CUNY Hunter College

giantpanda

Me too! Which track did you choose? I was hoping to decide during the first semester, but I think they use this info to assign advisors (already got mine, very exciting!)

Prof. Jones - she has a lot of diverse experience, so I hope this can help me clarify my goals (I'm still on the fence between Epi and Biostat). I got my advisor assignment once I accepted the offer of admission; I guess that's when you'll get yours too, if you haven't responded to them yet. I'm really curious to know when they'll have an open house / orientation, and what our next steps should be?

Prof. Jones - she has a lot of diverse experience, so I hope this can help me clarify my goals (I'm still on the fence between Epi and Biostat). I got my advisor assignment once I accepted the offer of admission; I guess that's when you'll get yours too, if you haven't responded to them yet. I'm really curious to know when they'll have an open house / orientation, and what our next steps should be?

mine's Professor Talih. read this

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/graduateadmissions/new-graduate-students

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, did you guys consider any other manhattan programs? I was really wondering, how does Hunter College compare to NYU's program??

Hi, I looked into Columbia's MPH programs, which are unfortunately not part-time friendly, and pretty much impossible to do if you have a 9-5 job. I don't know about NYU's Epi program, but what I like about Hunter's is that they combine both Epi and Biostat in one program, and you can choose which one you want to focus on, but still study both. When compared to Columbia, Hunter's faculty also seem much more committed. I've taken some classes at Columbia's SPH and always felt that nobody really cared much for me being there. From talking with faculty at Hunter, I got the impression that they are all putting a lot of work into building the new School of Urban Public Health, and really want to work for its reputation. For example, one professor I spoke to seriously wants to work with students to help them get their master's projects published. At a place at Columbia, my impression is that they are quite content with the reputation the school already has, and some faculty I know are just not that committed to their students. I recently took a class there taught by a PhD student who just didn't know very well how to teach - is this the quality one gets for $4K per class? All in all, I don't have any concerns about the quality of the Hunter program, and as such, I'm very unwilling to pay much much more for NYU or Columbia - I'm just not convinced they're worth the money. I'm quite new to the field, so this is my reasoning. If you're already committed to a specific issue or there is a research area you want to focus on, choosing another school for their specific faculty or resources may certainly make a lot more sense.