To put things in perspective...

pinot noir

So, as we're approaching the end of March I have yet to hear from two schools I've applied to, but just to put things into perspective: I was offered admission to both my top school and my safety school. So far that's it. It just goes to show that it's all a numbers game and an acceptance or rejection is not a determinant of your character, but rather a matter of fit. I hope this cheers someone up. It still stung a little to get rejected by local city school after local dream school said yes. These things are weird and baffling... :)

So, as we're approaching the end of March I have yet to hear from two schools I've applied to, but just to put things into perspective: I was offered admission to both my top school and my safety school. So far that's it. It just goes to show that it's all a numbers game and an acceptance or rejection is not a determinant of your character, but rather a matter of fit. I hope this cheers someone up. It still stung a little to get rejected by local city school after local dream school said yes. These things are weird and baffling... :)

Yes, you're totally right.It is a matter if fit.

I got rejected from where I once thought was my dream school. It made me feel very sore at first, but then when I came to think of it, I believe I wasn't a good fit for the program anyway, and I think this was the main reason they rejected me. Very few faculty members had research interests related to mine, and even distantly related. I chose that school basically because of its "prestige" and good location, but I think I'll be much happier when I get accepted into another school where a lot of people will be willing to work with me and have me in their labs.

Congrats on being accepted in your top school and good luck!

Yes, you're totally right.It is a matter if fit.

I got rejected from where I once thought was my dream school. It made me feel very sore at first, but then when I came to think of it, I believe I wasn't a good fit for the program anyway, and I think this was the main reason they rejected me. Very few faculty members had research interests related to mine, and even distantly related. I chose that school basically because of its "prestige" and good location, but I think I'll be much happier when I get accepted into another school where a lot of people will be willing to work with me and have me in their labs.

Congrats on being accepted in your top school and good luck!

For me it was a little opposite. I had dream school (ivy league), but in reality I wanted to go to local city college. They rejected me and now I'm stuck with school that was originally my top choice, but seemed rather intimidating and unreal. Originally I thought that little school would be a better fit, but these things we must leave to the committee to decide... We can only apply. They decide the fit and I'm happy now. Either way it's going to be an experience to remember for sure! rolleyes.gif

Edited by pinot noir

For me it was a little opposite. I had dream school (ivy league), but in reality I wanted to go to local city college. They rejected me and now I'm stuck with school that was originally my top choice, but seemed rather intimidating and unreal. Originally I thought that little school would be a better fit, but these things we must leave to the committee to decide... We can only apply. They decide the fit and I'm happy now. Either way it's going to be an experience to remember for sure! rolleyes.gif

And it's funny. As I was looking at forum topics I noticed for each topic, the number of views far exceeds the number of replies. Just think of how many applications they have to read or how many jobs you have to apply to just to get one smile.gif

And it's funny. As I was looking at forum topics I noticed for each topic, the number of views far exceeds the number of replies. Just think of how many applications they have to read or how many jobs you have to apply to just to get one smile.gif

Well if it helps, before I entered my current program I was rejected from Hunter too, and I got into Harvard. hmmmm..... But you are right, it is all a numbers game in some weird way. I have been looking at schools in the UK and I love how upfront they are about who they are after. One school listed scholarships for PhD programs that said people who have research interests in XXX and XXX should apply. I love it!

But oh well... Good luck at Columbia or wherever life may take you. Right now, I am starting a list of my Plan B's including jobs and a school that gave me money. But if anything this process has told me that there is no sure thing. It is an audition process that is largely out of our control.

Well if it helps, before I entered my current program I was rejected from Hunter too, and I got into Harvard. hmmmm..... But you are right, it is all a numbers game in some weird way. I have been looking at schools in the UK and I love how upfront they are about who they are after. One school listed scholarships for PhD programs that said people who have research interests in XXX and XXX should apply. I love it!

But oh well... Good luck at Columbia or wherever life may take you. Right now, I am starting a list of my Plan B's including jobs and a school that gave me money. But if anything this process has told me that there is no sure thing. It is an audition process that is largely out of our control.

Yes, I could not agree more. It's kind of like love: you can't help who you fall for, but you can't make them love you back... this whole process has been such a learning and humbling experience and I know that no matter what I will grow as a person. I love having this forum to talk to others who are going through the same thing. rolleyes.gif