Northeastern vs UT Austin

Paws

Field of interest: Complex Networks, Nonlinear Dynamics.

I am an International student, headed to the USA for the first time in my life directly after my undergraduate studies.

I am not sure if I would want to remain in academia after PhD. I'm interested in the work by Center for Complex Networks Research (CCNR) at Northeastern, which is quite interdisciplinary. The center is headed by a "big" professor (which means research funding should not be an issue). I feel a PhD there will open up more options after graduate studies for a career in industry, while not hurting the possibility of continuing with research. UT Austin is ranked really high but the work in the nonlinear dynamics group seems to be more towards the academic side. The physics department at UT Austin is quite huge, and I dont really want to get stuck in a place where things are too impersonal and formal. I have been offered TA at both places and there is hardly anything to choose between both places when it comes only to the pay.

Another thing I am considering is the location: Boston vs Austin. Comparisons between weather, music scene (I'm more of a jazz music fan), sporting activities for fitness, diversity and an overall liberal outlook are things I'm looking for. Any suggestions, comments pertaining to the above would be extremely helpful

Cheers!

Paws

I know nothing about Physics but it sounds like you like the program at Northeastern better. I just graduated from UT-Austin last semester and I can tell you that it is definitely a research university, at least from what I have seen in other departments. If being able to find a job in an industry setting is important to you, the connections you can make at Northeastern might make that the better choice.

Boston and Austin are both great, liberal, lively cities. Boston is bigger and feels more European (probably because it is much older), while Austin can look and feel almost suburban when you leave the central area. That said, I love Austin and I'm sad that I will have to leave (UT rejected me for grad :( ). The weather is beautiful almost all year, even though it gets VERY hot in the summers. You might be concerned because it is in Texas, but I can assure you that Austin is as liberal as any city in the Northeast. There is tons of outdoorsy things to do (hiking, biking, swimming, etc) and the live music scene is great.

The weather in Boston will definitely be a little harsher in the winters, but you get to experience real seasons (Spring and Fall last about a week in Austin) and snow. Since Boston is a big city with a lot of universities, I doubt that you will ever have a problem with finding things to do. Plus, New York is only a bus ride away, should you ever get bored.

Basically, both cities are great places to live, so what your decision should come down to is which program do you like better? From what you have written it sounds like you are more into Northeastern.

Good luck with your decision!

I am an International student, headed to the USA for the first time in my life directly after my undergraduate studies.

I am not sure if I would want to remain in academia after PhD. I'm interested in the work by Center for Complex Networks Research (CCNR) at Northeastern, which is quite interdisciplinary. The center is headed by a "big" professor (which means research funding should not be an issue). I feel a PhD there will open up more options after graduate studies for a career in industry, while not hurting the possibility of continuing with research. UT Austin is ranked really high but the work in the nonlinear dynamics group seems to be more towards the academic side. The physics department at UT Austin is quite huge, and I dont really want to get stuck in a place where things are too impersonal and formal. I have been offered TA at both places and there is hardly anything to choose between both places when it comes only to the pay.

Another thing I am considering is the location: Boston vs Austin. Comparisons between weather, music scene (I'm more of a jazz music fan), sporting activities for fitness, diversity and an overall liberal outlook are things I'm looking for. Any suggestions, comments pertaining to the above would be extremely helpful

Cheers!

Paws

Cheers!

Paws

You should visit both schools and compare funding offers. unsure.gif