M.S. In Applied Math

Does anyone have special insight into what the value of Georgetown's M.S. in Math/Stats really is? I just got accepted into it, but still find myself somewhat confused about the mathematical rigor of the program relative to an M.S. in applied math from say, George Washington (I'm a working professional in DC who will be doing this part-time).

I'm torn between making this a terminal degree or trying to make a stepping-stone for an econ PhD, and so any comments on that angle would be great. Georgetown seems less mathematically rigorous, but some other programs (again, I have GW in mind) seem like the masters students might be an afterthought.

In general, where in life (really, career- I hate equating the two) will an M.S. in either of these programs take you, and how tough, really are they to get into? What exactly should I expect to be able to do next with them that I can't already do with good marks in economics and math BA from a good liberal arts school?

Thanks to all.

I was not impressed with the Georgetown Math/Stats program when checking it out and in conversation with the program chair. I believe that this is a program aimed for students for which the MS is a terminal degree. I do not believe a thesis is required which, from what I understand, is what PhD programs look for in students with a Masters by the time of admission. However, if you are satisfied with the MS and are working full-time and need the flexibility of a night program, Georgetown might be a good fit. The GW program does seem more mathematically rigorous.

Have you considered UMCP's Applied Math program? It is Metro accessible, and while it is not a night program, it does offer flexibility of students completing the program part-time. Additionally, UMCP's Applied Math program is much more highly regarded than either Georgetown or GW -- but that means the difficulty of admission is greater, I suppose.

I think if the financial cost is not too burdensome, you should go ahead with your plans and start the program. Even if a program is not as rigorous, with stellar grades and taking extra classes and more challenging classes, you could certainly prove yourself to be a worthy PhD candidate down the line.

Yea, missed the deadline on the Maryland program, although that does look like a good one. I'm interested in the comment about the Gtown MS in applied math and statistics (I guess the program includes some of each) being more like a MFe. Hadn't heard that anywhere else. As I'm up in the air about the econ PhD (something I'd always wanted to do but am having reservations about), I'm actually more intrigued by this program after hearing that. In case I want to go and make a transition into finance, anyone have any idea if this program will let you do that? I have zero business background and currently work as a research assistant at a policy institute. Very quantitative, very computational, given me a decent programming background, but not profit driven. Can this program possibly make me attractive on Wall Street despite this?

Thanks