Monterey Institute vs Korbel School vs American

saa88

I have until March 30th to choose a MA program and I would love some input! I've been accepted to the Monterey Institute of International Studies, University of Denver - Josef Korbel School of IS, and American University - SIS: these are my top 3 choices. Scholarship offers from MIIS and Denver make them equal as far as tuition and about $12K/year cheaper than American. The Denver program is the best fit for my interests but I'm also drawn to the language component at Monterey and the D.C. location/reputation of American. I'm hoping to go into international affairs or foreign policy upon graduation.

Which offer should I accept? Any feedback will be very helpful!

I've also been accepted to a MSc (taught masters, 1yr) Conflict Studies at the London School of Economics/Political Sci. but have decided to decline because I feel the 1 year program could put me at a disadvantage compared to U.S. graduates. Should I give LSE more consideration? It does seem to be geared more towards academia though... tough decisions!

I have until March 30th to choose a MA program and I would love some input! I've been accepted to the Monterey Institute of International Studies, University of Denver - Josef Korbel School of IS, and American University - SIS: these are my top 3 choices. Scholarship offers from MIIS and Denver make them equal as far as tuition and about $12K/year cheaper than American. The Denver program is the best fit for my interests but I'm also drawn to the language component at Monterey and the D.C. location/reputation of American. I'm hoping to go into international affairs or foreign policy upon graduation.

I've also been accepted to a MSc (taught masters, 1yr) Conflict Studies at the London School of Economics/Political Sci. but have decided to decline because I feel the 1 year program could put me at a disadvantage compared to U.S. graduates. Should I give LSE more consideration? It does seem to be geared more towards academia though... tough decisions!

With regards to LSE, I don't think the length of the program will put you at a disadvantage in the DC policy world...if anything does, it would be that LSE isn't an American school, but depending on what exactly it you want to do, that might not matter either. I'm not an expert on the DC mentality, but it seems to me that the more public service oriented (DoD, State, etc) your goals are, the more you'll want to go to a US school. If you're going more along the think tank or private sector analysis route, I think LSE would be fine. Again, though, I'm just stating my personal perception of the situation; I'm not even in DC yet.

As to the other three, I would again ask what you really want to do. Personally, I'd knock off Monterey immediately, because I don't think it compares to either Korbel or SIS from a policy perspective. Being in DC would make your life a lot easier with regards to internships and, if you're going to need one, getting a security clearance, but Korbel does have the DC semester to which you can apply. I've been told by two Korbel students that the quarter system is absolutely insane--if it's the best fit for you, I would go for it (I mean, it worked for Condi Rice, right?), but just be aware that you're going to be absolutely swamped with work.

Just some basic thoughts!

Hello,

I wanted to offer some insight into the Josef Korbel School of International Studies. I am a current student studying International Studies with a regional focus on Russia and the former Soviet Union. First, I would like to say that there is a language component to all of our degrees. Students must display a fourth level proficiency in a foreign language (specifics can be found here).

As far as the location/reputation debate, I think that being in Denver gives our students a competitive edge. We receive a "beyond the beltway" perspective and can look at policy as a bigger picture, rather than be caught up in the details of what is currently the "it" issue in D.C. Also, our faculty and staff have experience in D.C. and the surrounding areas so we do not miss out (a recent example would be our new Dean former Ambassador Christopher Hill). If you want to study in D.C., we do have the DC semester program and all of our degree programs offer credit for internships, just in case you do not want to live in D.C. for an entire semester. Please take a look at our Top 10 Reasons to attend Korbel. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. By email: korbeladm@du.edu or

phone: 303.871.2544

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback! Good points from all! I am still struggling between Denver and American and have been attacking their websites endlessly trying to decide on what is going to be the best program for me. I declined Monterey today, my professors seem to agree that with my career goals and Denver and American in the mix it's #3. Also, similar opinion of LSE - if my goal is to work in the US it's best to stay here.

I'm not too concerned about the quarter system at Denver as I did it as an undergrad - as an insane procrastinator I find that it actually helps motivate me to get everything done. I think my best quarterly GPAs were when I took 17 units and worked. Unfortunately graduate coursework is more difficult and more work...

Also turns out that, in the end, American will be cheaper by about $6K overall b/c of costs outside tuition. Negligible?? Not sure...

It's honestly come down to whether or not I want to stay in DC. I do think American has the advantage with location but Denver's DC program looks like it affords a great opportunity to make up for being outside the Beltway. That being said, I almost feel as if American's DC location would be more overwhelming and stressful because of looming competition for jobs/internships (perhaps this is counterintuitive as you would be aware of more opportunities). Thus, Denver becomes more appealing b/c of location and beyond the Beltway perspective. Also, I am pretty shy so I don't get much out of going to DC events and such other than free drinks and appetizers.

As far as language goes I think it's about equal between the two. It's good to know that Denver requires high foreign language proficiency. American does not, but the semester study abroad program at Sciences Po requires proficiency in French as most classes will be taught in French (obviously my foreign language of choice is French...). I think a language component will be very important for me as it seems to be a very desirable qualification w/in my field.

I did list the coursework for each program and I can get more excited about the classes offered at Denver than those offered at American. This is because the Denver program is an MA in International Security vs American's MA in US Foreign Policy. I can't help but be drawn to classes about weapons proliferation and defense analysis. Based on curriculum alone I would choose Denver but I can't decide how to weight all other factors.

Thank god I can only stress out over this for two more weeks!

(Sorry this is SO long - I'm trying to make it helpful for others just reading the posts).

