How much does Phi Beta Kappa matter?

psych-maybe

How do graduate programs in psychology use GPA as a measure of intellectual capacity? How do they account for differences between undergrad institutions (i.e. if one is higher ranked or more rigorous than another)? And finally, does PBK matter? I imagine it would be a nice feather in the cap, especially if one is going into academia, but for purposes of grad school admissions.. Does PBK matter? I've got at least 3-5 more years to go before applying, but I'm already nervous about how my current performance as an undergrad will affect my chances of getting into top programs that will pay for me. Just something else to fixate on when I really ought to be focusing on my upcoming biopsych exam, hah. :unsure:

How do graduate programs in psychology use GPA as a measure of intellectual capacity? How do they account for differences between undergrad institutions (i.e. if one is higher ranked or more rigorous than another)? And finally, does PBK matter? I imagine it would be a nice feather in the cap, especially if one is going into academia, but for purposes of grad school admissions.. Does PBK matter? I've got at least 3-5 more years to go before applying, but I'm already nervous about how my current performance as an undergrad will affect my chances of getting into top programs that will pay for me. Just something else to fixate on when I really ought to be focusing on my upcoming biopsych exam, hah. :unsure:

Don't worry about it! Just do your best with what remaining coursework you have and be proud of it. Would you believe that the average GPA of admitted applicants to Harvard University is slightly lower than the average GPA of rejected applicants? I received three C's, one C-, and one C+ when I was an undergrad, and yet I received an offer from a program with an excellent reputation in the area in which I would like to work. Of course, I didn't make PBK, but lots of successful applicants don't either.

That's not to discount the importance of GPA. GPA, like GRE scores, does provide a relatively objective basis for comparing applicants. So as I said, just do your best. Even if you fall short of some arbitrary standard, no one can say that you didn't try as hard as you could. Needless to say, convert the impulse to criticize yourself (or compare yourself to others) into positive action.

I agree with much of what HyancinthMacaw said.

I was in about 6 honors societies as an undergrad and it was most likely a complete waste of money. No graduate school professor cared and some schools didn't even ask for that information. Looking back I wish I would have saved my money, I just wanted to join them because I never joined any honors societies in high school.

Don't worry about it! Just do your best with what remaining coursework you have and be proud of it. Would you believe that the average GPA of admitted applicants to Harvard University is slightly lower than the average GPA of rejected applicants? I received three C's, one C-, and one C+ when I was an undergrad, and yet I received an offer from a program with an excellent reputation in the area in which I would like to work. Of course, I didn't make PBK, but lots of successful applicants don't either.

That's not to discount the importance of GPA. GPA, like GRE scores, does provide a relatively objective basis for comparing applicants. So as I said, just do your best. Even if you fall short of some arbitrary standard, no one can say that you didn't try as hard as you could. Needless to say, convert the impulse to criticize yourself (or compare yourself to others) into positive action.

In the scheme of life, it doesn't really matter. All you get is stuffy, "we're better than everyone else" newsletters and journals. My dad is a PBK, and we just laugh together about the ridiculousness of the society. Just because you have 3 letters by your name (PBK, PhD, etc) doesn't make you necessarily a better person or line you up for a career. Programs look at overall potential, and honor societies, while they might fill out a resume, don't necessarily become an end-all, be-all for admission to top programs. I know many friends that have gotten into Top 20 programs in many fields without PBK, but they may have been in Mortar Board (which I joined) or nothing at all.

To be honest, as a prospective psychology major, the most they would probably ever want to see is Psi Chi on your CV. It shows that you are and have been committed to the field outside of going to classes.

There's something to be said for some extracurricular involvement that shows you care about psychology as a career and as a profession. But I suspect its overall impact would be very, very small. It's better to avoid that stuff altogether than to have it impact other areas (grades, research, writing).

...If I saw somebody put PBK after their name with their degrees, I would think they are pretentious.

One way they account for differences between undergrad institutions is to use GRE performance (and Psych GRE performance) as a way of anchoring divergent evaluation standards between schools.

I graduated at the top of my class from a top university and PBK never came up in interviews.

One way they account for differences between undergrad institutions is to use GRE performance (and Psych GRE performance) as a way of anchoring divergent evaluation standards between schools.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, guys. I guess I'd figured it was important because people sometimes mention it in their academic histories, even if they're short histories.

Would you believe that the average GPA of admitted applicants to Harvard University is slightly lower than the average GPA of rejected applicants?

That's crazy! Definitely something to think about..

Edited by psych-maybe

my grades were quite mediocure (3.45 overall), even my psych gpa wasn't perfect. but I make up for it with quality research experience and a really high GRE.

you just have to be what they are looking for. meaning, your experience should tell them if you are fit for college, just be you, you can't lie to them because then you won't like it at all.

basically, if getting the credentials necessary for grad school isn't enjoyable for you, then the 4-6 years of grad school will not be enjoyable for you.

don't try to get the credentials just to get in a grad school. its a little abstract but hope this make some sense. lets put it this way, none of the things I did as an undergrad (well minus studying for GRE) I wouldn't have done if I wasn't applying for grad school.

if you constantly find yourself doing things because "it will make me a competitive applicant", rather than "I really enjoy this", then you might want to rethink grad school.

went a little off topic, but bottom line is this. Do the things your curious about, and if in the end, you find yourself thinking, "I'm a pretty good applicant for grad school", then apply.

Edited by donnyz89