a lot. Another option would be to buy an XP disc separately and install it on your new system from there. Heck, you could just get Ubuntu for free.

I'd recommend against getting a Mac. You'll end up spending about twice as much on one as you would for a comparable PC.

I use my Mac notebook all the time while I'm watching a Richard Pryor movie on Betamax, or while listening to my favorite Foghat 8-track!

Between how funny this comment is, and how inexplicably overpriced Mac products are, you really are better off getting a PC. Honestly, look at the Asus EEE (if you are not on the "enormous" side--the keys are too small for my fingers). ~$375 for a tiny, reliable computer ... which granted does not have Windows on it (though you can get one with XP for ~$450?). Honestly, how can you beat that? Is an IBook worth the cost of about three PC laptops?

I would recommend a Mac, but it depends on your course of study. As a humanities person, I do a lot of writing, so my Mac fits my needs very well. I've had both a PC and a Mac laptop and I have to say that I love my Mac. With the student discount, I found the price to be reasonable, particularly when considering the warranty and extended warranty. I had a small issue with my screen, but I took it into a Mac store and it was fixed within 3 days. With my PC I had numerous issues, including viruses and the like, which proved extremely frustrating to deal with and expensive to fix. Also, the Mac operating system is very simple and user friendly. And I have to add that the customer support is great.

I got a mac when I started undergrad for my BFA. Then I ended up doing sculpture of course, not a design program. xD I've had my ibook since 2004 and the only problems with it have been my fault. (Even macs don't like it when you spill tea on them!)

I would recommend a mac but just try one out before you buy since the operating system differences might not be worth it to you.