Waitlisted but heard nothing yet. Is this normal?

claritro

I applied late at SUNY Upstate PHD program and after e-mailing I was told on 28 Apr 2008 :

"You are the second person on our waiting list. I do not know if or when that position will become available. This all depends on any one of the 19 positions filled. If two positions filled do not actually fulfill their agreement to attend school here in the fall or whatever reason then as your turn comes you would be offered a spot."

Then after asking again on 19 May 2008 :

"Our positions are ALL filled at this moment, however, you are on the wait list and 'on hold'. If and when you are offered a position, you will be properly notified."

I guess I was a little annoying but since it's now June 10 and there's still nothing, I am wondering is it any worth hopping for something. I think that I should have been informed by now if I am rejected since it is so late.

So, anyone have a clue? I will really appreciated any advice... Or if somebody has been or is in such a situation... :!:

I wouldn't hold your breath. From the sounds of it, unless someone who confirmed a spot pulls a no-show, you're likely not in. The chances of two people (>10%) from your class doing that is probably very low. Best to explore other options while hoping things eventually work out.

I know how hard it is to wait. and it is even harder to hold on to that 1% of chance of getting in. I do agree that the chances seem to be very slim at this point of waiting for someone to change their mind the last minute. I don't know how exactly the waitlist process run. The school that waitlisted me already had a couple students dropped out nearly one month ago. but they still haven't started the reselection process. Maybe it is because that more professors are taking vacations because of summer which slows down the process. I wish I could be more of a support. but at least, you know someone else is going through it with you at the same time. I am 99% giving up, but it is that 1% kept me going. I will give myself until August, then start with Plan B whatever it might be. I wish you the best luck and hope the good news will arrive at last!!!!

Bearcat,

I noticed you were in PT. I know someone else who is waitlisted for PT. When do they kick you off the wiatlist, are you on it right up until the start of the year? Also is it easier to get in the second year you apply (heard that somewere)?

Bobbo613,

Here is the message I received from the director of the PT program on 4/29:

"I promise to keep you inform as soon as a spot is available for you. And yes, it may happen even two weeks before the start of school..." last year this school accepted 4 people off the waitlist.....but I dont know when exactly it occurred.

Well, the answer is yes, looks like I will be waiting until school starts in August! The other school which I was placed on the waitlist started their new school year already. They never sent me a rejection letter. so, I guess not all schools will kick you out of the waiting list officially........it is kind better this way, that a bloody rejection letter would do more demanage to the self-esteem. so, I kind of glad that it ended quietly. ^______^

I certainly hope that second time around would have a better chance of getting in. However, the field is so competitve now days and the applicants have increased more than 50% this year vs. previous year. The school I am still waiting had 210 people applied a year ago, now they had 360 people compete for the same 35 spots........the competion is definitely getting tougher now.

I don't know, I don't think anyone could pack up and get ready for starting a new school year in two weeks. Maybe if you were in the same state or already lived nearby, could fit everything in your car on one trip, or you didn't need to move or ship stuff. To wait that long without something probable means you also couldn't apply for jobs until around then or have to make decisions on them before you hear from the school. Sounds like they're stringing you along just to ensure their piggy banks are filled.

I didn't think I'd get admitted anywhere this year because of the economy and competition (and it was my second year applying). Somehow I don't think the competition will get any better--probably worse. 35 spots? Wow! Both programs I got in took 5. One I was waitlisted for took only 3. One I applied to but didn't get in took only 2.