Conflict with Advisor

I am in a MA program now. I anticipate to graduate this June. But I am having a hard time with my advisor. We have fundamental differences on my project. He is absolutely taking over my project. I have written 80 pages and I am quite happy about it. He wants me to make very fundamental changes. Come on! I need to submit the finalized version this May. I debated with him. He was so mean to me that he said "Go find another advisor!"

I kept silent! I have not talked to him ever since.

Do you think I should change my advisor at this point?

Has anyone done this before?

If I change my advisor and find a new one, will they let me graduate on time?

Will the dean stand by my advisor? What are the politics?

I am going to talk to the dean Monday.

Any advice?

Please.

Thank you!

Dear troubled MA...,

I can only tell you what I might do.

First, you must make peace. Go eat humble pie and say it is stress and you are sorry about being so defensive about your project.

A. In the mean time...go to a professor with whom you have a good relationship and ask politely if they will take you on. if yes...

Second, suggest politely that since you have annoyed him /her you might find another adviser for a fresh start in the time remaining . If the professor wouldn't mind. blah blah be nice....

B. Inform new adviser and do paper work necessary...

Third, if A fails, kiss butt and cut your thesis. You can rewrite it later. Get your grade and leave with great recommendations and a sort of bar brawl hand shake, ..we fought and then bonded....Thank him /her for opening your eyes. You needed the shake up.

If he /she hates you after the first apology then beg your head of department for forgivenss and assistance.

I guess you thought of all this, but it might help to hear it laid out...

best Marguerite

I am in a MA program now. I anticipate to graduate this June. But I am having a hard time with my advisor. We have fundamental differences on my project. He is absolutely taking over my project. I have written 80 pages and I am quite happy about it. He wants me to make very fundamental changes. Come on! I need to submit the finalized version this May. I debated with him. He was so mean to me that he said "Go find another advisor!"

I kept silent! I have not talked to him ever since.

Do you think I should change my advisor at this point?

Has anyone done this before?

If I change my advisor and find a new one, will they let me graduate on time?

Will the dean stand by my advisor? What are the politics?

How fundamental are these changes? Are they ones necessary to have your work taken seriously? (Also, how on earth did you write 80 pages before being told this?) I've never known anyone to change advisors at this point, at least not without incurring a significant delay in finishing the thesis and graduating.

To me, this is a time when you should be meeting with the rest of your committee to see what they think of the changes your advisor is asking you to make. If your committee also thinks those "very fundamental changes" are necessary, then you're going to have to either make them or scrap the entire committee. Or, perhaps you can find a way to get one of your committee members agree to be your advisor and then all you have to do is find someone else on the faculty to join the committee.

What you don't want is to piss anyone off in your department. You're going to need every single ally you can get, especially if you end up having to either reshape your committee or form a completely new one.

I am going to talk to the dean Monday.

Any advice?

Please.

Thank you!

Why are you going to talk to the dean? The first person you should talk to is the Director of Graduate Studies in your department/program. If that person is unavailable, then meet with the chair of the department. Only after you've used all the resources in your department should you go see a dean.