ryanweb

City vs. ???  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is your ideal environment

• Major Metropolis: Gotham City or otherwise
    • Extra-Medium: 50,000-150,000 Friendly Neighbors
    • College Town: An Indie Theater and Sushi Joint on Every Corner
    • Scenic Wilderness: Cougar Crossing on Campus
    • A Corn Field: No Distractions but Gophers!
  2. 2. How will location factor into your final decision?

• Where do I want to live for the next 6 years? Heck yeah, it's my main consideration!
    • It's a major factor.
    • Equal parts location, program fit, $$$, etc.
    • Not a major factor.
    • I just mapquest the program whenever I have to move there.

Although there are of course many exceptions, a pretty common split amongst programs in the US is whether they are located in an urban vs. non-urban setting. Of course, this latter category could any range of rural, small-town, college-town, small-city sorts of places, but in my mind, at least, these all have a lot of differences when compared with the typical big-city campus, whether in Boston or Chicago, LA or Atlanta, Toronto or Philly. Cost of living, nearby museums and archives, travel accessibility, diversity, etc. etc. etc.

For those who are facing tough geographic choices in their final grad school decisions, how will location play into your considerations?

I'll admit, I have--or hope that I might have--just this sort of decision on my hands. Since high school, I always had my heart set on living in a big city (preferably Chicago), and after attending college in a smallish city, I turned my attention back to programs in major urban/cultural centers. Excitingly enough, I have a pretty decent chance of getting accepted to a program either in Boston or Chicago. Perfect, right?

However, my back-up plan, usually reemerging in the middle of winter when I'm angsty from the snow and sick of busy traffic and sidewalk congestion, is to move out west or down south and find a place in the woods/mountains/lakes/etc. Slow things down... have a sense of space... not kill myself trying to pay rent... Walden Pond, anyone?

So when I recently received a great admission offer from the University of Oregon (not exactly "country," I know), I find myself weighing what feels like a stark set of options. Do I go build an eco-cottage in the mountains outside of Eugene or find a cramped but hopefully cozy apartment in the big city?

What would you do?

Edited by ryanweb

Although there are of course many exceptions, a pretty common split amongst programs in the US is whether they are located in an urban vs. non-urban setting. Of course, this latter category could any range of rural, small-town, college-town, small-city sorts of places, but in my mind, at least, these all have a lot of differences when compared with the typical big-city campus, whether in Boston or Chicago, LA or Atlanta, Toronto or Philly. Cost of living, nearby museums and archives, travel accessibility, diversity, etc. etc. etc.

For those who are facing tough geographic choices in their final grad school decisions, how will location play into your considerations?

I'll admit, I have--or hope that I might have--just this sort of decision on my hands. Since high school, I always had my heart set on living in a big city (preferably Chicago), and after attending college in a smallish city, I turned my attention back to programs in major urban/cultural centers. Excitingly enough, I have a pretty decent chance of getting accepted to a program either in Boston or Chicago. Perfect, right?

However, my back-up plan, usually reemerging in the middle of winter when I'm angsty from the snow and sick of busy traffic and sidewalk congestion, is to move out west or down south and find a place in the woods/mountains/lakes/etc. Slow things down... have a sense of space... not kill myself trying to pay rent... Walden Pond, anyone?

So when I recently received a great admission offer from the University of Oregon (not exactly "country," I know), I find myself weighing what feels like a stark set of options. Do I go build an eco-cottage in the mountains outside of Eugene or find a cramped but hopefully cozy apartment in the big city?

What would you do?

Well, I only applied to schools in Chicago. :D I was born there, actually, but moved away when I was six. I'm going back to my roots!

To me, the windy city is just beautiful. I can't wait to live by the lake and go for a jog down Lake Shore Dr. There always seems to be something to do, a park nearby, a festival going on. I also appreciate the cultural/racial/ethnic diversity that characterizes big cities.

I understand the draw of the mountains, too. After all, I did move to Colorado for four years for undergrad. I'm so lucky! But I miss living in a big city, and I'm ready for an adventure.

Here's the advice I'll give you that I got when trying to decide where to apply: do what you love in the most adventurous place you can do it. I'm proud to say that I listened to my gut and will be moving to Chicago once I get accepted. :) Good luck with your decision!

I am personally excited to have an offer from Boston although I did not particularly want to be right in a big city... I have grown up in the middle of nowhere and went to a college in nothing but college country and mountains. My anxiety about living in the city is immense but I also find the prospect exciting. I applied to 3 programs in the city and three in the country. Other than Boston I have one decision from a school in the country still pending. It is ridiculously different for money but my fiancee (after some anxiety about crime that I completly share) is pumped about the city. My question for myself if I am accepted is wether cost of living should make this decision. I re-examined the program I'm waiting on and still like both programs for different reasons and cost of both seems to be the main difference. I'm not sure what is the deciding factor, an awesome location but high cost of living or more of the location I'm comfortable with and less money spent...

I am personally excited to have an offer from Boston although I did not particularly want to be right in a big city... I have grown up in the middle of nowhere and went to a college in nothing but college country and mountains. My anxiety about living in the city is immense but I also find the prospect exciting. I applied to 3 programs in the city and three in the country. Other than Boston I have one decision from a school in the country still pending. It is ridiculously different for money but my fiancee (after some anxiety about crime that I completly share) is pumped about the city. My question for myself if I am accepted is wether cost of living should make this decision. I re-examined the program I'm waiting on and still like both programs for different reasons and cost of both seems to be the main difference. I'm not sure what is the deciding factor, an awesome location but high cost of living or more of the location I'm comfortable with and less money spent...

Well, I can't say the cost of living isn't fairly pricey here, but I can say that Boston is a great city, and really not that "large". It's not a long drive to all sorts of outdoor activities, and quiet places can be found much closer. Crime can happen anywhere, but if you're a reasonably aware person (don't stand around in crowded places with an open purse, don't walk through empty parks at night with your laptop, etc) and live in a decent area, I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck with whichever decision you make, and if you end up coming to Boston, I won't be here anymore, but feel free to PM/email me for housing, etc. advice. :-)

Well, I can't say the cost of living isn't fairly pricey here, but I can say that Boston is a great city, and really not that "large". It's not a long drive to all sorts of outdoor activities, and quiet places can be found much closer. Crime can happen anywhere, but if you're a reasonably aware person (don't stand around in crowded places with an open purse, don't walk through empty parks at night with your laptop, etc) and live in a decent area, I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck with whichever decision you make, and if you end up coming to Boston, I won't be here anymore, but feel free to PM/email me for housing, etc. advice. :-)

Thanks for the offer of advice. I've been looking up info like crazy and it does seem fairly safe if you're aware and the cultural opportunities are a major draw. I am going to school for MFA film studies and the large amount of film festivals and film culture in the city is a big plus for me. I would love to volunteer to my time to help at one or gain an internship. However, when I say I've only lived in the country I mean like grew up in a cornfield and now live in a safe little pocket of colleges... it's intimidating but I think it's what I want.

Heh, I've been to Boston only once and I totally loved it! Unfortunately I ended up not applying to programs there, but Boston is amazing.

I was born in a big city, although not in the USA. I am doing my undergrad in middle-of-nowhere selective liberal arts college-land, which I hate and love for different reasons. But I am moving in a city after graduating (although anything would be more of a city than where my undergrad was lol-- it's not even a college town, it's a college campus). But yeah, crime freaks me out too. One of the main reasons I actually love my small college is the lack of crime - almost no crime, and anyway no hard-core crime anyway (mainly petty theft). But I will take the chance. :)