History of Medicine Programs

vanasme

I've finally decided that I'm going to get my masters in the history of medicine... now the question is WHERE to start looking!? I realize that Washington University in St. LouisĀ and all of the major Ivy league schools have a History of Medicine program, but can anyone help me locate other universities? I've been just checking every (I'm not joking here - I really don't know where to begin) university that has a masters in history and then seeing if they have a history in medicine program as well. Any chance that a list of programs exists? I know it's a shot in the dark, but I guess it can't help to ask, especially at this point.

ANY help is appreciated!

P.S. I'm interested in programs in the U.S. AND Canada

Does the program need to have the label "history of medicine" or would you be ok with a master's program that had a faculty member or two that did research in the history of medicine?

Here is the American Historical Association's list of (U.S.) doctoral programs in the History of Science, Medicine, and/or Technology. http://www.historians.org/projects/cge/ ... cience.htm This should narrow your search parameters a bit. Thence I would start visiting the sites for each school to see if they offer a terminal Master's degree.

Here is a link to a site listing all of the History programs in Canada by province, degree level, and field. It's not organized that well, but it should save you a lot of time if you intended to search individual schools one at a time. http://www.canadian-universities.net/Un ... story.html

Does the program need to have the label "history of medicine" or would you be ok with a master's program that had a faculty member or two that did research in the history of medicine?

I would prefer that the program had the label "history of medicine" because it generally means that there is more support for the the degree, but it doesn't HAVE to have the label.

Here is the American Historical Association's list of (U.S.) doctoral programs in the History of Science, Medicine, and/or Technology. http://www.historians.org/projects/cge/ ... cience.htm This should narrow your search parameters a bit. Thence I would start visiting the sites for each school to see if they offer a terminal Master's degree.

^I've seen this list before, but there are a lot more universities that offer a history of medicine program :( which is why my search is so difficult!

Here is a link to a site listing all of the History programs in Canada by province, degree level, and field. It's not organized that well, but it should save you a lot of time if you intended to search individual schools one at a time. http://www.canadian-universities.net/Un ... story.html

^Thanks for that - I've never seen it before!

In general, how difficult is it to be admitted into a masters program in history (history of medicine specifically). I'm not thinking of going to Yale or any other ivy league, I'm looking at middle tier programs. I know that the difficulty depends on the school I'm applying to, but in general, what are the statistics I'll need to have to be admitted somewhere? I currently have a 3.6 overall GPA and a 3.6 in my history classes. I feel that my writing sample is pretty strong (it makes use of a lot of primary sources) and I believe I can write a strong statement of intent/purpose/whatever else universities call it.

The problem is that since I decided so late in the game to look at graduate school (versus medical school) I really don't have any professors I feel comfortable asking for a letter of recommendation. I'm going to work on this as soon as classes start up in the fall so I'll at least have three professors to write letters of recommendation. I am concerned that the professors won't know me well enough to write anything other than a "formula" letter, but at this point I need to concentrate on finding professors that are willing to write me a letter of recommendation, anything is better than nothing.

Also, I've decided to graduate a year early (I'm finishing in my undergrad in three years versus four) for financial reasons. I'm going into considerable debt to finish my undergrad and since it's possible for me to finish in three years, it really doesn't make sense for me to pay for a fourth year. Is that at all going to hurt or work to my advantage when applying to masters programs? I'm assuming it won't make much of a difference, but I'm just not sure.

Thanks again for any help!

I don't think it will make a difference that you're graduating a year early, unless you address it in a personal statement to show how hard-working you are, etc. And in general, the best place to get the statistics are from the program websites themselves, although there usually is no magic number. I personally know very little about history of medicine programs, and what little I know is because it was the field of study of my undergrad advisor (Columbia, but I don't think they have an MA program for that). However, this:

I am concerned that the professors won't know me well enough to write anything other than a "formula" letter, but at this point I need to concentrate on finding professors that are willing to write me a letter of recommendation, anything is better than nothing

is a valid concern, but unfortunately, anything is truly not better than nothing. If in three years you don't have anyone, at least one person, who can write you better than a "formula" letter, you may run into a problem. I looked at your earlier thread and understand that you feel you only have this final year (well, not even a full year) to make an impression on your history professors --and you can do it in a year, if you work hard -- but don't be afraid to ask your advisor or your science professors for recommendations as well. They may not carry as much weight, but they can speak to whether you are capable of doing graduate-level work and what your background is. Also, you might email some of those history professors or talk to them and tell them your goals and see if they have any advice/encouragement. Just my two cents.

As I tell my students over and over (to little avail), use office hours! Stop in and ask questions. That's what the hours are there for. Let your professors know you are a dedicated student, and that you take every opportunity to learn. This will make you stand out as an undergrad. Hell, some of them might even remember your name after a while!

I looked at your earlier thread and understand that you feel you only have this final year (well, not even a full year) to make an impression on your history professors --and you can do it in a year, if you work hard -- but don't be afraid to ask your advisor or your science professors for recommendations as well. They may not carry as much weight, but they can speak to whether you are capable of doing graduate-level work and what your background is. Also, you might email some of those history professors or talk to them and tell them your goals and see if they have any advice/encouragement. Just my two cents.

