ESA 2011

awvish

I've been thinking about going to the ESA in Austin this August, but am not really sure if it's a productive thing to do (I'll be a first-year grad student this fall). I know I'd have a blast, but because I haven't matriculated yet, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get funding to help with registration fees and lodging.

Is anyone else in this situation? Would it be too weird to ask my advisor if she's going and if I can tag along? Or does anyone know of housing cheaper than a hotel?

you don't need to pay for registration- you can volunteer there and ESA will waive it. In any case, I don't think it's worth it to pay- you'll have plenty of chances to go with expenses paid in grad school, unless if you are planning to present or weren't accepted to grad school this year and need an opportunity to network.

• 3 weeks later...

For cheap housing, check out the dorms! Just because you haven't formally started grad school doesn't mean you shouldn't attend ESA. You really don't get a better chance to network like you do at ESA. It wouldn't hurt asking your advisor to go either (and apply for the ESA student section travel grants too). As young graduate students, I think the more conferences (in particular the big ones), the better we get to know our research field. I've learned quite a bit from attending ESA these past two years and have met some amazing people in the process. If you have the chance to go, do it.

P.S. I had friends work the conference to get the registration fee waived- they seemed to have enjoyed it. Also... I know there is a huge contingent from UMich that attends (former grad students + current).

Edited by kogia.breviceps

I've been thinking about going to the ESA in Austin this August, but am not really sure if it's a productive thing to do (I'll be a first-year grad student this fall). I know I'd have a blast, but because I haven't matriculated yet, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get funding to help with registration fees and lodging.

Is anyone else in this situation? Would it be too weird to ask my advisor if she's going and if I can tag along? Or does anyone know of housing cheaper than a hotel?

Edited by yeahyeah

• 1 month later...

Despite my previous advice, I'm planning to attend if my poster is accepted. The thing is, I'll only be there for 1.5 days (from Thurs mid morning on). I don't know if I'll be able to fit 14 hours of volunteering into that timeframe. Any idea how competitve the student section travel grants are? I don't know if I want to pay the fees if I don't have a chance.