Asked to make an early decision

theflash7269

Ok so here is a brief history of my situation. Today I was accepted to my 3rd program at School A. I really wasn't all too enthusiastic about this specific school until I visited a few weeks ago for their open house weekend and now am really excited about the offer. The other two schools I have been accepted to aren't too high on my list but I still have yet to visit one of them, School B.

The tricky thing is, School A needs a decision by March 31st, however, I won't be visiting School B until the weekend after. One of my big concerns is that after visiting School A, a school that I wasn't really considering until after the visit, I know just how important these visitation weekends can be. Also, I have already had the school book my flights and travel accommodations. To add more madness, I have yet to hear back from 3 schools. Now, I am not too fussed about two of those schools however, I was wait listed at the third, School C. I was told by School C that I can expect to hear back from them "early April", of course taken with a grain of salt.

As of now, even probably with visiting School B, School C is the only school on my list that I would choose over School A. I already asked my POI at School A if it would be possible to have an extension until April 15th, and I explained that I would make a final decision as soon as I heard back from the last of my schools, (mainly School C, although I didn't tell them the specific school). However, he told me that there was nothing he could do about the deadline and that it was department policy so that they could accept another student if I turn them down.

I understand the whole April 15th CGS agreement and I also understand their logic behind wanting an early decision, however, I really do not want to make a final decision until I have the final verdict from School C and have visited School B (just in case). I also don't want to keep nagging School A about wanting to hear back from all my schools as I am afraid I will come off a bit entitled or something. Both School A and School C are ranked next to each other so I don't know if it would be ok for me to contact School C and politely let them know about my other offer and the deadline (??) to perhaps speed things up a bit, but I know things can be very unpredictable when it comes to wait lists and I don't want to annoy them either.

Any advice on what to do from here on out would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone have an input? I'm kinda desperate here haha

I actually had this problem--they were asking for a March 31 decision but I wasn't scheduled to visit my School C until April 2. I called and asked for a 1-week extension, saying this would still give them 8 days until April 15. Luckily they were nice and accepted.

I sent my decision on April 4.

I am considering contacting the graduate coordinator about a week extension so I can at least visit school B. I'm just worried that I still wouldn't have heard from the wait list at School C and essentially be stuck in the same situation but without the option for asking for an extension....ughh

I am considering contacting the graduate coordinator about a week extension so I can at least visit school B. I'm just worried that I still wouldn't have heard from the wait list at School C and essentially be stuck in the same situation but without the option for asking for an extension....ughh

Eek... now, I'm not studying your field, so perhaps there are different expectations. However, you should not be forced to make a decision before April 15, thanks to some combination of this resolution (http://www.cgsnet.org/Default.aspx?tabid=201) and general courtesy. Ask the schools pressuring you about the April 15 Resolution by the Council of Graduate Schools - even if they didn't sign on, ask if they would please respect it! Good luck! :)