Do professors suggest schools based on how strong they think you are relative to others?

Or do they suggest the same top schools to everyone?

A lot of my professors suggest schools like Berkeley and Caltech to me. I'm not sure if they do that to everyone, or if they do it to me since they truly think I'm that exceptional compared to the rest of my class. My program is one of the top-ranked programs in the nation although most undergrads in it aren't very bright.

Edited by InquilineKea

• 4 weeks later...

I think it partly depends on how you worded your question. If you asked for top programs, that's one thing; if you asked for recommendations of programs, then I would think that they're giving you program recommendations based on fit and potential to get in.

I imagine some profs give everyone the top list and others suggest schools that are a better match for the particular student who is consulting with them. It also depends on what you asked for, exactly. If you want to know what your professors meant when you talked to them, ask them about your chances at each of those schools and how well they think those schools match your interests. It'd be so much easier and more reliable than us speculating on the forum.

• 1 month later...

I specifically talked with professors about my chances at different schools etc. I actually didn't consider grad school until one assistant proffesor told me I should be studying at one of the top schools. My professors were all pretty honest about it.

I had a not dissimilar experience and spent so many months fretting about it that I ended up delaying grad school a year at least (monumentally silly). I frankly couldn't believe that I could get into the tip-top programmes that my tutors were recommending - but what would be their motivation for misleading you? They are not going to want to write a stack of references for hopeless cases. Take the compliment and start looking into the application process - there's a lot of leg-work to be done

When I was beginning the process, I asked my mentors which schools/advisors I should be applying to and all three named top-10 programs or professors at them. I was skeptical at first as well. I also thought that my chances of getting into a place like that were slim especially being a non-trad from a large public university. However, I bit the bullet and applied to those programs. It worked out well for me as I'm now on my way to New Haven. When I told my mentors I'd gotten accepted to Yale, they said they weren't surprised.

Like cheshirequeen said, go back and ask them, "What do you think my chances are of getting into <top program>?" They have no reason to lie to you especially if they know they'll be writing your letters. Get over the self-doubt. After all, you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

• 3 months later...

When I first approached my professors about grad school and asked them to recommend programs for me, I said something to the effect of: "What schools might you suggest that would be a good fit but would also be realistic?" I had a friend apply to about 10 top-20 programs in English last year and got into one at the eleventh hour off the waitlist. I didn't want to be put in the same situation. However, my most trusted professor responded by telling me to apply to "at least 2, if not 3 or 4" Ivies and not to apply to anything outside the top 25 or so unless they were a spectacular fit AND had good funding/job placement. Needless to say, if you look in my signature, you won't find anything outside the top 25. I know it'll be stiff competition and there's a chance I won't get in anywhere this year. However, I also know that I have a chance. They wouldn't be encouraging me to go to grad school in the first place if I didn't.

Here's the thing that really boosted my confidence, though. I haven't taken a class with my adviser since freshman year. I was incredibly shy at that point in my academic career, and I was having a hard time adjusting to college. I got the lowest grade of my major in her class, and haven't been super close to her since. I was really scared to talk to her about grad school because I thought she'd think I was crazy. However, when I finally got around to e-mailing her about it, she responded that she thought I'd be a great candidate for grad school and was willing to help me with whatever questions I needed answered. She also offered me the coveted department assistant position.

I love going to a small school where my profs talk about me. ^_^ But seriously, at least from my experience professors don't suggest grad school unless they have a reason to. That might not always be the case (and I have heard evidence to the contrary), but especially with the job market the way it is (I'm speaking for the humanities, but I know it's problematic elsewhere, as well), if your recommenders think you're good enough to get into a top program, you might as well try. Take that with a grain of salt, however. You are ultimately the one responsible for getting in. My friend looked fabulous on paper but waited until the week before the deadline to put together her writing sample and SoP. Your profs can't do that part for you. You have to get your own butt in gear!

I had thought about attending grad school before but wasn't really serious about it, and then a few of my professors actually started sending me info about various programs. This was before I even was sure I would apply. Of course, like a lot of people on this forum, they suggested a few programs in the top 25 that actually are good fits and then a few more within the top 50. Even when I told them my estimated score on the GRE was lower than I expected (not the 1450+ I was hoping for, it still is good though) they simply said you can't be perfect at everything, and asked if I had decided on where I am going to apply. I have been blessed to have people who are both interested not only me as a student but me as a person and I think this has helped me so much in this process.