I second this! I had only a year left to make impressions on professors...you can do it, work hard, show interest in the coursework in and outside of class, go to office hours, make appointments, even just to talk about your plans.

You would be surprised how excited many professors are to find a student who is as passionate about their research as they are...it can make all the difference when writing you a rec! Try finding a history professor who even has similar research interests/background as you--if you can that is also a big plus because they will be able to identify with your interests/situation and will be willing to work hard on your behalf.

I think that the important thing to remember is this: while many faculty entered into PhD work purely with the intention of doing research, just as many entered into the field with the intent of enlightening young minds. You would be surprised at how helpful a dean/professor etc... might be when you go to them and ask for help or show an interest in their work.

Don't despair! It may sound cheesy, but all things are possible if we are willing to take chances on ourselves. ^_^

I second this! I had only a year left to make impressions on professors...you can do it, work hard, show interest in the coursework in and outside of class, go to office hours, make appointments, even just to talk about your plans.

^ I wish I had a whole year :( I really only have until october because I need my applications in by November 1st (thats my personal goal). I'm planning on moving into their office... making myself very accessible haha. I don't really know what else to do, other than be an active member of their class... any other suggestions? Oh and if official deadlines are generally in January, is November 1st a good time to try to have all of my applications in? I've heard that I should ask for letters of recommendations MONTHS before I need them, but I don't have months :( If I ask by the 1st of October, is it realistic that they will have the letters in by November 1st?

Thanks for all the help.

^ I wish I had a whole year :( I really only have until october because I need my applications in by November 1st (thats my personal goal). I'm planning on moving into their office... making myself very accessible haha. I don't really know what else to do, other than be an active member of their class... any other suggestions? Oh and if official deadlines are generally in January, is November 1st a good time to try to have all of my applications in? I've heard that I should ask for letters of recommendations MONTHS before I need them, but I don't have months :( If I ask by the 1st of October, is it realistic that they will have the letters in by November 1st?

Thanks for all the help.

The time issue....depends...on the individual professor. I have a friend who applied for MFA CW programs at the last minute and literally asked for recs a week or two before the deadline. Now, hu's professors were accomodating...but some might outright refuse because of the time constraint, or agree to do it and not write a very good rec. Hu was unsuccessful in hu's acceptances to MFA programs, which could be for various reasons, but keep in mind that recs are a really important part of your application. Graduate committees weigh them very heavily as they prune their group of prospective students because they provide close, personal insight that aside from the personal statement, stats just cannot provide. With BARELY a semester left to make an impression, it might be a better idea to do what I did, the dreaded "wait a year and apply". (Which honestly, was not all that bad!)

I know it's not an ideal scenario, but I honestly think that it may be the best option. If you DO have the means to apply twice, maybe you would want to try it with what recs you can get, but continue to work hard and establish contacts during the Spring semester in possible anticipation of reapplying next year--depending upon what your results are.

It can be hard to get to know 3 professors so well in such a short period of time, and more importantly, get them to know you. I still think you can do it, but if this seems like way too much on your plate in a such short period of time, perhaps establishing better relationships over a longer bit of time and getting even some research experience with one of said professors the next year or summer--would be an even better idea.

I know that this probably doesn't help and sounds bleak, but as someone who had to do the same, but within the span of a year--I can only offer you advice from my own perspective/experiences.

This is comparing apples to orange but, my own experience was that I only had three months to meet, hopefully impress and ask for recommendations for a MA fellowship my first year. In one class, I wasn't even particularly active, but I went and told the professor why, and told him my goals, and why the fellowship was important, and I believe that those conversations carried over onto the letters just as much as my class performance. I had this sort of "who, what, why" conversation with all of my recommenders for the fellowship, and I had a similar dialogue when I asked my recommenders (for PhD applications) if they could write letters for me in October (they were all due in December) initially, then followed up and gave them all the information in November. How early you should ask really does depend on the professor - I had one who turned it around within 2 weeks, and another who actually submitted the letter late. I don't know that there is any particular benefit to having your applications in early - maybe there is, someone else can weigh in - if they have a set deadline rather than rolling admissions.

With BARELY a semester left to make an impression, it might be a better idea to do what I did, the dreaded "wait a year and apply". (Which honestly, was not all that bad!)

^ If I could financially swing waiting a year and then applying I would... but I can't. If I go more than 6 months without being a full time student I have to start paying back my loans, something that I definitely won't be able to do! I have to stay in school basically until I can get a "real" job and can afford to start paying off the loans. (which is EXTREMELY frustrating!)

[

Thanks for all the help.

I think you're shortchanging yourself if you apply by November 1 for Jan 1 deadlines. You lose two months that could be spent revising a writing sample, crafting a better personal statement, impressing professors, gaining more knowledge about the program, etc. They ARE NOT going to even look at it until after the deadline. So I asked for letters in mid-November for Jan 1 deadlines BUT all my profs knew I was planning on doing a PhD so they weren't surprised by the request. Yes, it can take profs months but letters are also the one thing that it's ok to have arrive late (and they will, even if your profs mail them on time and have to send the damn thing three times + electronically before the school says they have it).

If you want them done early, shoot for Dec 1 or Dec 15. I'm a procrastinator so I always do things on the last possible day... But really, November 1 makes no sense to me.