NDSEG fellowship

BG7

Yeah, I thought so too. I don't know why I'm so anxiously awaiting what is almost certain to be a rejection.

Because you need to know what you're getting drunk to this evening. Could either be a celebration or a drowning of the sorrows. It's no fun getting drunk while in limbo.

I wish they would just write one word in the confirmation letters. I hate searching for "regret."

See the double meaning there. Searching for regret.

"Dear Mr. XXxxxXXX

On behalf of the the National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship Committee we would like to congratulate you on being awarded the 2011 NDSEG fellowship in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering. The Department of Defense (DoD) is committed to increasing the number and quality of our nation's scientists and engineers, and towards this end, has awarded approximately 3,200 NDSEG fellowships since the program's inception 22 years ago. We are proud to have you as one of our nation's scientists. The NDSEG Fellowship is sponsored by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research(AFOSR), the Army Research Office (ARO), the High Performance Computing Modernization Program (HPCM), and the Office of Naval Research (ONR), under the direction of the Director of Defense Research and Engineering (DDR&E). We would further like to extend our humblest request that you do all within your power to take pity on those who were unfortunate enough not to receive one of our awards. We ask that you share a bit of your awesomeness amongst them, so that they may remain on the true path of scientific virtue. Unlike past years, where an individual recipient receives a single award, we have decided to make an exception. Due to your amazing intellectual prowess, boyish charm, and quite frankly, blindingly handsome physique, we have opt to award you 100% of the available funding in your field of specialization. Stay awesome Mr. XXxxxxXXx - you will receive your hooker limousine party shorty."

Edited by andrealphus

"Dear Mr. XXxxxXXX

On behalf of the the National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship Committee we would like to congratulate you on being awarded the 2011 NDSEG fellowship in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering. The Department of Defense (DoD) is committed to increasing the number and quality of our nation's scientists and engineers, and towards this end, has awarded approximately 3,200 NDSEG fellowships since the program's inception 22 years ago. We are proud to have you as one of our nation's scientists. The NDSEG Fellowship is sponsored by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research(AFOSR), the Army Research Office (ARO), the High Performance Computing Modernization Program (HPCM), and the Office of Naval Research (ONR), under the direction of the Director of Defense Research and Engineering (DDR&E). We would further like to extend our humblest request that you do all within your power to take pity on those who were unfortunate enough not to receive one of our awards. We ask that you share a bit of your awesomeness amongst them, so that they may remain on the true path of scientific virtue. Unlike past years, where an individual recipient receives a single award, we have decided to make an exception. Due to your amazing intellectual prowess, boyish charm, and quite frankly, blindingly handsome physique, we have opt to award you 100% of the available funding in your field of specialization. Stay awesome Mr. XXxxxxXXx - you will receive your hooker limousine party shorty."

Not funny, man.

"Dear Mr. XXxxxXXX

On behalf of the the National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship Committee we would like to congratulate you on being awarded the 2011 NDSEG fellowship in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering. The Department of Defense (DoD) is committed to increasing the number and quality of our nation's scientists and engineers, and towards this end, has awarded approximately 3,200 NDSEG fellowships since the program's inception 22 years ago. We are proud to have you as one of our nation's scientists. The NDSEG Fellowship is sponsored by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research(AFOSR), the Army Research Office (ARO), the High Performance Computing Modernization Program (HPCM), and the Office of Naval Research (ONR), under the direction of the Director of Defense Research and Engineering (DDR&E). We would further like to our extend our humblest request that you do all within your power to take pity on those who were unfortunate enough not to receive one of our awards. We ask that you share a bit of your awesomeness amongst them, so that they may remain on the true path of scientific virtue. Unlike past years, where an individual recipient receives a single award, we have decided to make an exception. Due to your amazing intellectual prowess, boyish charm, and quite frankly, blindingly handsome physique, we have opt to award you 100% of the available funding in your field of specialization. Stay awesome Mr. XXxxxxXXx - you will receive your hooker limousine party shorty."

Hey, that's the e-mail I got too! But in mine the promised me gorgeous women as well.

Edited by Kriegsspiele

I believe you mean, congratulations......

(I'm sitting at my desk downing pots of coffee, I definitely cant read the papers in front of me in this state)

Plus I have to at least pretend.....I bet I never even made it past the initial "google that dude's name" criteria ..... ;(

Edited by andrealphus

Yeah being 11:00 here and having a long day, I think I might call it and get to bed early for once. Sigh, silly indeed. Though with the GRFP I got the e-mail at some godforsaken hour of the morning, like 2 am or something (my time), 8pm or so ET.

I'm not 100% convinced something has to be sent out during working hours, since a computer's got to be the one sending out notifications - it could be an entirely automated process of Get List -> Sort By Decision -> Create Emails -> Send Emails. So...I'm not giving up on today until it's midnight, haha.

Well. This was awfully anti-climactic...

Agreed. Although, I did find out I was offered a GTA position yesterday, and was contacted by a professor offering me a research assistantship today, so at least I had that going for me. It would be nice to find out about the NDSEG, though...certainly would make some decisions easier.