Ahhh! Deadline dilemma

I re-posted my question in another forum, but I think this one is a better niche for it. Here goes!

So here's my painstaking dilemma:

I applied to the PhD program at Columbia's GSAS. Subsequently rejected, I asked to be considered for their MA program. I also applied to Columbia's Teachers College's MA program in a similar field: political science. I received my acceptance from Teachers College, but my heart is with the Columbia GSAS program because of fit and desired faculty. The catch is: I have to respond to TC by April 18th, and GSAS won't issue notifications until mid-April to June! My question is this:

I really like the TC program...just not as much as the one at GSAS. Because these programs are virtually at the same institution, is it bad taste to accept the TC offer and then rescind pending a GSAS acceptance? Or can I ask TC for an extension on their deadline? I don't want to "leave a bad taste" because these two programs seem to be interlocked. Any advice? Thoughts? It's greatly appreciated!

I would recommend that you go ahead and accept TC's offer and then if/ when you get accepted to Columbia, you can go ahead and just let TC know that you will be attending Columbia when the time arises; I highly doubt they'll be offended bc I'm sure this kind of stuff happens al the time. Yeah you would lose the $300 deposit but it's worth it in the grand scheme of things. It's better to be confirmed somewhere than to be in a tough situation later.

I re-posted my question in another forum, but I think this one is a better niche for it. Here goes!

So here's my painstaking dilemma:

I applied to the PhD program at Columbia's GSAS. Subsequently rejected, I asked to be considered for their MA program. I also applied to Columbia's Teachers College's MA program in a similar field: political science. I received my acceptance from Teachers College, but my heart is with the Columbia GSAS program because of fit and desired faculty. The catch is: I have to respond to TC by April 18th, and GSAS won't issue notifications until mid-April to June! My question is this:

I really like the TC program...just not as much as the one at GSAS. Because these programs are virtually at the same institution, is it bad taste to accept the TC offer and then rescind pending a GSAS acceptance? Or can I ask TC for an extension on their deadline? I don't want to "leave a bad taste" because these two programs seem to be interlocked. Any advice? Thoughts? It's greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. I am under the impression that bowing out after placing a deposit was highly looked down upon / runs the risk of potentially important burning bridges, particularly if one was interested in becoming a professor. However, this is just hearsay from various sources... any wisdom from experience out there?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use