Can't decide between Stanford and MIT

tatli cocuk

Hi all,

I am admitted to Materials Science and Engineering PhD program in MIT and EE program in Stanford (1 year fellowship). I cannot really decide between these two schools?Is there a difference between the reputations of these schools? After all, MIT is MIT, but there are very attractive research projects going on in Stanford as well, but there comes the qual examination concern. Also, my background is Electrical Engineering, so would it be difficult studying in MSE program in MIT?

I appreciate any help and advice about my decision.

Fit.

I agree, choose based on the fit of the program/professors/research - which degree field will get you the sort of job you want?

There really is no real difference in reputation between MIT and Stanford - if people are putting stock in your degree's name brand either will get you in the door.

Edited by LJK

Hi all,

I am admitted to Materials Science and Engineering PhD program in MIT and EE program in Stanford (1 year fellowship). I cannot really decide between these two schools?Is there a difference between the reputations of these schools? After all, MIT is MIT, but there are very attractive research projects going on in Stanford as well, but there comes the qual examination concern. Also, my background is Electrical Engineering, so would it be difficult studying in MSE program in MIT?

I appreciate any help and advice about my decision.

what do you mean by "but there comes the qual examination concern"....what concern is there?

either way man you cant lose, MIT has a world renowned reputation for Engineering, but I think Stanford has a world renowned education for not just Engineering, but for business/law, etc. I know your getting a PhD, but if you want to do and become more than just a research/professor, i'd go with Stanford for the combination of a great everything, networks from other departments, etc.

Also, check out both schools because there location's are completely different. My Engineering school is located in Boston and I was just by MIT yesterday, its a beautiful campus for a city person, but if you don't like the city life or a non-campus like feel, stay away from MIT. Can't say the same about Stanford - never been there - but to me it seems like Stanford is in a litle more residential area with a more campus-like feel, aka a little slower paced lifestyle/atmosphere.

Edited by hasseye