University of Alberta

arnamoy

Hello;

Anyone got into University of Alberta? Anyone considering this university for Fall 2011? I got into MSc in CS.

I did one of my degrees at the University of Alberta and also got accepted into the program I applied for. I love the university. People are extremely friendly and helpful. From what I remember, the CS department is really well known. Congrats!

@ falling_leaves - Thank you for giving the information. I was just wondering whether I should go for on campus or off-campus residence. I can see in their website that I can search for off-campus residences which are mainly private houses and are rented on a shared basis. Can you tell me how should be the transport between these residences and the university? I mean can I get bus or LRT frequently in the city even I am late from college?

@Machine Learner - Yes I received TA. Did you? I applied for Software Systems, Wireless Networking. Do let me know if you are considering this university.

Edited by arnamoy

@ falling_leaves - Thank you for giving the information. I was just wondering whether I should go for on campus or off-campus residence. I can see in their website that I can search for off-campus residences which are mainly private houses and are rented on a shared basis. Can you tell me how should be the transport between these residences and the university? I mean can I get bus or LRT frequently in the city even I am late from college?

Hi arnamoy,

It'll be more convenient to live on campus, but if you do choose to live off campus I'd choose a place near an LRT station. The LRT comes once every 5-10 minutes during peak hours and every 15 minutes after 5 or 6PM. The transit system is okay, but there are certain buses that only come once every 30 minutes or once per hour. There is one thing to keep in mind though: if you choose to live on campus, be prepared to do a little bit of walking. I can't recall any on-campus residences that are near the CS building (if that's where your classes will be located).

If you don't have one already, you'll want to invest in a very warm winter jacket. It starts snowing at the end of October and winter doesn't end until the end of April to the beginning of May.

Let me know if you need more information.

Edited by falling_leaves

Hello falling_leaves;

Could you please tell what are the warm accessories I should buy? I mean what kind of jackets, masks, boots or caps? What are there prices? Can I get them from Ontario? Will those be cheaper there or should I buy them from Edmonton?

Thank you;

P.S - It would be good if I could know your name.:)

Hello falling_leaves;

Could you please tell what are the warm accessories I should buy? I mean what kind of jackets, masks, boots or caps? What are there prices? Can I get them from Ontario? Will those be cheaper there or should I buy them from Edmonton?

Thank you;

P.S - It would be good if I could know your name.:)

Sure. Check PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello;

Anyone got into University of Alberta? Anyone considering this university for Fall 2011? I got into MSc in CS.

I got admit for my MSc. in ECE. I am from a suburb of Kolkata, India. Where are you from? Are you considering joining Alberta?