MSFS, SIPA, SAIS: Tough Decision Time

Looking for input on a tough two part decision; first, between MSFS or SIPA and second, between attending this fall or applying for a deferral and entering next fall.

Difference is entering this fall with aprx 14-16k USD of savings or hoping a deferral is granted and entering next year with 26-28k USD. Have been offered a stimulating 10mo. work oppty which would be extraordinary in terms of content and lessen need for program loans. (Neither has offered first yr funding).

Other part is between MSFS & SIPA which I see boils down to: a smaller, more public sector oriented program compared to a slightly larger, more 50/50 private/public oriented program (plus NYC setting).

Career goals aren't set in stone but center around Dept of State (FSO or Policy Planning) or private sector political risk for a consulting firm or an i-bank.

(Waitlisted to SAIS but not considering as seriously as MSFS/SIPA)

What is the likelihood of a deferral being granted to either program? (SIPA seems possible, MSFS less likely) Am I missing other distinctions between the two programs? From a financial perspective, does the difference in ultimate debt matter that much in the long run?

Many thanks

Edited by laserjpb

Looking for input on a tough two part decision; first, between MSFS or SIPA and second, between attending this fall or applying for a deferral and entering next fall.

Difference is entering this fall with aprx 14-16k USD of savings or hoping a deferral is granted and entering next year with 26-28k USD. Have been offered a stimulating 10mo. work oppty which would be extraordinary in terms of content and lessen need for program loans. (Neither has offered first yr funding).

Other part is between MSFS & SIPA which I see boils down to: a smaller, more public sector oriented program compared to a slightly larger, more 50/50 private/public oriented program (plus NYC setting).

Career goals aren't set in stone but center around Dept of State (FSO or Policy Planning) or private sector political risk for a consulting firm or an i-bank.

(Waitlisted to SAIS but not considering as seriously as MSFS/SIPA)

What is the likelihood of a deferral being granted to either program? (SIPA seems possible, MSFS less likely) Am I missing other distinctions between the two programs? From a financial perspective, does the difference in ultimate debt matter that much in the long run?

Many thanks

In your situation, I would recommend serious consideration of turning down your offers entirely. Your list of admits suggests to me that, with additional experience, you should have little difficulty gaining admission to a good program after another year. You would not only be able to increase your personal savings, but also increase your odds of being awarded scholarship funding at a good program. I really think that you have little to lose, and potentially much to gain, by working for a year and not committing to unfunded opportunities. You may wish to ask programs if students who defer for a year are 'locked into' a commitment (I do not know how this works). I think it would be wise to keep your options open.

Good luck.

Edited by s33

As far as your career goals go, it might be important to consider that Georgetown SFS, and MSFS in particular, is basically the feeder school for State. SFS/MSFS graduates more FSOs than any other school in the country (and that stat is on their site; I'm just posting from my phone, so I can't link you). SIPA may be slightly more helpful in the private sector, but my personal opinion is that the benefit would be negligible.

That work deal sounds pretty dope. If you think you'll learn a lot and only a yr or two out of undergrad, def do it. If the salary is low and it might not be challenging, go ahead and go to school. Would you rather be making 60k in two years or in three years?

Thanks folks. (As far as my background, I'm 3yrs out of undergrad making within 5% or so of what I can expect to make out of an IR program; so, like they say, won't be doing it for the money...which is a bit stressful to be thinking about)

Any other input on likelihood of deferral at SIPA and MSFS? Also, insight as to the firepower of MSFS in the private sector as compared to SIPA?

Thanks folks. (As far as my background, I'm 3yrs out of undergrad making within 5% or so of what I can expect to make out of an IR program; so, like they say, won't be doing it for the money...which is a bit stressful to be thinking about)

Any other input on likelihood of deferral at SIPA and MSFS? Also, insight as to the firepower of MSFS in the private sector as compared to SIPA?

I think SIPA would defer your admission uncoditionally. MSFS seems a bit tougher though, but a new job offer should work. In any case, you're gonna have to wait a couple of weeks to hear their final decision.

My decision is between SFS/SIPA/Fletcher/SAIS. As has been said in part, SFS is largely a State department feeder. I actually know one guy though who went from SFS to goldman sachs as an entry-level analyst, but he said that was extremely rare, and said that if you're interested in banking then he would only recommend an MBA. Of the schools I mentioned, SAIS and SIPA have the best private sector numbers (40% and 47%, respectively). SFS and Fletcher are more like a quarter of grads going into the private sector. If you are dead-set on a policy career, SFS might be better. If you want private sector though, SIPA would probably give you more options. I've heard SFS is pretty narrowly focused, but then I've only talked to 5 or 6 people.If the job you're looking at would be a step toward what you want to do long-term, then I would definitely try to defer. SIPA has a detailed doc on their website, basically it says that deferrals are case by case.I was also looking at working before attending SIPA, to save money, but it wouldn't be a step forward career-wise, so I'm just gonna go into more debt but I'll be doing what I want to do a year earlier (hopefully).not sure if it's a factor for you, but the average age at SFS is younger than SIPA. SFS takes a good number of kids out of undergrad, and I've heard there are actually SFS undergrads in some of the classes.