Accepted, deadline coming, still waiting for other schools

James D

Hello there!

I got accepted into a PhD in I/O Psych last week but I'm stil waiting on another program where I am waitlisted. That other program is where I would really like to go but I have had no news from them in a while.

The program that accepted me asked for a decision by next week.

My question is: Should I accept the first offer and then wait for the other program to decide or should i wait till next week to accept this offer?

Thanks

Do not accept an offer with the intent to decline it later! If you have time to not make a decision, use it. Contact the other program and explain that you have a deadline coming up and you would like a status update on your application. If they can't make a decision yet and consider you still in the running, contact the school you have an offer from and see if you can get the deadline extended. But regardless, until you absolutely have to, don't put yourself in the position of promising to attend one school while still hoping to actually attend another - its just headaches all around.

Do not accept an offer with the intent to decline it later! If you have time to not make a decision, use it. Contact the other program and explain that you have a deadline coming up and you would like a status update on your application. If they can't make a decision yet and consider you still in the running, contact the school you have an offer from and see if you can get the deadline extended. But regardless, until you absolutely have to, don't put yourself in the position of promising to attend one school while still hoping to actually attend another - its just headaches all around.

I absolutely agree with this post. It's better to communicate with both schools and get the most information you can. It's also better to ask for an extension than it is to resend an acceptance.

• 2 weeks later...

you're all right.

Also, they shouldn't be able to force a decision out of you before April 15th unless they aren't part of the Council or whatever it's called. Talk to the school where you're waitlisted.