Reimbursement for visits

Scare Quotes

I made recruitment visits to two schools that offered full reimbursement of travel costs. Neither has done so yet (they both have my receipts/contact info/etc). Is anyone else in a similar situation? What should I do?? I feel exceptionally awkward asking for the money, especially from the department whose offer I turned down!

I visited a school that told me upfront they would reimburse my travel costs. I eventually got my check, but it took them a while (two months). Since both schools told you they would offer full reimbursement, they should honor that. If I was in your situation, I would send a polite email (maybe later followed by a phone call), asking them when you should expect to receive your reimbursement. I know that you might feel awkward asking about money, but I think most schools understand that traveling is expensive (and many of us are poor students). Good luck!

leavinmyheart,

I don't think the school is trying to stiff you. Often these things take time because of University bureaucracy. You fill out the stuff, the department has to process and collect signatures, then their accountant has to process, then the Univ has to process. At my current school, even travel reimbursements for current students take about 6 weeks, and that's with direct deposit. If they have to mail a check, you can imagine how much longer it takes! So I'm not sure what repeatedly calling can do, other than annoy the office staff who often have lots on their plate at the end of the year between finals, graduation, summer paperwork, etc. They know you need the money but they can't exactly hurry up the process that the university requires.

Right. I had my visit in April and the reimbursement form says to give an address valid through June... once it starts going through the various bureaucratic offices, no one really has a firm idea of when the check will get to you. I need my money back so I can save it for moving in the fall, haha. But at the same time, I'm glad to be getting a reimbursement no matter how long it takes, since all programs don't do it.

Let's think about this rationally for a minute. What school in its right mind would promise reimbursement funds and then not give them? It makes no sense. Perception and reputation are incredibly important to them when it comes to recruiting. If word got out -- and obviously it would -- that they stiff students for visitation money, they would have a hard time getting students to come visit at all.

Like others have noted, it took some schools longer than others to pony up, but all of them did, regardless of whether I'd already declined the offer. Admittedly, I'm just the type to get paranoid about that sort of thing, but I managed to hold my fire and was glad for it.

• 10 months later...

The school I visted, UIUC was really good about reimbursing me. The secretary filled out the paper work the day that I left. My check came in 1 week later after I visited. But, this is probably because I was the first prospective student to visit the program.

I work for a grad department's budget office, and travel takes a looong time to process. I don't think it would be unfair to ask them for a timeline of when your reimbursement might be processed, but do your best to acknowledge that its a lengthy, bureaucratic process. Once the department does its paperwork, there is nothing they can do to speed it up.

Anyone had experience getting reimbursed for car rental? Im visiting a school in LA - they paid for the plane ticket but I will basically have to rent a car. One caveat is that I am staying there longer to visit another school...

Can you ask the other school to reimburse your car rental fees? You are right to rent one--you can't really make it around LA comfortably without a car--but schools usually tell you how much they will reimburse, total, and your plane ticket may have already met that.

You'll get the reimbursement. The University of Maryland took almost two months to send mine, but it came eventually. There's a good chance they won't start processing them until they hear yes or no from all potential applicants, as they have to process the yes-es different than the nos.

They won't not reimburse you out of spite. The people doing the reimbursements are usually secretaries who couldn't care less who comes and who goes somewhere else.