UC Santa Barbara vs. Ga Tech (Materials Science PhD)

blank

I think I've narrowed my decision down to UCSB and Ga Tech, but it's really difficult to choose between to two. Any thoughts on the schools/cities/cultures/etc???? I currently go to Johns Hopkins so I'm used to a city, although I grew up in the suburbs (but have been much more influenced by living in Baltimore the last few years). Both schools have interesting research/faculty, and I feel like I could go to either. Help!

I think I've narrowed my decision down to UCSB and Ga Tech, but it's really difficult to choose between to two. Any thoughts on the schools/cities/cultures/etc???? I currently go to Johns Hopkins so I'm used to a city, although I grew up in the suburbs (but have been much more influenced by living in Baltimore the last few years). Both schools have interesting research/faculty, and I feel like I could go to either. Help!

You should visit both schools and compare and contrast funding offers. laugh.gif

that's some good trollin' guys

No but seriously.. I highly suggest you dedicate some time to visit both places. Reputation-wise (in terms of engineering, not sure about the MS field) GA Tech is more known than UCSB. Location-wise UCSB is heaven on earth. What about the funding offers? Keep in mind SB is more expensive than Atlanta. Either way, a full comparison would not be complete if you did not see the campuses yourself.

Don't make up some excuse not to visit.. You are going to spend years living in the area (and living with the decision of doing so. If you don't have money then borrow some.

I think Gatech would be a better choice.

They have a relative large and broader program in MSE, and the reputation of engineering at Gatech is way better than UCSB.

I don't think materials at UCSB is as good as the ranking show us. They took the advantage in ranking by counting several non-MSE faculties into the department including 2 Nobel laureates

No but seriously.. I highly suggest you dedicate some time to visit both places. Reputation-wise (in terms of engineering, not sure about the MS field) GA Tech is more known than UCSB. Location-wise UCSB is heaven on earth. What about the funding offers? Keep in mind SB is more expensive than Atlanta. Either way, a full comparison would not be complete if you did not see the campuses yourself.

Don't make up some excuse not to visit.. You are going to spend years living in the area (and living with the decision of doing so. If you don't have money then borrow some.

No that's the thing, after visiting I like them both for different reasons. City vs. Suburb, seasons vs. amazing weather, west vs. south, etc......

(Same stipend amounts)

No that's the thing, after visiting I like them both for different reasons. City vs. Suburb, seasons vs. amazing weather, west vs. south, etc......

(Same stipend amounts)

I would go with Ga Tech then. You can always move to CA for work after getting a PhD.

I would go with Ga Tech then. You can always move to CA for work after getting a PhD.

How important is quality of life? I got the impression that the grad students were happier at UCSB, but the potential for growth in Ga Tech's program is immense since they just merged (although both are pretty prestigious within materials science).

The eventual goal is european post-doc and then professorship -- is Ga Tech really more industry oriented?

How important is quality of life? I got the impression that the grad students were happier at UCSB, but the potential for growth in Ga Tech's program is immense since they just merged (although both are pretty prestigious within materials science).

The eventual goal is european post-doc and then professorship -- is Ga Tech really more industry oriented?

From a shallow point of view, a GA tech degree would take you anywhere in the world. Statistically speaking, it is much easier to graduate from GA tech and work in UCSB than the opposite. Also, you will get out of it with well known connections. UCSB students might be happier because of the location and/or the lesser competition. Let's be honest, if it were about happiness/social life you wouldn't have applied to PhD to begin with. In the end it is all about how you feel towards these schools, you could go for UCSB and end up being miserable and vice versa is true.

From a shallow point of view, a GA tech degree would take you anywhere in the world. Statistically speaking, it is much easier to graduate from GA tech and work in UCSB than the opposite. Also, you will get out of it with well known connections. UCSB students might be happier because of the location and/or the lesser competition. Let's be honest, if it were about happiness/social life you wouldn't have applied to PhD to begin with. In the end it is all about how you feel towards these schools, you could go for UCSB and end up being miserable and vice versa is true.

I mean, USNews is an opinion poll, so that means there is a higher opinion of the Materials program at UCSB. I feel like graduate programs at UCSB get a bad rep no matter how it's ranked because it's a party school for undergraduates and it's located in a beautiful area (jealousy?).

And I'm being honest, I'm very social and interested in being happy; I applied to PhD programs.

OP, both schools are obviously great for Materials Science, I truly think you'll have equal opportunities upon graduation. The biggest thing is cost of living vs. area.

Edited by stopcallinmesqrlboy

I mean, USNews is an opinion poll, so that means there is a higher opinion of the Materials program at UCSB. I feel like graduate programs at UCSB get a bad rep no matter how it's ranked because it's a party school for undergraduates and it's located in a beautiful area (jealousy?).

And I'm being honest, I'm very social and interested in being happy; I applied to PhD programs.

OP, both schools are obviously great for Materials Science, I truly think you'll have equal opportunities upon graduation. The biggest thing is cost of living vs. area.

I think you misunderstood my point, my appraisal for Georgia tech does not undermine my opinion about UCSB whatsoever. I think UCSB is an amazing school. However, as I previously mentioned "from a shallow point of view" and at least in the international scene outside the U.S. Georgia tech is more valued. In addition, the students/faculty at georgia tech are guaranteed to be more of high caliber (I am NOT saying or claiming that UCSB students/faculty are any less).

Take Nuclear engineering as an example, UMich is a well known school in that area even more so than MIT or Berkeley. What is the value of a UMich degree vs an MIT degree in engineering? UMich is an engineering behemoth and an excellent school. In Nuclear engineering it might outweigh MIT/Berkeley in terms of reputation/productivity but from a distant and shallow point of view an MIT degree would seem more valuable.

Anyway, as I stressed before GT and UCSB are great schools. Personally, I would prefer GT for many reasons primarily because I am an international student. My opinion and your opinion does not matter, it is what the OP feels about either school.

I think you misunderstood my point, my appraisal for Georgia tech does not undermine my opinion about UCSB whatsoever. I think UCSB is an amazing school. However, as I previously mentioned "from a shallow point of view" and at least in the international scene outside the U.S. Georgia tech is more valued. In addition, the students/faculty at georgia tech are guaranteed to be more of high caliber (I am NOT saying or claiming that UCSB students/faculty are any less).

Take Nuclear engineering as an example, UMich is a well known school in that area even more so than MIT or Berkeley. What is the value of a UMich degree vs an MIT degree in engineering? UMich is an engineering behemoth and an excellent school. In Nuclear engineering it might outweigh MIT/Berkeley in terms of reputation/productivity but from a distant and shallow point of view an MIT degree would seem more valuable.

Anyway, as I stressed before GT and UCSB are great schools. Personally, I would prefer GT for many reasons primarily because I am an international student. My opinion and your opinion does not matter, it is what the OP feels about either school.

Any top 10 program will have quality faculty and students.

Our opinions do matter, that's why the OP is asking for them.

Edited by stopcallinmesqrlboy