McGill University

caseym519

A little bit of exercise does not hurt :)

What about a single bus ticket? How does it work? In Edmonton, a single ticket gives the right to use bus/metro for 90 minutes without restrictions.

I am looking forward to moving to Montreal. So far, I have not heard anything negative about the city. Everything about it seems delightful.

Parc is great, but a bit of a walk from the bus to campus, without switching buses or taking a metro. Not so fun in the winter. Metro is better (in my humble and lazy opinion).

But yes, northeast of campus is likely where you want to be in order to enjoy the city at its best. Also due east off Sherbrooke is pretty great for a couple of km anyway, at least until de Lorimier. More French there, but I suppose that's what adds to the charm.

A great city indeed. I don't actually live there anymore, but am looking forward to being back for the year. And one of the best things about where I do live is proximity to Montreal. It's one of the few world-class cosmopolitan cities where normal people can still afford to live and just about everything anyone could want is available somewhere.

Well, they've done a major overhaul of the system recently, and I don't think it's worth it to buy single tickets, but yes, still possible. There's no time limit; you could buy 10 in one day to use in the future (but wouldn't, as it's cheaper to buy several rides). I think once used, you can get a transfer up to 90 minutes later, which means the ride is 90 minutes plus any subsequent transfers. They have these magnetic cards now though, instead of single tickets. You buy the card once and you can buy a number of rides, or a month or a week, kind of deal. I guess in the end, if you only buy single rides on the card, the timing / amounts work out the same, but who knows. Bottom line, it works and its cost effective.

Montreal also has Bixie bikes for rent. I have no idea what the rates are. I'm sure the information is available online. People either love them or hate them. (Drivers definitely hate them.) Not an option in the winter, of course.

As far as cities go, I agree completely.

A little bit of exercise does not hurt :)

What about a single bus ticket? How does it work? In Edmonton, a single ticket gives the right to use bus/metro for 90 minutes without restrictions.

I am looking forward to moving to Montreal. So far, I have not heard anything negative about the city. Everything about it seems delightful.

Edited by catwoman_80

good morning catwoman

it looks like the ticket is valid for 120min according to their webiste.

may I ask this question, please? do you think st famille is noisy, being close to st laurent (drunk people / vehicles)?

Well, they've done a major overhaul of the system recently, and I don't think it's worth it to buy single tickets, but yes, still possible. There's no time limit; you could buy 10 in one day to use in the future (but wouldn't, as it's cheaper to buy several rides). I think once used, you can get a transfer up to 90 minutes later, which means the ride is 90 minutes plus any subsequent transfers. They have these magnetic cards now though, instead of single tickets. You buy the card once and you can buy a number of rides, or a month or a week, kind of deal. I guess in the end, if you only buy single rides on the card, the timing / amounts work out the same, but who knows. Bottom line, it works and its cost effective.

Montreal also has Bixie bikes for rent. I have no idea what the rates are. I'm sure the information is available online. People either love them or hate them. (Drivers definitely hate them.) Not an option in the winter, of course.

As far as cities go, I agree completely.

A friend of mine used to live in Ste. Famille and Milton and we used to spend a lot of time on his balcony. I don't remember it being particularly noisy. In terms of drunk people, it's certainly less noisy than the ghetto. In the summer, you can probably hear the Jazz Fest, depending how far south, but that's the case pretty much everywhere around there. That said, I can't promise anything, obviously. If it were me, I would look around Mont Royal and Laurier metro stops. They're higher in the Plateau, where any new Montrealer wants to be, further from crowds and noise, Laurier especially, and still convenient. But that's just my personal choice, and I don't know you, so you may prefer somewhere else! It's nice around there though. Not as crazy in terms of St. Laurent and Prince Arthur, but still lots of great bars and shops and restos around. And close to metro which is key. I wouldn't completely rule out Ste. Famille though. Thing is, I don't live there so I can't give you anything too concrete in terms of the noise.

No worries, by the way, ask away. I'm currently "working from home."

good morning catwoman

it looks like the ticket is valid for 120min according to their webiste.

may I ask this question, please? do you think st famille is noisy, being close to st laurent (drunk people / vehicles)?

Thanks a lot catwoman. Your comments are very valuable to me in making my final decision. Most likely I will stay away from the Ghetto, becuase I don't like surprises :) I was reading online articles and blogs about drunkiness, vandalism, public urination, and vomiting ... lol ... such a happy place full of 1st timers. Probably it is not a daily thing but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially that I have to sign for a 1-year lease. I think most likely I will end up in the du parc area. One thing I find attracting about the ghetto is having to walk, which is great for exercising. On the other hand, living in du parc area, I can still take the bus for 15 min and go down to McGill's gym and make use of the fees we pay mandatorily along with tuition.