Thanks for the feedback! Good points from all! I am still struggling between Denver and American and have been attacking their websites endlessly trying to decide on what is going to be the best program for me. I declined Monterey today, my professors seem to agree that with my career goals and Denver and American in the mix it's #3. Also, similar opinion of LSE - if my goal is to work in the US it's best to stay here.

I'm not too concerned about the quarter system at Denver as I did it as an undergrad - as an insane procrastinator I find that it actually helps motivate me to get everything done. I think my best quarterly GPAs were when I took 17 units and worked. Unfortunately graduate coursework is more difficult and more work...

Also turns out that, in the end, American will be cheaper by about $6K overall b/c of costs outside tuition. Negligible?? Not sure...

It's honestly come down to whether or not I want to stay in DC. I do think American has the advantage with location but Denver's DC program looks like it affords a great opportunity to make up for being outside the Beltway. That being said, I almost feel as if American's DC location would be more overwhelming and stressful because of looming competition for jobs/internships (perhaps this is counterintuitive as you would be aware of more opportunities). Thus, Denver becomes more appealing b/c of location and beyond the Beltway perspective. Also, I am pretty shy so I don't get much out of going to DC events and such other than free drinks and appetizers.

As far as language goes I think it's about equal between the two. It's good to know that Denver requires high foreign language proficiency. American does not, but the semester study abroad program at Sciences Po requires proficiency in French as most classes will be taught in French (obviously my foreign language of choice is French...). I think a language component will be very important for me as it seems to be a very desirable qualification w/in my field.

I did list the coursework for each program and I can get more excited about the classes offered at Denver than those offered at American. This is because the Denver program is an MA in International Security vs American's MA in US Foreign Policy. I can't help but be drawn to classes about weapons proliferation and defense analysis. Based on curriculum alone I would choose Denver but I can't decide how to weight all other factors.

Thank god I can only stress out over this for two more weeks!

(Sorry this is SO long - I'm trying to make it helpful for others just reading the posts).

Just my personal opinion (hindsight is 20/20), but I would certainly take American over Denver if the costs are now lower. Take this from someone who also chose Denver over American because I wanted a different perspective as well--it's a great program, but given Denver's mediocre networking and placement it would be tough for me to advise you to go there. I mean that is how one justifies the high tuition, no?

Just my personal opinion (hindsight is 20/20), but I would certainly take American over Denver if the costs are now lower. Take this from someone who also chose Denver over American because I wanted a different perspective as well--it's a great program, but given Denver's mediocre networking and placement it would be tough for me to advise you to go there. I mean that is how one justifies the high tuition, no?

True, I wouldn't even be considering grad school if I didn't expect a leg up with job placement. I think I'm going to have to check out American's admit day to get a better feel for the program. I've been to the campus a few times already but don't seem to get that feeling of "I can see myself here." I suppose it's silly to base my choice on a feeling but I'm generally more productive if I'm happy where I am.

Is networking and placement such a big factor with the major gov. agencies? I did my undergrad in the middle of nowhere in CA and I was able to get my foot in the door and an official (not just career fair) interview w/ a government agency. Unfortunately they told me to come back with a masters and a bit more experience but that's understandable. As long as you have representatives or recruiters coming out a few times a year I can't see being outside DC as a huge disadvantage. I feel like I read somewhere that Denver's real lack of networking is with the think tanks and NGOs rather than the federal gov. Do you see that break down at all or is it weak across the board?

Part of what's drawing me to Denver more is all the outdoors activities and lifestyle (I LOVE the mountains and they don't exist on the east coast). I wonder if this even matters though as I'm sure I'll be swamped with work much of the time.

True, I wouldn't even be considering grad school if I didn't expect a leg up with job placement. I think I'm going to have to check out American's admit day to get a better feel for the program. I've been to the campus a few times already but don't seem to get that feeling of "I can see myself here." I suppose it's silly to base my choice on a feeling but I'm generally more productive if I'm happy where I am.

Is networking and placement such a big factor with the major gov. agencies? I did my undergrad in the middle of nowhere in CA and I was able to get my foot in the door and an official (not just career fair) interview w/ a government agency. Unfortunately they told me to come back with a masters and a bit more experience but that's understandable. As long as you have representatives or recruiters coming out a few times a year I can't see being outside DC as a huge disadvantage. I feel like I read somewhere that Denver's real lack of networking is with the think tanks and NGOs rather than the federal gov. Do you see that break down at all or is it weak across the board?

Part of what's drawing me to Denver more is all the outdoors activities and lifestyle (I LOVE the mountains and they don't exist on the east coast). I wonder if this even matters though as I'm sure I'll be swamped with work much of the time.

The government doesn't care where you went to school, so you're not at a disadvantage in that respect. However, the non-governmental sector starts to matter a lot more when you're approaching graduation and the agencies that security studies students tend to target significantly reduce their hiring pipelines (which is the case right now). I'm not all that familiar with the development career field, but it seemed like a lot of people were just getting jobs with local non-profits (Denver does have a lot of non-profits and charity organizations, actually) as opposed to places that were closer to what they studies. So while I don't lack the sufficient knowledge to say whether or not it is weak across the board, I still have pretty good reason to believe that Denver is pretty far out of the networking loop. The GFTEI side may be better, though I think their degree is a lot more flexible as far as what they bring the table (some quant skills at the least) and its applicability to the private sector.

As far as enjoying the outdoors goes, I don't think the quarter system was all that bad. May depend on what program you're in, but my security classes seemed to be a short paper (7-12 pages) and/or group presentation due in the middle of the quarter and a longer paper (15-20 pages) due at the end. So I found my quarters to be slow in the first half and busy in the second half. Besides, ski season doesn't open till November, and you have over a month between the end of fall quarter and beginning of winter to go nuts. :P