SUNY Stony Brook

adebar

Today I noticed that I've been accepted for the Master's program. smile.gif

This offer does not include financial support for you in your first Fall 2011. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to ensure that you have applied for any other assistance such as College Work-Study, Student Loans, etc., for which you might be eligible.

I wonder if anyone else was offered financial support of any kind: tuition waver, scholarship/grant, RA, TA?

Cheers,

M

Edited by adebar

Today I noticed that I've been accepted for the Master's program. smile.gif

I wonder if anyone else was offered financial support of any kind: tuition waver, scholarship/grant, RA, TA?

Cheers,

M

I also got admitted to the Master's program at Stony Brook and visited a few days ago. I asked this same question at the meet and was told that they do not usually give financial aid to the Master's students; it's possible that a professor would fund your research after matriculation but not likely. The reason for this is that a MS student doesn't have enough time to produce a significant amount of research and there are 200+ other students in the Master's program competing for attention from faculty.

I also got admitted to the Master's program at Stony Brook and visited a few days ago. I asked this same question at the meet and was told that they do not usually give financial aid to the Master's students; it's possible that a professor would fund your research after matriculation but not likely. The reason for this is that a MS student doesn't have enough time to produce a significant amount of research and there are 200+ other students in the Master's program competing for attention from faculty.

Thank's for your answer. For me, the way they emphasized this in the text on the homepage, it seemed as if funding was a rather regular thing and I just did not get any.

Thank you for the clarification!

Wow. I would have never imagined 200+ students in the masters program, definitely a good tidbit to know. Any idea if that is total in the program or number admitted per year?

I'm pretty sure it's the total in the program.

Well actually...

There are only technically 2 years to the masters program. Last year, with my incoming class of 30 Phd's, there were 150 masters, I believe. You get PhD's get treated with a lot more respect than the masters, though.