A friend of mine used to live in Ste. Famille and Milton and we used to spend a lot of time on his balcony. I don't remember it being particularly noisy. In terms of drunk people, it's certainly less noisy than the ghetto. In the summer, you can probably hear the Jazz Fest, depending how far south, but that's the case pretty much everywhere around there. That said, I can't promise anything, obviously. If it were me, I would look around Mont Royal and Laurier metro stops. They're higher in the Plateau, where any new Montrealer wants to be, further from crowds and noise, Laurier especially, and still convenient. But that's just my personal choice, and I don't know you, so you may prefer somewhere else! It's nice around there though. Not as crazy in terms of St. Laurent and Prince Arthur, but still lots of great bars and shops and restos around. And close to metro which is key. I wouldn't completely rule out Ste. Famille though. Thing is, I don't live there so I can't give you anything too concrete in terms of the noise.

No worries, by the way, ask away. I'm currently "working from home."

Edited by PhDMan

What is the deal with the gym? During my undergrad (long enough ago that I won't specify), students still had to pay to use it.

Thanks a lot catwoman. Your comments are very valuable to me in making my final decision. Most likely I will stay away from the Ghetto, becuase I don't like surprises :) I was reading online articles and blogs about drunkiness, vandalism, public urination, and vomiting ... lol ... such a happy place full of 1st timers. Probably it is not a daily thing but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially that I have to sign for a 1-year lease. I think most likely I will end up in the du parc area. One thing I find attracting about the ghetto is having to walk, which is great for exercising. On the other hand, living in du parc area, I can still take the bus for 15 min and go down to McGill's gym and make use of the fees we pay mandatorily along with tuition.

i think this is the norm in universities. probably trying to compel students to use the gym and stay fit. i never really appreciated the importance of fitness until I got more mature.

What is the deal with the gym? During my undergrad (long enough ago that I won't specify), students still had to pay to use it.

Do you mean that it is now included in our tuition fees? I'm unclear. At my current university that is the case, but I remember thinking that it was not like that when I attended McGill.

i think this is the norm in universities. probably trying to compel students to use the gym and stay fit. i never really appreciated the importance of fitness until I got more mature.

Yes. It has always been included in what they call "additional fees." i think this is the norm. at least NA universities.

http://www.mcgill.ca...c/mastfulltime/

in your case, it is going to be $497 for "Student Services/Athletics"

i think it is more affordabe for students to use campus services (health, fitness, societies) when everyone contributes. these services would not be sustainable if only paid by students who use them.

Do you mean that it is now included in our tuition fees? I'm unclear. At my current university that is the case, but I remember thinking that it was not like that when I attended McGill.

Edited by PhDMan

Just read back. Sorry. Apparently that is now the case. Good to know, I guess.

it is like $40 per month. I would rather join a local gym with this kind of money.

Just read back. Sorry. Apparently that is now the case. Good to know, I guess.

$500 is less than what it would cost per year to join a gym. Although yes, it is $500 I probably wouldn't otherwise spend, and I suspect there are additional fees on top of that - nominal ones for group classes and that kind of thing.

Gotta love Quebec tuition.

Yes. It has always been included in what they call "additional fees." i think this is the norm. at least NA universities.

http://www.mcgill.ca...c/mastfulltime/

in your case, it is going to be $497 for "Student Services/Athletics"

i think it is more affordabe for students to use campus services (health, fitness, societies) when everyone contributes. these services would not be sustainable if only paid by students who use them.

actually in my previous university the fees only covered the fulltime studies period (fall and winter terms). i had to pay again for using gym during summer.

i think it is cheaper to join a commerical gym because many of them offer $30/month if you sign up for a whole year.

$500 is less than what it would cost per year to join a gym. Although yes, it is $500 I probably wouldn't otherwise spend, and I suspect there are additional fees on top of that - nominal ones for group classes and that kind of thing.

Gotta love Quebec tuition.

I suppose that varies by university. At my current school, your student card is good for libraries, gym, etc. all year. I just graduated, so I can use the library (and I presume the gym) with my card until the end of August.

On the gym front, I don't know. Clearly I'm not an expert!

actually in my previous university the fees only covered the fulltime studies period (fall and winter terms). i had to pay again for using gym during summer.

i think it is cheaper to join a commerical gym because many of them offer $30/month if you sign up for a whole year.

yes. it varies. i hope it coveres gym for summer as well at McGill.

I suppose that varies by university. At my current school, your student card is good for libraries, gym, etc. all year. I just graduated, so I can use the library (and I presume the gym) with my card until the end of August.

On the gym front, I don't know. Clearly I'm not an expert!